• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Casting Call!

Started by Bynw, March 06, 2007, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Alkari

Yes, Colin Firth would certainly do it well.   From a stuttering Prince and then King, to a brave and determined human Bishop standing up for his beliefs - yes, Firth would do a good job.

Of course, by the time Evie finished casting heart-throbs as Duncan and Denis Arilan, and we got a handsome and dashing Alaric, plus KK's choice for young Kelson - well, they'd be beating off the female fans at the doors!  :D   

DesertRose

I like Colin Firth as Cardiel.  That's a good call.  Wonder if we'd get that lucky. :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Alkari

After seeing the various appearances at yesterday's Oscars, I think we could change BalnceTheEnergies' original suggested list and have Christian Bale as Wencit rather than Warin de Grey.  The moment I saw Bale with that pointy beard yesterday, my mind shrieked:  "Wencit!" . 

BalanceTheEnergies

QuoteI like Colin Firth as Cardiel.  That's a good call.  Wonder if we'd get that lucky. Smiley

We might. Given what I've read about his recent stint at programming for the BBC and his viewership of MSNBC's Countdown, I think the themes would appeal to him personally. There's also plenty for him to do: leading the schism, discovering Arilan's identity, watching magic in action, arguing with Morgan and Duncan when the cousins go to the rebel bishops to dispute their excommunication (and use their powers in church), scowling when Duncan gives Dhugal that very special accolade, dealing with the crisis over Henry Istelyn, lending support when Duncan consecrates that altar in the Camber chapel...

QuoteAfter seeing the various appearances at yesterday's Oscars, I think we could change BalnceTheEnergies' original suggested list and have Christian Bale as Wencit rather than Warin de Grey.  The moment I saw Bale with that pointy beard yesterday, my mind shrieked:  "Wencit!" .

Perhaps. I saw the beard and the energy of his award-winning performance and saw the fanaticism and charisma of Warin de Grey. I kept thinking that while watching Slate's slideshow of quiet supporting performances. Specifically, I pictured Mr. Hart in the role of Duncan offering himself to be stabbed, and Mr. Bale doing it.

Dubito ergo sum

Alkari

But Wencit is a slightly larger part, and he needs to come across in a number of ways.  He is a well-respected person in Torenth, after all, so he needs to come across as a leader and very powerful Deryni there.  Plus he is the coldly charming and scheming person who persuades Bran into treachery, who tortures Derry, and who arranges / helps Bran to arrange, the little 'reception' involving the Cassani soldiers.  He also has his own long-standing grudges against Haldanes and Morgan.   I think it might be easier to get someone for Warin's part, which is really only two main scenes - the Healing witnessed by Derry, and the stabbing scene to which you refer.  His other appearances, including the scene where Loris and co are taken in Coroth Castle, are basically 'walk-ons'.

Evie

Heh.  Well, as Christian Bale with a goatee is already my mental image for my sociopathic fanfic character Walter, it's hardly a stretch at all for me to imagine him as either the charismatic and fanatical Warin or the powerful and scheming Wencit.   ;D   Though I see him more as Warin because of his overall appearance, I agree with Alkari that he does have the "right stuff" to play Wencit as well--and is a big enough name to probably prefer the meatier role--if the longtime fans are willing to overlook the fact that he looks nothing like Wencit is depicted in the books.  (Personally, if he were cast as Wencit, I'd rather see him play the role as-is rather than try to fit him with colored contacts and hair dye to make him look the part, because I suspect russet hair would look awful with his complexion.  No one but the diehard fans would know he's supposed to have russet hair and foxlike features to go with his foxlike cunning, after all, so a dark-haired Wencit wouldn't be a big deal for general audiences.)

Or we could have Jason Isaacs as Wencit and Christian Bale as Warin, and I'll just start rooting for the bad guys from now on....   ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

the Bee

Quote from: Alkari on February 28, 2011, 11:56:44 PM
But Wencit is a slightly larger part, and he needs to come across in a number of ways.  He is a well-respected person in Torenth, after all, so he needs to come across as a leader and very powerful Deryni there.  Plus he is the coldly charming and scheming person who persuades Bran into treachery, who tortures Derry, and who arranges / helps Bran to arrange, the little 'reception' involving the Cassani soldiers.  He also has his own long-standing grudges against Haldanes and Morgan.   I think it might be easier to get someone for Warin's part, which is really only two main scenes - the Healing witnessed by Derry, and the stabbing scene to which you refer.  His other appearances, including the scene where Loris and co are taken in Coroth Castle, are basically 'walk-ons'.

But those scenes and characters don't appear until Deryni Checkmate.  Maybe we can give Bale a major role in the sequel to Deryni Rising.

BalanceTheEnergies

Well, none of this is set in stone. Not the casting; we could go with Branaugh as Cardiel and Firth as Arilan (to give another example). Not the relative size of Warin's part; his role could be expanded, with his coping with his changing beliefs as a parallel or counterpoint to Jehana's development.

BTW, isn't Checkmate the sequel to Rising?
Dubito ergo sum

Rahere

Go search around Alleyns' for the right youngster, that's the kind of School where the right script could make this a runner. If you've never heard of the place, it was the crucible of the entire Youth Theatre movement, produced Jude Law, Florence (and the nuts and bolts of the Machine), one Chemical Brother, Sam West, Pixie Geldoff, the list gos on and on...

Arilan s Fan

I hope the silence on and off the board about "Deryni Rising - the Movie" does not indicate that the whole project has ground to a halt.

Populating the movie with talent from around the British Isles would be the saving of the budget as well add a sense of cultural continuity for the to-be-hoped-for franchise.  You wouldn't have to be as stodgy as casting Irish actors as Mearans, but having actors play Mearans as Irish.  I offer the example in ignorance of exactly what the best real world equivalent the Katherine Kurtz had in mind when she created Meara.

The European actors get a crack at the big American market, the film industry gets their need to test talent in different roles, and we get a movie that is completed.

On this thread I have seen the cruel fate of film actors being fondly suggested long after their ability to play the role has passed.  I would have liked to have seen Rebecca De Mornay play Charissa, but that will never be.  I wish for Charissa to be played in a similar way that Rebecca De Mornay played Lady D'Winter.  The mind wobbles to think what a sufficiently young Faye Dunaway would have done with the part.

derynifanatic64

We can always hope that a Deryni movie will be made, but it doesn't look like it.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

AnnieUK

If it is made, find the person or casting company responsible for casting Game of Thrones for HBO and hire them! The casting for that series has been superb, with the right combination of well-known faces, up-and-comings and unknowns and each of them pretty spot on for their roles. The only one I was less than convinced about was Jon Snow as he wasn't my mental image of Jon Snow at all, but the actor has done a decent job, so he's winning me over gradually. I hope he has the depth for the role as it develops.

And while I'm on the subject, I am now campaigning for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to be Alaric. He is Jaime Lannister in GoT and he's as close a match to "my" Alaric as I've seen in a long time.

http://getasword.com/blog/822-game-of-thrones-first-pictures/

Check out that pic and tell me you can't see Richenda falling for him when their eyes meet when he pushes her carriage at St Torins!

Alkari

Agree with AnnieUK - the critical thing is to get the actors who are right for their roles.   Country of origin is not terribly important, especially as many actors can do a variety of accents: look at the  Lord of the Rings trilogy, with actors from a number of different countries.  

QuoteThe European actors get a crack at the big American market,
Not really an issue these days.  Time was when the very parochial American market 'demanded' American actors (and even had 'strange' accents subtitled!), and it was often hard for other very deserving and talented actors to get a break.   But there are plenty of very successful recent movies with all-British (or a wider European) casts.   The Harry Potter franchise hasn't done too badly with having an all-British cast, after all  :D     And there are movies when the actual storyline demands a non-US cast - e.g. The King's Speech, and Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy.    I believe that there was some pressure on Spielberg to put some US actors in Warhorse, but one of the few good things he did with that movie was refuse those demands, saying that the story was about British, French and German people.  

Yes, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau looks pretty OK for Alaric  :D    Well, *I'd* go and watch him in the role, LOL.   Now all we need to do is find a suitable Duncan for poor Evie ...

PS:  Am still hanging out for Mark Strong as Wencit.  The man is just so very good at being bad !!    (He's naturally bald, but give him a suitable wig ... )  

AnnieUK

My latest suggestion for Duncan. Don't think even Evie can find *too* much fault with him.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1895990016/nm1485069