• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 209
Total: 209
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Casting Call!

Started by Bynw, March 06, 2007, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyrfalcon64207

You just like tormenting them.  Admit it.

Evie

As my other favorite author (Lois McMaster Bujold) advises, when it comes to writing, "Think of the worst possible thing you can do to your character(s), then do it.  And then figure out how your character deals with that situation.  Lather, rinse, repeat, and there's your story."  OK, so that's a very broad paraphrase, but it's advice that seemed to work well enough when I was writing ANAMCHARA, at least, and right now it's serving me in good stead as I torture work on a scene with Derry....   :D

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

the Bee

I can see Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt from The Mentalist TV series) as Jehana.

derynifanatic64

Maybe Ian Somerhalder (Damon from "Vampire Diaries") or Steven McQueen (Jeremy from "Vampire Diaries" for Conall.  McQueen's brooding portrayal of Jeremy might do for a younger Conall--Somerhalder for an older Conall for his bad side (pushing Tiercel down that secret fireplace or using magic to nearly kill his own father Nigel).
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Alkari

Mmmm - like either of those two.   ;)   '

I think Steven McQueen would be better (with darker hair) as Ian Somerhalder is a bit too old for even Older Conall, who was only 18 in QFSC.  Of course, I'm sure Evie will come up with some role for him!  :D

I am still looking for an ideal Alaric: I keep finding 'older' versions, like this nice Italian actor Kaspar Capparoni:-

*sigh*  Will keep looking ....

Evie

Quote from: Alkari on January 20, 2011, 08:53:34 PM
I think Steven McQueen would be better (with darker hair) as Ian Somerhalder is a bit too old for even Older Conall, who was only 18 in QFSC.  Of course, I'm sure Evie will come up with some role for him!  :D

Oh yeah, Annie pointed Somerhalder out to me in chat recently.  I was thinking he looks a bit more Sextus Arilan-ish, though obviously Sextus wouldn't be in a DR movie.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

Alkari

Well, Denis Arilan is only late 30s in the DR, DC and HD trilogy, so maybe we age him slightly and have him for Denis! 

Evie

I suppose that would be easier than making Timothy Dalton look young enough again to play Denis.   :D

--WARNING!!!--

derynifanatic64

How about Peter O'Toole to play either Creoda or Patrick Corrigan?

DesertRose

Ooh, yeah, since he's too old to be Camber, he'd make a great Creoda.  I saw him play a scheming churchman on "The Tudors" and he did beautifully.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

derynifanatic64

He was the top scheming churchman (The Pope himself) on the Tudors.

tenworld

>author=DesertRose
>Ooh, yeah, since he's too old to be Camber, he'd make a great Creoda.  I saw him play a scheming >churchman on "The Tudors" and he did beautifully.

Anyone see what NCIS did with the Vance character?  They had him playing a 20 year younger self so well, people were asking how they found a young actor that matched so well.

they used makeup plus CGI

DesertRose

Makeup plus CGI would do well enough to de-age his face and all, but the problem is, at least from my point of view, that Peter O'Toole's health has gotten a bit fragile, and I don't think he has the vigor for Camber any more, sadly.  Fifteen years ago, he'd have made a GREAT Camber, in my opinion, but he just doesn't have the vim for the role now, I don't think.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Alkari

Agree, alas, Desert Rose.   O'Toole could do a 'walk on ' part as old Carsten perhaps, but I think we have to look for someone else as Camber.  

I totally support BalanceTheEnergies' suggestion of Derek Jacobi as Camber.   Of course, they'd better make the movies before HE gets too old, LOL - in which case we could reconsider the role for either Patrick Stewart or Richard E Grant.   Better still - the wonderful Ian McKellen.   Camber is not actually an "old" person in the Camber trilogy, so we don't need someone too elderly.

ETA:  Still trying to work out where we'd fit him in, but I'd just love a role for one of my favourite character actors, Robert Carlyle.   He does Evil really well too!

BalanceTheEnergies

Yes, I do wish they'd get on with it. I stand by my choice of Sir Derek for Camber (perhaps it's the voice as much as anything else), and my selection of Sir Patrick for Barrett, as I have seen his recent Shakespeare efforts  and (on that evidence) believe he has what it takes for the Transfer Portal scene with Jehana in KKB. I also hope they do as in LOTR and shoot as much at once when everybody is together.

I also think this is the cultural moment for these movies to be made and succeed. More on that in another post shortly.

By the way, in light of The King's Speech, I'm thinking of Colin Firth for the role of Thomas Cardiel. What say you?
Dubito ergo sum