• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,485
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Codex inconsistency list? Codex #3 "fix" list.

Started by wombat1138, June 09, 2010, 12:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

ah-ha! Another dependency is found.

The time line states Roisian Queen of Gywenedd dieing on March 30, 1055 (page 312).
The entry under Malcolm Haldane (page 168), also says she died on March 30, 1055.
Whereas, the entry under Roisain Quinnell Haldane (Page 219), states she died on the  IIIrd day of January in the year 1055.

When I did the charts, I was going directly to each person's entry when ever possible to get my facts. I hope this gets corrected to the January date for all three entries, otherwise it does look suspicious that Prince Richard was conceived the week after Queen Roisian passed away. (I checked the weeks). When the news of the Queen passing was announced, how many fathers then suddenly paraded their eligible daughters before the Widower King?  And how did the Earl of Sheele's pretty daughter catch the kings eye? Malcolm married Sile about the week she would have known for certain that she was with child. Not a mere coincidence, I am sure.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Laurna

Under Donal Blaine Haldane, Codex page 82- Donal's youngest son is given the name Prince Joachim Roy Walter Cinhil Haldane.
In the Childe Morgan trilogy the prince's name is Jathan and he died a the end of October in the year 1095. His death should be added to the time line as well, since it leads to King Donal's illness and death on Nov 14, 1095.

lenni

I've got a couple of differences in the Vastouni line. Here's the first one.

Prince Atun/Antun Vastouni (grandfather of Sofiana) has two different names - Atun vs. Antun:
ITKS - Prince Atun (sources - 2nd page of chapter 5; Appendix I/Index of Characters ATUN, PRINCE)
Codex2 - Prince Antun (sources - Andelon, list of Counts and Princes; Mikhail Maks Vastouni, Sovereign Prince of Andelon.)

Lenni

lenni

Here is the second problem in the Vastouni line. Both of these deal with Prince Mikhail Vastouni (father of Sofiana).

When did his father (Atun/Antun) die?
ITKS - fall 1081: "...Fate had dealt the redoubtable Mikhail of Andelon a double blow in the past twelvemonth, making him Sovereign Prince the previous autumn, through the death of his father and Khoren's brother, Prince Atun, ..." - from 2nd page or so of Chapter 5

Codex2 - May 1081: "The Prince Mikhail succeeded his father on the Vth day of May in the year 1081." - from entry, Mikhail Maks Vastouni, Sovereign Prince of Andelon

-------

When did Prince Mikhail marry Alinor Cardiel:
ITKS - Sief MacAthan dies then Prince Mikhail marries Alinor Cardiel then (immediately!) Prince Khoren is asked to join the Camberian Councial then Prince Khoren joins the Camberian Council:
Summer-ish 1082/Day or so after (I think) Sief MacAthan died (Chapter 5)- "... and that morning had seen his young nephew, his brother's heir [Lenni - although his brother Atun/Antun had been dead from 6 to 12 months!], happily remarried."
(Chapter 6) - "In fact, several weeks passed before that task [Lenni - swearing Prince Khoren into the Camberian Council] could be accomplished, though this changed nothing regarding access to Jessamy's infant son. Prince Khoren Vastouni was duly pledged to the Camberian Council at midsummer: ..."

Codex2 - ", ... he intermarried secondly with Alinor Lady Cardiel sister of Father Thomas Lord Cardiel later Archbishop of Rhemuth on the 1st day of October in the year 1082, ..."

lenni

A third problem with the Vastouni line. This deals with Prince Khoren.

Is Prince Khoren Vastouni the brother of Prince Mikhail or the uncle of Prince Mikhail or both (two different men)?
ITKS - *ATUN, PRINCE - late Prince of Andelon, father of Mikhail and Khoren
ITKS - MIKHAIL VASTOUNI, PRINCE - sovereign Prince of Andelon and nephew of Prince Khoren.

To the best of my knowledge, Prince Khoren is not mentioned in either Codex.

Lenni

Elkhound

"Of this matter two things are said, the truth of which was known only to the Wise who are gone."--appears with variants in HOME.   In dealing with such a wide range of years and subjects, one can expect some contradictions based on conflicting sources (on the one hand) and (on the others, especially from the days before printing) scribal errors.  The exact spelling of someone's name or if someone died at the beginning or the end of a month is precisely the sort of contradiction one might expect to find; in short, 'it isn't a bug, it's a feature."

Laurna

I do not know if this is mentioned yet.

Ratharkin- A new heading needs to be made for the newly granted Duchy of Ratharkin and its first duke, Rory Haldane in the year 1128

Laurna

Found a new inconsistency. It might just be a date Typo, hard to tell.

Codex page 128- James "Jamie" Drummond (III) was born on 8 May 876. He was named after his elder brother who had passed away at the age of Eight on 21 August 875. This is OK.
Codex timeline page 275 May 8 875 - "Lord James born to Henry Lord Drummond". The Date has to be wrong because Jamie is born after his elder brother dies not before. This needs to be fixed.

Now, I can see why they changed James's birth year from 875 to 876. However, this causes a problem with the birth of Jamie's sister, Ardis II Drummond who was born 7 August 876. Codex page 34. It is just Not possible for the siblings to be born 3 months apart.  ;) They are either twins born together or are born a year apart.  I think the best fix would be to have Ardis born the year before in 875 in that way she will be 17 years old instead of 16 when she marries, other wise, just make the siblings twins.  And do not forget to correct the timelines on page 275.

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Codex page 183 House of Morgan "The arms of the house are: sable, a double tressure or, argent flory."
This will be Kenneth Morgan's arms and that of his ancestors. The question is if the "argent flory" is correct or if it should be "flory-counter-flory or" which is the Morgan portion of Alaric Morgan's combined shield of his mother and father.
Alaric's is  "sable, a gryphon segreant vert within a double tressure flory-counter-flory or"

I asked KK in chat and she said she suspected that the listing under House of Morgan was a miss- typing, but she would review it.