• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

KK Chat - Aug. 5, 2001 (pt. 2)

Started by RainbowDragon, July 08, 2008, 12:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainbowDragon

KK Chat - Aug. 5, 2001, pt. 2

[17:14] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Yes...microchips used to identify lost pets...
[17:14] <emily> Jessie, you are so patient :-)
[17:14] <Shiral> Actually, Cyberpets aren't far off...
[17:14] * Kiri` my guys are micro-chipped..   it's much easier if they ever got lost
[17:14] <Shiral> I want
[17:14] <Shiral> BRB
[17:14] <Kiri`> re harvey!
[17:14] <KK> The microchips also carry details of medical history, shots, etc.
[17:14] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Sad thing is that the technology can and probably will be abused...
[17:14] <emily> Do you have flower beds, are is it  mostly country side?
[17:14] <emily> I am an avid gardener
[17:14] <Jessie> they tested it on pets -- but the planned use is for in humans
[17:14] * virtualbabe is quietly boggling at the idea of microchipped pets
[17:14] <Kiri`> mine are the early ones.. they don't.  but the AKC has those details.
[17:15] <Helenmary> Wow, the UK chips must be more advanced than what we have here.  That sounds great.
[17:15] <Mike> Does it hurt for the micro chips to be in them?  (feeling sympathy pains)
[17:15] <Maele> It's a tiny thing, vitualbabe, smaller than your fingernail, that they slip under the skin, usually around the neck.  Not painful.
[17:15] <KK> It's lawn in back--and lots of weeds up on the terrace, because our gardener seems to have done a Houdini; mostly grave out front; paving slabs down in the sunken garden.
[17:15] <Sedina> It's a fairly uninvasive procedure
[17:15] <emily> They insert the micro chips?
[17:15] <Kiri`> debbie - it's a great method.  lots of pets get returned to their very worried owners that way =)
[17:15] <Kiri`> it's TINY...  they give it in a shot.
[17:16] <the_Bee> who's buried in the grave, KK?
[17:16] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Gravel, silly.
[17:16] <Helenmary> All of our dogs have had it - didn't mind a bit
[17:16] <Wrengl>  Canada requires nicrochipping for registration of dogs.
[17:16] <KK> Yeah, I think they usually put it under skin at the scruff of the neck.
[17:16] <Sedina> Yup...that's the standard location for insertion.
[17:16] <Kiri`> you put a grave out front?  now tha'ts a daring design.. ;) *teasing*
[17:16] <KK> Gravel out front.  Graves are at the side--kitty graves, alas.
[17:17] <Kiri`> aww.. poor itties.
[17:17] <lbarms> poor kitties
[17:17] <Sedina> Aww...
[17:17] <Kelric> sigh.  the passing of a cat can be a hard thing.
[17:17] * virtualbabe sniffles @ the thought of Kitty graves
[17:17] <Wrengl>  yes it can.  We are getting ready for that now.
[17:17] <KK> Yeah, we've got about 4 cats buried out there.  And one cat's ashes.
[17:18] <emily> Katherine, how is DA coming along?
[17:18] <Kiri`> i'm having all my pets (the ones already gone) buried ith me.
[17:18] <emily> Do you think it will be out by the fall?
[17:18] <KK> I edited I think 3 stories today.
[17:18] <emily> Wow
[17:19] <emily> It's really nice that you encourage the fan fic. :-)
[17:19] <KK> The Ace DA anthology will be out next year; the next DA 'zine is supposed to be ready for Darkover.
[17:19] <Shiral> I think so too, Emily <G>
[17:20] <emily> Do we have an update on Codex 2?
[17:20] <virtualbabe> another thing I'm probably gonna miss
[17:20] <Jessie> Julianne indicated that if she didn't get the DA Zine out by August 15th -- it wouldn't be out till after January
[17:20] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Why are some authors so paranoid about fanfic?
[17:20] <Kiri`> nerves
[17:20] * lbarms likes Jessie's Jehana fanfic
[17:20] <KK> There's a dynamite one about how the Haldane brooch came to be made; and one set in modern times, bringing the Eleven Kingdoms into the here and now; and Jasta's wonderful story about gardening gloves....
[17:20] <emily> Thank you Jessie
[17:20] <Wrengl>  They are worried about their copyrights.
[17:20] <Mike> You need a new computer more, Debbie.  *smile*
[17:21] <virtualbabe> I know, this is a total dinosaur of a 'pooter
[17:21] <Shiral> I know that Julianne's got a story for this issue too
[17:21] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Fanfic is written (99% of the time) with full knowledge that it is unpublishable...
[17:21] <Kiri`> yes the gardening gloves =)
[17:21] <emily> I'm really looking forward to them!
[17:21] <Wrengl>  Can't forget the gardening gloves!
[17:22] * Kelos_al-Hazar mentions Tiger Direct to virtualbabe...
[17:22] * Sedina can't wait to get her copies of the DA that Julianne is sending her. Loves all the fan fic
[17:22] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Incredible prices there...
[17:22] <KK> They own their own character rights.  My attitude is that as long as fan fiction is only for the fan's enjoyment, I have no problem.  But that doesn't give them any ownership rights.
[17:22] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Exactly.
[17:22] <emily> Of course not, it's your universe
[17:23] <Shiral> Computersaurus, Debbie?
[17:23] <Wrengl>  That is true.  But some authors still worry.  I remember when we contacted Ann McCaffery about Pern Portfolio, the first Pern zine. Took us a long time to get her permission to do it.
[17:23] <virtualbabe> and a lot of times fanfic does change major characters around in ways the author doesn't want them
[17:23] <emily> My husband is a computer guy, he has many prehistoric computers, along with up to date ones.
[17:23] <KK> Yeah, but apparently some authors have had some fans who don't feel that way.  I have to say that all of <my> fans have always been wonderful.  :-)
[17:23] <Kelos_al-Hazar> I know I mainly write what fanfic I do, in order to become a better writer...which is the reason I am trying to avoid direct use of KK's main characters...
[17:24] <emily> He doesn't collect old cars, he collects old computers
[17:24] <Helenmary> Well, at least old computers take up less room...
[17:24] <Sedina> LOL Helenmary
[17:24] <Wrengl>  That is true, Helenmary
[17:24] <emily> Oh no, they take up plenty of room, right Rebecca?
[17:25] <emily> old computers are big computers
[17:25] <KK> I encourage folk who want to write fan fiction set in the Deryni universe to create their own characters, and only to touch on my characters in passing, in ways that wouldn't impact on the canonical story line.
[17:25] <Wrengl>  Still less than old cars!
[17:25] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Old computers are harder to maintain in working order every year. :(
[17:25] <emily> true, and thay are fun
[17:25] <Rebecca> Yes they do Emily! <BG>
[17:25] <emily> all of Bill's work, he likes to tinker with them
[17:26] <KK> One of the writing excercises I recommend is to write an episode for a series you like, whose characters and universe you know.  Then you can concentrate on dialog, plot, pacing, etc. rather than creating the whole shebang at once.
[17:26] <lbarms> my husband just told me that a friend of ours who runs a computer store told him it would be best to get a new laptop instead of trying to repair mine
[17:26] <emily> Actually most of the computers we own were ones he salvaged from multiple broken ones.
[17:26] <Kiri`> KK - i was going to submit a piece to DA.. but didn't cause it involved main characters.. admittedly in ways that don't tamper with the storylkine..
[17:26] <Kelric> gtg
[17:26] *** Kelric  Quit (QUIT: User exited)
[17:26] *** scribbler has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[17:27] <Sedina> Hi scribbler!
[17:27] <emily> Lbarms, which is probably true, it is probably cheaper in the long run because you pay for labor, but this is Bill's hobby so labor isn't an issue
[17:27] <scribbler> hi all...
[17:27] <Maele> <--- waves to scribbler
[17:27] <lbarms> true
[17:27] <KK> Some folk can handle the established characters.  Jasta's story is a case in point, about Nigel and Meraude.  Shiral has done a wonderful story about Dhugal as a boy at court, which will be in the Ace anthology.
[17:27] * virtualbabe waves @ scribbler
[17:27] <Wrengl>  Hi Scribbler
[17:27] <scribbler> sorry I'm late....had to go grab lunch after church...
[17:27] <Kiri`> hi roberta!
[17:27] <scribbler> Hi Kiri -- you were away when I was in last night!
[17:27] <Shiral> I'm back, pesky patrons
[17:28] <KK> BTW, I <think> a friend sorted out my printer problem.
[17:28] <emily> hi roberta
[17:28] * scribbler sends pesky patron-banishing spell to Shiral....
[17:28] <Shiral> Oh my, I'm flattered, KK <G><
[17:28] <virtualbabe> maybe he can help me with mine next
[17:28] <Sedina> Shiral - tell them you're busy.  *giggles*
[17:28] <emily> I am very lucky to be married to Bill, because I know very little about computers.
[17:28] <Helenmary> In a way I would think it would be easier NOT to use the established characters - you don't have to get them to sound right
[17:28] <Kelos_al-Hazar> One of the sad things is that I used to have a 150+ page (manuscript typed) story set in the Pern universe...now long-since lost. Six moves in under four years will do that to you, tho.
[17:28] <Shiral> I seem to be a magnet
[17:28] <KK> It was printing lines on top of one another, and dropping parts of lines--but ony after about 6-7 pages.
[17:29] <virtualbabe> *eep*
[17:29] <emily> When I was in college, Bill progammed his computer so I could just type in EMILY and it would bring up all of my stuff
[17:29] <Shiral> How maddening, KK
[17:29] <Kiri`> i agree with Helen.. playing in the universe is one thing.. using established main characters is another.
[17:29] <scribbler> sorry to hear, Kelos...
[17:30] <KK> You can have your imaginary characters interact in minor ways with major ones, and that usually isn't a problem--and it gives you a hook to hang your story on.
[17:30] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Like I said, I wrote the story to work on my writing...and with full knowledge that it would likely never be seen by anyone else.
[17:30] <emily> How frustrating
[17:30] <the_Bee> Most of my fanfic efforts have been set in ancient Caeriesse.  Anything is possible in legends.
[17:30] <emily> I have lots of ideas, just haven't gotten them down
[17:30] <scribbler> still, it's frustrating to lose a major work like that; especially if you want to look back and see how you've progressed....
[17:30] <KK> Good idea, Bee.  Did you write a poem about Lost Caeriesse?
[17:31] <Mike> My fanfic all happens in my head.  *grin*
[17:31] * virtualbabe would love to read more about Caeriesse
[17:31] <emily> I loved to day dream as a child, and make up elaborate stories
[17:31] <Maele> Emily, that's the seat of pants to seat of chair problem! :)
[17:31] <Shiral> My fanfic fills my whole stove!
[17:31] <the_Bee> Yes.  Julianne recently asked me if I'd composed the music yet.  Still working on that.
[17:31] <KK> Maele knows about writing, I see!
[17:31] <Shiral> I did too, Emily, Finally they demanded to get out!
[17:31] <Kelos_al-Hazar> It is, and was...but what really hurts to this day is the fact that I lost my 300+ page AD&D campaign...that took me over 4 years to complete the writing of. :(
[17:31] <emily> Which is hard to achieve these days, with Chris and Ben!
[17:31] <Sedina> I'm an avid day dreamer myself - very active imagination - but I just can't seem to get my ideas to translate well on paper
[17:31] <KK> Nice poem, Bee.  I read that one today, too.
[17:32] <emily> ACK kelos!
[17:32] <lbarms> I have that same problem Sedina
[17:32] <the_Bee> thanks KK :o)
[17:32] <lbarms> It somehow gets lost from the brain to the fingers
[17:32] <scribbler> I lost two years of tech writing work when my Zip disk died; I may go to a professional and see if they can get it to work...
[17:32] <Shiral> BRB
[17:32] <Kiri`> i have lots of ideas.. can't sit long enough to type them out..
[17:32] <Sedina> Exactly Laura.  I think that's why I go for other art forms instead.
[17:32] <KK> Need a seat belt, Kiri?  ;-)
[17:33] <lbarms> I use my camera
[17:33] <emily> I love to quilt Sedine
[17:33] <Kiri`> no  a new back
[17:33] <scribbler> Kiri -- maybe you should get a mini-tape recorder and talk them out, then transcribe them later; I used to do that with dreams...
[17:33] <lbarms> that way the camera captures the beauty and art for me
[17:33] <Kelos_al-Hazar> It was enjoyed by all for three years...but I wish I still had it. It'd be fun to start the game over again, with new players, and see if they don't make the same mistakes the others did.
[17:33] <emily> Sedina, and have been thinking of some Deryni projects to do
[17:33] <Kiri`> roberta.. i thought about that..
[17:33] <KK> Ouch!  I hear ya, Kiri.
[17:33] <Maele> Advice from a creative writing teacher:  Set your screen saver to one minute.  Start writing.  If your screen saver clicks in, deny yourself something you really like for an entire day.   If you get through an hour, double your treat!
[17:33] <Sedina> I like trying lots of artsy-fartsy things.  Right now I'm doing some glass work.  But I love to sing too
[17:34] <scribbler> I stopped doing it after I got married, as I didn't want to wake up Mark...
[17:34] <Kelos_al-Hazar> ROFL...I'd be an emaciated skeleton...I get massive writers' block at times...
[17:34] <emily> What happened to your back Kiri? Did you hurt it moving?
[17:34] <KK> That must've been in the days of typers.
[17:34] <Sedina> Laura - I love photography too, because I'm fairly good at capturing exactly what it is that I want to capture
[17:34] <Kiri`> maele -  i don't use outlines.. it just happens.. and the characters take over.
[17:34] <Shiral> I'm back
[17:34] <Shiral> I don't use outlines, because I'm too impatient to get to the story.
[17:34] <scribbler> wb -- duty calls, Shiral?
[17:34] <Kiri`> no. i hurt my back last year.  tore and hurrniated 2 disc totally murdered a third.
[17:34] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Kiri`, you and I are a lot alike...
[17:35] <the_Bee> Are you good Shiral or Evil Shiral?
[17:35] <Shiral> Yes, I keep telling it to hang up, but it's no use, Roberta
[17:35] <Shiral> Good today
[17:35] <lbarms> I just wish I could capture the feelings that I have when I am visiting the different castles and cathedrals, countryside, etc
[17:35] <Kiri`> or are you MArtha...
[17:35] <emily> Ow, Kiri, do you have to have surgery?
[17:35] <Maele> Shiral, do you write non-Deryni things as well?
[17:35] <Sedina> I can't do outlines...never have been able to.  I make them and then when I go to write, I completely end up throwing them out the window
[17:35] <Shiral> I have to be at work even when I FEEL evil
[17:35] <Kiri`> em - not yet.. we're trying to stave it off.
[17:35] <Shiral> I wrote a novel once and lost the first two hundred pages, Maele
[17:35] <scribbler> Sedina -- sounds like me....
[17:36] <Maele> Ow...
[17:36] <Kiri`> usually write her own stuff. only occasionally in the deryni universe..
[17:36] <Shiral> It was doddering about and not getting any closer to completion, and I fell out of love with it
[17:36] <Wrengl>  I don't do outlines either, Shiral
[17:36] <Kelos_al-Hazar> OOPS. GTG... (I converted a 100+ page story for use in a Trek sim...and have to untangle it now... :(
[17:36] <Maele> CU, Kelos
[17:36] <emily> Melissa, that's happened to me, with quilts, tho not stories
[17:36] <Rebecca> I've never done an outline in my life (well only after the fact in English in HS)
[17:37] <virtualbabe> I've tried writing.  for some reason I always look at what I've written and think " this sounds boring"
[17:37] * Kiri` checks shirals stove..
[17:37] <scribbler> I've been trying to stick to short stories lately -- if I try anything long, I either write myself in a corner or get bored....
[17:37] <Sedina> scribbler - my journalism teacher/h.s. advisor used to just shake his head at me.  He'd always like to see drafts and outlines for stories for the newspaper, but he knew I would never have one.  *lol*
[17:37] <Shiral> If I had the patience, I'd do outlines pat, but, I DON'T have the patience
[17:37] <KK> Some kind of outline is useful.  But you should feel free to deviate from it if a better way come to mind that will tell the story better.
[17:37] <scribbler> good luck and good writing, Kelos....
[17:37] <Sedina> Bye Kelos
[17:37] <pwilkinson> bye Kelos
[17:37] <Shiral> The Outline is kind of the road map, but feel free to take a side road, KK?
[17:37] <emily> Katherine, do you use outlines a lot?
[17:37] <KK> The outline for Lodge of the Lynx was well over 100 pages long.
[17:37] <virtualbabe> How much of an outline do you use katherine?
[17:37] <Kiri`> i think for anything other than a short work an outline would be needed.. especially plot wise.. or at least to keep track of all the characters.
[17:37] <Wrengl>  bye Kelos
[17:38] <Kiri`> is the outline like a summary of the story?
[17:38] <Kiri`> 100 pages seems like a lot.
[17:38] * Maele got into the scriptwriter's habit of cards for scenes and writing from those... It's fluid but helps get from the beginning to the end.  :)
[17:38] <Shiral> BRB
[17:38] <Kelos_al-Hazar> Thanks....But I've got to work out the kinks in that thing over time...and church calls...Heh. Not the story. :))
[17:38] <Harvey> Katherine, do you use more outline when working with Debbie?
[17:38] <scribbler> finally found Adept V in a bookstore -- trying to finish it quickly to pass it on to my mom-in-law....
[17:38] <Helenmary> Do your outlines tend to be longer when you are writing with someone else, Katherine?
[17:38] <Kiri`> maele we have to talk later.. 
[17:38] *** Kelos_al-Hazar is now known as Kelos[Away]
[17:38] <emily> Katherine, have you ever had a story where once you sat down to write it out, the characters took it to a completely different place than the outline?
[17:38] <KK> I also keep notebooks of characters, genealogies, place names--Rob had access to these as they were at the time he first approached me about doing the Codex.
[17:38] <Maele> Okey-dokey, Kiri
[17:38] <KK> Usually yes, Harvey--because we work apart.
[17:39] <the_Bee> Do you writers agree that you should know the ending before you start writing?
[17:39] <KK> At least in general, yes.
[17:39] <Maele> Know "a" ending, yes.  If something *better* presents itself, go with it?
[17:39] <KK> Sometimes, though, in the course of the writing, a better ending may suggest itself.
[17:40] <KK> Maele, are you Deryni?!
[17:40] <Maele> No... but I was born in Wales... :)
[17:40] <scribbler> KK -- how do you split up the work with DAH? I mean, does one of you write about the good guys, and the other write about the bad guys?
[17:40] <emily> And is the outline for CM written Katherine (EG)?
[17:40] <KK> Ah, then, that explains it.  :-)
[17:40] <Kiri`> Katherine - do you keep a notebook for each main character or group them main and minor?  *curious how that works*
[17:40] <scribbler> I'll have to catch up on what I missed later....
[17:40] <KK> Of course it's written.  Heh-heh-heh.
[17:40] <Kiri`> Maele is a writer herself.. non-fiction
[17:40] <Shiral> And you're following it closely, I'll bet right? <EG>
[17:41] <KK> The most useful character trackers for me are the genealogical charts.
[17:41] <Maele> Kiri, and something that's in-between!  :)
[17:41] <scribbler> I'm working on some non-fiction; researching disabled Internet access for a possible article for a group I belong to....
[17:41] <KK> But I also tend to have cards for major characters with specifics of physical factors, like hair and eye color, or who's on the CC right now, or who's where at a certain time.
[17:42] <Kiri`> maele - grin!
[17:42] <emily> It's a lot to keep straight, even if it is your story
[17:42] <Mike> KK, have you ever thought of incorporating astral projection into a story line?
[17:42] <Kiri`> msg sedina i'm the same off and online.. which surprises a lot of folks.. =)
[17:42] * Shiral would LOVE to look at those character binders.....<G>
[17:42] <Maele> Scribbler... IBM's public relations people have someone who can give you a lot of info on that!  Claire Bonner.
[17:42] <virtualbabe> Astral has been used in the Adept series
[17:42] * Sedina giggles at Kiri
[17:42] <KK> With DTH, I do the concept and a detailed outline, Debby "proses" the first draft.  Then I take it and polish and expand.
[17:42] <the_Bee> Yes, it's useful to know who's alive, who's dead, and who's not born when the story takes place.
[17:42] <Shiral> BRB AGAIN!!
[17:43] <emily> Oh, Melissa, your
[17:43] <Wrengl>  public calls!
[17:43] <emily> you're too popular Melissa
[17:43] <Mike> I'd like to see astral projection in the deryni universe too.
[17:43] <Harvey> Bye all.
[17:43] <Jessie> bye Harvey
[17:43] <Sedina> Bye Harvey
[17:43] <Wrengl>  bye harvey
[17:43] <Kiri`> later harvey
[17:43] <the_Bee> bye Harvey
[17:43] <emily> bye harvey, thanks for stopping bye
[17:43] <emily> by
[17:43] <KK> Bye, Harvey.
[17:43] *** Harvey has left #Deryni_Destinations
[17:43] <virtualbabe> bye-eee harvey
[17:43] <scribbler> Could some of Camber's visions when people died (Cinhil, Jeb), qualify as astral projections?
[17:44] <KK> Sort of.
[17:44] <scribbler> not the same I know, but close....
[17:44] <virtualbabe> that's what I was thinking too
[17:44] <KK> And there's astral projection in the Templar books.
[17:44] <emily> I need to go too, talk to you all next week, take care everybody, good luck with the tilers Katherine, :-)
[17:44] <scribbler> that's true....
[17:44] <scribbler> take care, emily....
[17:44] <KK> Bye, Emily.
[17:44] <Kiri`> KK - i think i missed your summary of this weeks work...
[17:44] <Sedina> Bye Emilty
[17:44] <Rebecca> night Emily
[17:44] <Wrengl>  bye emily
[17:44] <Jessie> bye emily
[17:44] <Kiri`> later emily
[17:44] <Sedina> Ack...emily rather
[17:44] <virtualbabe> bye emily
[17:44] <Maele> Bye Emily!
[17:44] * Sedina smacks fingers for not working right
[17:45] <pwilkinson> bye Emily
[17:45] <the_Bee> 'night emily
[17:45] <scribbler> Sedina -- don't blame your fingers, blame the keyboard.... 8-)
[17:45] <Wrengl>  LOL
[17:45] <emily> Now now, that's okay Sedina, I once had someone write Sudbrink, Sobbraik, or Sudbunk
[17:45] <Maele> Sedina, pretend you've got a pet hamster... ;)
[17:45] * Sedina giggles
[17:45] <Shiral> Back
[17:45] <KK> Kiri, mainly polishing and tightening the first chapters before I move on.  I'm getting impatient.  Expect major progress this weeok.
[17:45] <lbarms> its that block between brain and fingers again
[17:46] <virtualbabe> YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
[17:46] <Sedina> Who needs to have a pet hamster.  Miss Myah LOVES to "help" me type.  *lol*
[17:46] *** emily has left #Deryni_Destinations
[17:46] <Maele> There ya go then!
[17:46] <Rebecca> What is the chapter count so far?
[17:46] <scribbler> KK, any good solutions for dealing with writer's block? I've been cranky lately because my writing is going nowhere....
[17:46] <KK> Uh, 8 + the prologue?
[17:46] <Sedina> Only problem with blaming Miss Myah is that she's currently passed out on my bed.  Taking one of her famous kitty siestas
[17:46] <lbarms> how many pages is the outline for CM
[17:47] <Shiral> WHOOPEEE On the progresss, KK!
[17:47] * Sedina rubs hands together in anticipation
[17:47] <Mike> GREAT progress, KK! (virtual pat on the back)
[17:47] <Kiri`> KK - that's great news =)
[17:47] <scribbler> great job, KK!
[17:47] <Sedina> That's great!
[17:47] * Maele smiles happily anticipating another good read.
[17:47] <virtualbabe> Does that include the biblical quotes, or do they get put in later?
[17:48] * scribbler sends KK a virtual high-five....
[17:48] * Shiral does a happy jig
[17:48] <KK> Oh, maybe 10 pages or so?  (I didn't number the pages.)  But it's part of the proposal for the entire trilogy, so it wasn't in as much detail as I usually do.
[17:48] <KK> Biblical quotes get put in later, often after I've actually delivered the manuscript.
[17:48] * the_Bee offers KK a flagon of fine Gwynedd ale
[17:48] <lbarms> so the characters have a lot of room to "lead" you eh?
[17:49] <Shiral> Do your characters ever get into arguments about where the story should go next, KK? <G>
[17:49] <scribbler> how do you find your quotes? Do you have a concordance and look up key words, or what?
[17:49] <KK> There's also 10-20 pages of info on new or younger characters, and about 30 pages or so of detailed timeline.
[17:49] <Sedina> LOL Shiral
[17:49] <Shiral> I know that you've said you felt Camber looming over your shoulder now and then.
[17:49] <pwilkinson> Do you ever have difficulty coming up with an appropriate quote?
[17:49] <Shiral> I just have this silly vision of characters standing in your study and saying, "BUt that would give ME less to do!"
[17:50] <KK> I have a folder full of quotes, some of which will usually fit--but I always end up going through the actual Bible and looking for specific quotes for particular chapters.
[17:50] * lbarms grins at the thought of Morgan and Duncan fighting over what should happen next
[17:50] <scribbler> I know that DR didn't have as many Biblical quotes, but the rest of the books do....
[17:50] <Mike> Wouldn't Camber be neat as OUR grandpa?  *grin*
[17:50] <KK> No, the characters never argue with me.  I'm god, after all.
[17:50] * Sedina wonders if maybe that's why KK has such a big house. It's to accommodate all her "guests" like Camber, Morgan, Kelson...
[17:50] <scribbler> or Goddess....
[17:50] <Shiral> Well, that does give one a lot of authority, yes. <G>
[17:51] <Kiri`> would like to learn that rick.. mine argue with me..
[17:51] <scribbler> if they act up, just threaten to write them out....
[17:51] <Sedina> LOL  KK
[17:51] <KK> Yeah, well remember that I wrote DR more than 30 years ago, and was just starting to invent the genre back then.  :-)
[17:51] <scribbler> or kill them off....
[17:51] <virtualbabe> and if they give you any trouble they get zapped like Derry again
[17:51] <Kiri`> well more don't do what I'd like.
[17:51] <lbarms> Unfortunately even gods cant stop their underlings from getting into little tiffs
[17:51] <Shiral> "If you don't behave, it's curtains for you in chapter 23!"
[17:51] <scribbler> LOL Shiral....
[17:51] <Sedina> LOL Shiral
[17:51] * lbarms giggles
[17:52] <Shiral> BRB
[17:52] <scribbler> Again?
[17:52] * Maele figures Shiral doesn't believe in the velvet glove, huh?  :)
[17:52] <Sedina> Sure, she makes us crack up and then she dashes off on us. *giggles*
[17:52] <Maele> Iron fist all the way!  :)
[17:52] <KK> Ah, but if they "don't behave," it's usually because you've asked them to do the incorrect thing.  If a scene isn't working, it's usually because you, as the writer, haven't thought the situation through correctly.
[17:52] <pwilkinson> And how many of the characters who get killed off just as we meet them in DR appear more fully in CM? Brion obviously - who else?
[17:52] <Shiral> Hey, I'm an authority figure if not a god!
[17:53] <scribbler> that's where I run into problems on my longer works....I've got to look at consequences better
[17:53] <Shiral> But most of my characters are pretty cooperative...most of the time.
[17:53] <KK> Well, Brion's not even quite a toddler right now.  :-)
[17:53] <Kiri`> well it's not so much behave.. it's that i think the story's gonna go this way.. and they go off that.. and well it works better that way so I don't argue..
[17:53] <KK> Richard Haldane is a young man.
[17:53] * scribbler should have looked at consequences better before dating some of her ex-boyfriends, too....
[17:53] <Shiral> Aww, cute little Brion staggering around in his nursery...
[17:53] <lbarms> lol
[17:53] <virtualbabe> I remember you saying something like that in the intro the "the Knighting of derry"
[17:53] * Sedina giggles at scribbler
[17:53] <Kiri`> staggering?   who fed him mead...
[17:54] <Sedina> LOL
[17:54] <KK> Which, Babe?
[17:54] <Shiral> He just hasn't learned to WALK yet, Kiri! Honestly, I'm not completely degenerate!
[17:54] <scribbler> Sedina -- you should've seen some of them....
[17:54] <Sedina> Well, not a complete one Shiral.  *g*
[17:54] <lbarms> well all, It is getting late.  Nice chatting with you all
[17:54] <Jessie> night Laura
[17:54] <Kiri`> sure your just spiking the honey.. ;
[17:54] <virtualbabe>  about characcters not working right.. you were looking at the story from the wrong perspective
[17:54] <scribbler> Shiral -- Library Goddess....
[17:54] <Wrengl>  Good night Laura.
[17:54] <Rebecca> night laura
[17:54] <Sedina> Bye Laura...thanks for the pics.  *g*
[17:54] <Shiral> Okay, TOo many patrons, I've gotta go, BY KK and all!
[17:54] <scribbler> night Laura...
[17:54] <Wrengl>  Have a good week if we do not run into each other
[17:54] <the_Bee> You said KD didn't work till you switched from Morgan's POV to Derry's POV.
[17:55] <pwilkinson> Bye Laura
[17:55] <KK> Bye, Laura and Melissa.
[17:55] <scribbler> take care, Shiral....
[17:55] <Maele> <--- waves to Laura
[17:55] * Shiral snaps her fingers and disappears!
[17:55] <Shiral> BYE
[17:55] <virtualbabe> Nighters Shiral
[17:55] <Sedina> Bye Shiral
[17:55] *** Shiral has left #Deryni_Destinations
[17:55] <Kiri`> by laura
[17:55] <lbarms> I will be in Morocco all week so I will probably not be on until next weekend
[17:55] <KK> Ah yes, Bee.
[17:55] <scribbler> Bee -- sometimes POV needs to change...
[17:55] <Kiri`> have fun.. buy carpet!
[17:55] <scribbler> Ah, Morocco -- watch out for Bogie in Casablanca...
[17:55] <Sedina> Buy carpet?  *giggles*
[17:55] <KK> Yes, you have to decide whose story it is--or at least whose take on the story it is.
[17:56] <Kiri`> actually thay have some interesting things in the bazaar
[17:56] <KK> Morocco.  Hot, this time of year.
[17:56] * lbarms steps onto her portal and disappears thinking of which bazaar will have the best carpets
[17:56] <virtualbabe> Hot, most of the time.
[17:56] <scribbler> I got the chance to read "Swords Against the Marluk" on July 4th -- it was interesting comparing that POV to Charissa's in "Legacy"....
[17:56] *** lbarms Quit (QUIT: User exited)
[17:57] <virtualbabe> And we will be seeing it again from another POV in CM
[17:57] <the_Bee> Where is "Swords against the Marluk available?
[17:57] <Helenmary> Whose POV will it be in CM?
[17:57] * scribbler mourns the fact that the most exotic place she's ever been is Toronto....
[17:57] <KK> Yes, of course I wrote Swords first--and will cover that ground again, in the appropriate Childe book.
[17:57] *** duck has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[17:57] * Sedina pouts because she hasn't been able to get hold of a copy of either "Swords" or "Legacy"
[17:57] <Kiri`> hi donald =)
[17:57] <virtualbabe> Flashing Swords#4 anthology.
[17:58] <Sedina> scribbler - I live in ND.  How exotic is that?  *lol*
[17:58] <Maele> <--- waves to duck
[17:58] <duck> morning all
[17:58] <KK> Swords was in an OP anthology called Flashing Swords #4.
[17:58] <Sedina> Hi Donald!
[17:58] <Kiri`> i see shiral successfully set of his quck and bang alarm.. =)
[17:58] <Jessie> hello duck ;-)
[17:58] <virtualbabe> Quack  donald
[17:58] * Sedina digs out the oxygen and passes some to Kiri, just in case
[17:58] <Helenmary> Greetings, Donald
[17:58] <KK> Hi, Donald.
[17:58] <scribbler> Hi Donald!
[17:58] <the_Bee> Quackers, Donald!
[17:58] * Kiri` grins at sedina..
[17:58] <duck> g'day katherine how are things?
[17:58] <pwilkinson> Hi Donald
[17:58] <Jessie> right at 6 hours duck -- good alarm clock
[17:58] <virtualbabe> Legacy was in Deryni Archives, the book
[17:58] <KK> Pretty good, Duck.
[17:58] * Kiri` is off shopping for ankle and foot jewelry
[17:59] <KK> Legacy was also first in a Darkover program book, as I recall.
[17:59] <scribbler> Sedina -- "Legacy" is in KK's book called "Deryni Archives"; you might be able to find it in a used bookstore somewhere...
[17:59] <Maele> Deryni Archives is out of print?
[17:59] <KK> No, Flashing Swords #4 is OP.
[17:59] <virtualbabe> Most of the Deryni is out of priont right now <sob>
[18:00] <Sedina> scribbler - I know that's where I can find Legacy.  I just need to get a copy of it for myself.  Unfortunately KK's books are painfully difficult to find in my next of the woods
[18:00] <Wrengl>  Hi Donald!
[18:00] <scribbler> KK -- I liked your story in the 2nd Templar collection;
a little weird, but I liked it....
[18:00] <Maele> Are they available online?  Amazon, etc?
[18:00] <KK> And Swords Against the Marluk was NOT in Deryni Archives because I knew I was going to retell that tale in Childe Morgan.
[18:00] <virtualbabe> We're hoping Ace will re-release them
[18:00] <duck> well jesssie i was awake at 4 am but i won't get out of bed when it is freezing cold and pissing down with rain, for anyone! (sorry katherine)
[18:01] <Jessie> you need more sleep than that Duck
[18:01] <the_Bee> oh right, it's winter where you are.
[18:01] <virtualbabe> serves you right for living somewhere where it is winter right now donald
[18:01] <Helenmary> Donald, you make me appreciate my 83 degrees!
[18:01] <KK> Well, Scribbler, spontaneous combustion seemed like an interesting thing to explore.
[18:01] <KK> My story for the 3rd anthology is not an Adam Sinclair story.
[18:01] <Kiri`> what is your story Katherine?
[18:01] * Maele makes note to self to write glowing fan-letter to folks at Ace asking for more copies of Deryni Archives.
[18:01] <scribbler> I REALLY liked Rob's piece, too....
[18:02] <KK> Deals with Hugues de Payens and the other founders of the Templars, and digging under the Temple of Jerusalem, and what they found.
[18:02] <Jessie> sounds interesting
[18:02] <scribbler> As Ellis said about Wells in Lammas Night, "Maybe he'll get it right the next go-around"....
[18:03] <scribbler> that does sound interesting, KK....
[18:03] <KK> It should be fun.  I've already received the first 2 stories for that one, from Richard Woods again and a super one from Patricia Kennealy Morrison set in her Keltiad universe.
[18:03] <Maele> <--- was reading a collection of hymns attributed to Templar writers a few months back.  Wonderful words, but no indication of the music that should accompany them.  :(
[18:03] <scribbler> Is Rob going to write one, or is he too busy with Codex II and Atlas?
[18:03] <Wrengl>  Oh neat.  Haven't seen anything new from patricia Kennealy in AGES!
[18:03] <KK> Rob is writing one.
[18:03] <virtualbabe> OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!  the keltiad is another favorite of mine
[18:04] <scribbler> Maele -- possibly some sort of plain chant, I would assume...
[18:04] <Kiri`> Katherine sounds interesting =)
[18:04] <KK> So are Macdonald & Doyle.  So is Susan Shwartz.  And DTH and her husband.  And Lohr Miller, who did those two novellas for the early DA 'zines.
[18:04] <Maele> Scribbler, there were references to music, but no copies of the music... :(
[18:04] <KK> Would love to see those, Maele.
[18:05] <scribbler> maybe KK could work those into future Templar stories?
[18:05] <Maele> Hmmm, they're in the collection of a friend of mine.  I'll ask to copy and forward them if you like?
[18:05] <KK> Yes, please.
[18:05] <KK> And they might well fit into a future story.
[18:05] <Maele> Will do.  I'll likely see him sometime next week, so shortly thereafter.
[18:06] <scribbler> Arnaud and Torquil will need something to sing on the way to Ethiopia?
[18:06] <Maele> And I guess copyright won't be an issue.  :)
[18:06] <KK> Maybe.
[18:06] * Sedina passes along kitty greetings and kitty kisses from Miss Myah
[18:06] <Kiri`> msg sedina if i break my wallet one more time in that jewelry shop (and it isn't hard!) i'll have to lock myself up..
[18:06] <scribbler> Meow, Miss Myah....
[18:06] * virtualbabe sends Miss Myna virtual purrs
[18:06] <duck> so kiri is off to buy ankle jewellery eh? a pair of diamond
encrusted handcuffs by the sounds of it :)
[18:06] <scribbler> was Jasta in earlier, or is she off playing today?
[18:07] <Kiri`> hi miss myah
[18:07] <Kiri`> no i don't like diamonds
[18:07] <Kiri`> bronze today.
[18:07] *** Sedina is now known as Miss_Myah
[18:07] <KK> Jasta hasn't been here that I know of.  But I feel like I've spent part of the afternoon with her, 'cause I was editing her garden glove story.
[18:07] <duck> neopagan influence
[18:07] <virtualbabe> Unfortunatly all, I'm afraid I've got to get going too.
[18:07] * Miss_Myah purrs and rubs up against the screen
[18:07] *** Miss_Myah is now known as Sedina
[18:07] <the_Bee> Hiay Miss Myah!
[18:07] <scribbler> Garden glove? Sounds intriguing....
[18:08] <Maele> Oh, bye, VB!
[18:08] * duck cleaned up the back of his new place yesterday and found a pair of garden gloves pinned to the hills hoist
[18:08] <scribbler> bye, VB....
[18:08] <pwilkinson> bye all
[18:08] <Wrengl>  cya VB
[18:08] <KK> It <is> Pumpkin Time, I'm afraid--at least here in Ireland.
[18:08] <Sedina> Ah, being the fickle kitty that she is, she's lost interest and is now going to go sit in her window. *lol*
[18:08] <virtualbabe> See you all, probably next week
[18:08] <Helenmary> I must be off as well.  Bye, eveyone!
[18:08] *** pwilkinson  Quit (QUIT: User exited)
[18:08] <scribbler> bye, Helen
[18:08] <Maele> Bye Helen
[18:08] <scribbler> pwilk left without saying goodbye?
[18:08] *** Helenmary Quit (QUIT: User exited)
[18:08] <KK> Me, too.  I hope to have good progress to report next week.
[18:08] <duck> no he said bye all
[18:08] <Kiri`> pumkins already?
[18:09] <Wrengl>  Good night katherine.  Have fun writing.  I'm doing a hoka art piece this week!
[18:09] <Maele> Bye, KK!
[18:09] <scribbler> Good luck and good writing, KK...
[18:09] <Kiri`> later KK
[18:09] <duck> cheers to all those running away
[18:09] <the_Bee> niters KK
[18:09] <KK> Hokas are cool!
[18:09] <Rebecca> night Katherine
[18:09] <Sedina> Good night Katherine!  Good luck with the writing and the bathrooms
[18:09] * virtualbabe steps on her portal and dissapears in a pink flash
[18:09] <Wrengl>  Yes.  This one is Jeb Stuart!
[18:09] *** virtualbabe Quit (QUIT: User exited)
[18:09] * KK steps into her Portal and waves goodbye.
[18:09] <scribbler> I'm due for a nap, so I'd better go too -- see you all soon....
[18:09] *** KK Quit (QUIT: User exited)