• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124
Sogou
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Question on Rhidian and Kelson

Started by Bynw, January 20, 2017, 08:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

1. Celia Grey asks: "Hypothetically, if Rhidian DID have sexual relations with Kelson during the cruaidh-dheuchainn: A, would you regard it as rape, since Kelson was drugged at the time? And B, how do you think Kelson himself might regard it?"

Katherine says: "Hmmm, you guys don't ask easy ones! I'm probably going to get myself into trouble on this one, because I doubt that my answer is going to be considered P.C. Retreating to my police background for just a moment, rape involves (in broad terms) unlawful sexual congress without the consent of the victim, usually by force (or threat of force) or by deception; No force is involved in this case, but Kelson's drugged state would have suspended his ability to give or deny consent; If it was really Rhidian and not a sexual fantasy, and in that deception would have been involved, the episode would, indeed, constitute rape–perhaps adding on what we might call "misappropriation of Crown assets," especially if her motive had to do with hoping to conceive a child by the king, later to be used against him, or for her own purposes. We know that the possibility of such a child had been a deterrent from sexual activity in the past, for Kelson has told Dhugal as much, when confessing his virginity, earlier in the book. But he believes his experience in the shrine to be a drug-induced hallucination about the woman he loves and intends to marry as soon as possible, with the specific intention of getting her with child as quickly as he can–and with the blessing of everyone in his kingdom. Coming in the aftermath of his vision of St. Camber, and given the tension attendant on his recent ordeal, both in the underground caverns and at the hands of the Servants, his very vivid wet-dream is a welcome respite, a deliciously personalized fantasy encapsulating all his fondest desires for the future. Under those circumstances, I expect that most healthy, red-blooded males would have reacted much as Kelson did, embracing the moment with unabashed abandon. Rape would have been the last thing that occurred to him.(And of course, when he later learns that the dream coincided with Rothana's wedding night, that pretty much confirms in his mind that he was picking up "vibes" from her sexual initiation. Of course, he could be wrong, she added, with an innocent smile....)"
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com