• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 210
Total: 210
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Two Kingdoms 1: An Introduction

Started by Evie, January 18, 2017, 01:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: revanne on February 09, 2017, 01:42:18 AM
As a Brit and a monarchist  I am deeply ashamed that I did not notice this. I am now wondering if Kelson has become "The King over the water" perhaps taking refuge in his mother's homeland of Bremagne.

Perhaps in secret; which is why the Bremagni Ambassador makes no mention of "Your Majesty's grandson. . . "

Elkhound

It just occured to me a scenario about how Kelson managed to survive.  In canon, even though totally untrained, Jehanna was able to give Charissa serious pause before she was overcome.  What if maternal desperation got her access to some even greater level of power?  She might have been able to hold her off even longer, perhaps even being able to hit back a little.  That would have probably riled Charissa's pride--that a totally untrained Deryni could actually HURT her--the point where she wouldn't just have put Jehanna into a trance, but have INCINERATED her.  However, in the confusion, Morgan & Duncan would have been able to get the stunned Kelson out of there; by the time he got over the shock of seeing his mother killed before his eyes, he'd be halfway to Bremagne, who would take up for the cause of their martyred princess by giving him shelter.

Shiral

Quote from: Elkhound on February 15, 2017, 08:13:54 PM
It just occured to me a scenario about how Kelson managed to survive.  In canon, even though totally untrained, Jehanna was able to give Charissa serious pause before she was overcome.  What if maternal desperation got her access to some even greater level of power?  She might have been able to hold her off even longer, perhaps even being able to hit back a little.  That would have probably riled Charissa's pride--that a totally untrained Deryni could actually HURT her--the point where she wouldn't just have put Jehanna into a trance, but have INCINERATED her.  However, in the confusion, Morgan & Duncan would have been able to get the stunned Kelson out of there; by the time he got over the shock of seeing his mother killed before his eyes, he'd be halfway to Bremagne, who would take up for the cause of their martyred princess by giving him shelter.

Which is likely, since Kelson is Jehana's son, and therefore blood kin to the Bremagni Royal family.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

Elkhound, your scenario has plausibility. I like it.

I had been thinking that Morgan would not have taken Kelson out of the Cathedral, because he knew in his heart that Kelson would have to be the one to defeat Charissa, and he trusted that Kelson would find the answer to his power. But if your setup occurred, with Jehanna being "INCINERATED" (Holy Crap indeed) then Kelson would have been too shaken to think clearly and Morgan was too injured to stand in his stead. I can see where in that situation Morgan would have demanded Duncan steal Kelson out of the cathedral and back to the Sacristy.  They would have jumped to Duncan's portal in his study. And from there, when Charissa starts to burn the city down in her rage, they would have escaped by the river, most likely. Remember Morgan and Duncan do not know any other portal jumps at that time. I do not know if Alaric would have had time to heal himself in that disastrous scenario. Perhaps when they got to Duncan's study.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

For the record, there are other parts to the story still in draft--- beginning with later historians reflecting on a painting of the coronation duel just as it devolves into ambush and chaos. I see it as a very neo-classical, severe painting:  Ian Howell's body sprawled on the floor, an arrow in its back, and that frozen moment when the Duchess of Tolan and Morgan both realise what's about to happen.

DoctorM

Quote from: Elkhound on February 15, 2017, 08:13:54 PMIt just occured to me a scenario about how Kelson managed to survive.  In canon, even though totally untrained, Jehanna was able to give Charissa serious pause before she was overcome.  What if maternal desperation got her access to some even greater level of power?  She might have been able to hold her off even longer, perhaps even being able to hit back a little.  That would have probably riled Charissa's pride--that a totally untrained Deryni could actually HURT her--the point where she wouldn't just have put Jehanna into a trance, but have INCINERATED her.  However, in the confusion, Morgan & Duncan would have been able to get the stunned Kelson out of there; by the time he got over the shock of seeing his mother killed before his eyes, he'd be halfway to Bremagne, who would take up for the cause of their martyred princess by giving him shelter.

I hope you went to "Arrows and Glass" to find out what happened to Kelson...