• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 319
Total: 320
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wish that there were more uploads to FanFiction.Net

Started by Marko, July 06, 2012, 04:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

I'm not familiar with FanFic.net, but I do hope we can encourage more people to write fan fiction here! I do enjoy seeing new stories here, and I love seeing how others envision KK's world.

DoctorM

I do want to encourage more writing and uploading of fanfic. There are some very good writers at this site, and I love reading along with them!

Evie

Most, if not all, of my fanfic has been crossposted over on Fanfiction.net, but they were posted here first. That said, having them crossposted there has resulted in a few new members heading this way, because even though FFN won't let you link to other websites, I mention the Rhemuth Castle Forum in my author's profile page, and have also mentioned it in direct messages when readers have sent me story feedback in the past.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DoctorM

Quote from: Evie on June 27, 2023, 10:59:10 AMMost, if not all, of my fanfic has been crossposted over on Fanfiction.net, but they were posted here first. That said, having them crossposted there has resulted in a few new members heading this way, because even though FFN won't let you link to other websites, I mention the Rhemuth Castle Forum in my author's profile page, and have also mentioned it in direct messages when readers have sent me story feedback in the past.

I'll have to visit there more frequently.

Evie

One thing I like about Fanfiction.net is that on my longer stories, a full chapter list can be accessed via a pull-down menu once you've opened the story, so unlike on the forum, it's easier to pick up where you've left off if you can remember what the last chapter you read was. With my stories here, each chapter is a separate post, and if anyone leaves a comment on a chapter, that will put it at the top of the entire board for that story, separating it from the other chapters in the series and making it harder to find for the next reader. That's why I always tried to remember to put a link at the beginning and end of each chapter, so it's easier to find the next chapter or go back to the previous one, but FFN's format eliminates the need to link between posts, even if you are posting each chapter there one at a time rather than all at the same time. (I tended to wait a few days to a week between chapter uploads there, same as here.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Kareina

Quote from: Evie on July 11, 2012, 12:58:24 PMI hope, if there are any readers here who are/were hesitant to tackle any of my longer stories because of the inherent difficulties in picking up where you left off in the middle of a novella or novel sized work posted to a forum board format, that you'll find the Fanfiction.net format a lot easier to follow along in.  I still intend to use this as my primary site-of-preference for future story uploads, given that I've pretty much got a guaranteed reading audience for Deryni stories on a Deryni fan forum, but if I see interest in having them archived at Fanfiction.net as well, I'll consider that my secondary backup archive.

Does this forum have the ability to upload files?  For longer stories it might make sense to make an epub version and post it to be downloaded? Using an ereader on one's own phone or tablet, even when offline, is an even easier way for a reader to keep track of where in a story they are.

However, that would require that have to have a program to generate epub. I do my writing (for my academic research; I haven't done anything resembling fanfic since that one time in high school) in Scrivener, which makes export to epub easy. I guess that these days there are many more options available for that.
--Kareina

Bynw

Quote from: Kareina on July 18, 2023, 03:21:19 AMDoes this forum have the ability to upload files?  For longer stories it might make sense to make an epub version and post it to be downloaded? Using an ereader on one's own phone or tablet, even when offline, is an even easier way for a reader to keep track of where in a story they are.

However, that would require that have to have a program to generate epub. I do my writing (for my academic research; I haven't done anything resembling fanfic since that one time in high school) in Scrivener, which makes export to epub easy. I guess that these days there are many more options available for that.

Yes you can attach files to your posts.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

When I edited our collaborative story/game Ghosts of the Past to make for easier reading, I turned each section into PDF files and then attached the PDF files to a topic in the Collaborative Fanfiction section. My Computer could not turn an entire book into one PDF file so I broke down each of the four books into six parts. I was told by friends that at least this way they were less likely to loose their place while reading the PDF file on their devices. I am not sure how successful this was, as I got very little feedback but at least a dozen to two dozen people have downloaded the entire Ghosts of the Past series.

I had considered putting the story on Fanfiction.net  but most of the writers have stated they would like to leave that story for this forum only. So here is where our beloved characters will stay. But they certainly would not mind jumping off the page/monitor from time to time and visiting your homes.
May your horses have wings and fly!