• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Kyber crystal

Started by tenworld, January 02, 2017, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenworld

did anyone else think Shiral crystal when Jyn put on the kyber crystal necklace in Rogue One?

I always thought Lucas was inspired in part by Deryni when he created Jedi, although I don't think he is involved now.

revanne

I didn't but now it has been mentioned, yes. Although I expected her to use it in some way.
The influence of the Deryni on the Jedi makes a lot of sense.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

I saw Rogue One last night, loved it!

In the science fiction universe, crystals have often been used as sources or conduits of power. Jen does use the crystal in a Deryni/Jedi way, which did make me think of Shiral Crystals, especially since I read that suggestion here before I saw the movie.  However, the Kyber crystals appear to have more power than Shiral crystals. They were also said to power light sabers, and many of them combined together to power the killing beam of the Death Star.  In Star Trek similar Dilithium crystals powered the Enterprise. If you read Anne McCaffrey's Singing Crystal series, they mined crystals to power their dimensional flight. ( I loved that series)  Oh and let us not forget the Crystal Cave of Merlin's by Mary Stewart.

In the real world, I use crystals every day in the transducers of my Ultrasound machine. They line up about 160 sliver crystals that when taped with an electrical pulse, sends out pulses of sound. Then the crystals go silent to wait for the echo of the sound they sent out to return. The crystals turn that echo into electrical pulses that make up the Ultrasound image. Don't forget the diamond on the tip of your record player needle that those of us old enough used to listen to.

The world has a fascination with crystals, and rightly they should. I love to collect geodes with crystals inside.
May your horses have wings and fly!

whitelaughter

Our fascination with shiny things is supposed to be because it reminds us of splashing water: which is safer due to the high oxygen levels. Since water is essential to life as we know it, that means even alien races should also like shiny things!

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on January 03, 2017, 11:15:50 AM
I saw Rogue One last night, loved it!

In the science fiction universe, crystals have often been used as sources or conduits of power. Jen does use the crystal in a Deryni/Jedi way, which did make me think of Shiral Crystals, especially since I read that suggestion here before I saw the movie.  However, the Kyber crystals appear to have more power than Shiral crystals. They were also said to power light sabers, and many of them combined together to power the killing beam of the Death Star.  In Star Trek similar Dilithium crystals powered the Enterprise. If you read Anne McCaffrey's Singing Crystal series, they mined crystals to power their dimensional flight. ( I loved that series)  Oh and let us not forget the Crystal Cave of Merlin's by Mary Stewart.

In the real world, I use crystals every day in the transducers of my Ultrasound machine. They line up about 160 sliver crystals that when taped with an electrical pulse, sends out pulses of sound. Then the crystals go silent to wait for the echo of the sound they sent out to return. The crystals turn that echo into electrical pulses that make up the Ultrasound image. Don't forget the diamond on the tip of your record player needle that those of us old enough used to listen to.

The world has a fascination with crystals, and rightly they should. I love to collect geodes with crystals inside.

Then there are the Matrix Gems in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books.