• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Cosmati Pavement and comparision to the pavement of St. George

Started by Laurna, December 01, 2016, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/conservation/interactive-map

After joining a British Medieval History group on Facebook, I saw today the above website about the Cosmati Pavement. I love the artistry and the history of it.  I can now better envision the seals of the saints on the floor in St George's Cathedral in Rhemuth. Although I had always thought of the Rhemuth pavement as being a large round with multiple round circular seals along the outer edge.

What do other people see when they read the  final chapters of Deryni Rising?
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on December 01, 2016, 01:22:22 PM

After joining a British Medieval History group on Facebook, I saw today the above website about the Cosmati Pavement. I love the artistry and the history of it.  I can now better envision the seals of the saints on the floor in St George's Cathedral in Rhemuth. Although I had always thought of the Rhemuth pavement as being a large round with multiple round circular seals along the outer edge.

What do other people see when they read the  final chapters of Deryni Rising?

I also see it as "a large round [or at least a circular area] with multiple round circular seals along the outer edge," but I also think it could have been done in a mosaic style very similar in design to this Cosmati pavement.  Think of a Cosmati pavement laid out for a circular area rather than for a square one.  I think the seals would be saint's icons paved in tiny mosaic tiles set into roundels, and the surrounding matrix could be filled in by tiles set in geometric motifs, just like the pavement shown.

Somewhere in my craft room, I've got this picture printed up and laminated to use as a paved Transfer Portal area in some future diorama.  If set in such a way that the roundels line up with the four compass points, it could also make a nice floor for a ritual chamber.  You'd never have to guess where your four cardinal directions were!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!