• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Deryni Magic & Abilities in a old TV Series

Started by Lochiel, November 27, 2016, 12:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochiel

I was watching an episode of "Strange Inheritance" and the gentleman who left his farm for 2 actors he never went  made me look up their works which attracted the farmer. One was the "Powers Of Mathew Star"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powers_of_Matthew_Star
Now I never saw the series and I'm sure YT has it but from the article some of these powers are "Deryni" like

The powers possessed by E'Hawke/Matthew were inherited from his parents, and only the royal family on Quadris has them. Other Quadrians may have powers of their own. The two that presided over Matthew's coronation in the cave (played by Julie Newmar and Jeff Corey) had power to cast powerful illusions in an effort to test Matthew when he went with Pam to find her uncle in the episode "Triangle". Quadrians may also have the ability to delay death, if the two Quadrians in the episode "Triangle" are any indication. It is very painful for them to do so, apparently.[3]

The powers as displayed by Matthew consist of telekinesis, telepathy and clairvoyance in the earlier episodes, and telekinesis, transmutation and astral projection in later episodes. The powers of Matthew's parents are unspecified; it is assumed they are similar in nature to Matthew's, albeit far more highly developed.

Much of the plotline deals with Matthew honing his powers, which are naturally weak and undisciplined given his young age. He must practice in secret, obviously, and he is continually resisting the temptation to use them against bullies and other frivolities. Matthew is forced to use his powers at times to save his and Walt's lives.
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore