• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117
Nezz
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Were there original USA hardcover releases of Chronicles and Legends?

Started by macsorcery, April 30, 2023, 06:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsorcery

Were there original USA hardcover releases of Chronicles of the Deryni and Legends of Camber? All I am finding are Book Club Editions. I just want to confirm they exist before I really start looking. Thanks for any info.
Holder of Codex #38 - I live in The Land, Gwynedd, and Aldur's Vale.

DoctorM

Quote from: macsorcery on April 30, 2023, 06:48:43 PMWere there original USA hardcover releases of Chronicles of the Deryni and Legends of Camber? All I am finding are Book Club Editions. I just want to confirm they exist before I really start looking. Thanks for any info.

I think the initial trilogy all appeared first in paperback.

DerynifanK

The original trilogy was published in paperback but they were reissued in 2005 in hardback in an expanded and revised editions with, I think, a new forward by the author. Two of hem are currently available on Thriftbooks website
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Marilyn

There definitely were publisher's hardcover editions of the first two of the Legends series.  I have copies.  However, I've never been able to find a publisher's hardcover of "Heretic."  I don't know if it only came out in book club hardcovers or not.  I suspect, due to the difficulty in finding them, that these were extremely small print runs.  The ISBN for "Camber" is 0-345-28031-8 and the ISBN for "Saint Camber is 0-345-27750-3.  Both were published by Del Rey/Ballantine Books. The first HC edition of "Camber" was published in 1979 although the copyright date is 1976.  The first US HC of "Saint" was published in 1979.

As for Chronicles, I had, at one time, a hardcover series that may have been a first edition HC signed by Katherine.  They were smaller than the usual HC editions with poor quality paper that was turning very brown. Unfortunately, I sold them when I replaced them with Kindle editions. :( 

I hope this helps.
Maryse

macsorcery

Quote from: Marilyn on May 02, 2023, 02:07:37 AMThere definitely were publisher's hardcover editions of the first two of the Legends series.  I have copies.

Ok, like you I have found the first editions of Camber and Saint, but Heretic seems to be a ghost. I remember waiting a long time for Heretic to be released but I was a kid so I didn't even look for the hardcover back then. I have never seen one except for the book club editions. I think the wonky dates of the first two Legends hardcovers is because they were released after the paperbacks. The whole way Ballantine treated the KK books is weird. Missing books, non standard heights, paperbacks before hardcovers.. Its a collectors nightmare. :)

I just want Grim Oak Press to give KK the same love they showed SRD, DE, and TB

macsorcery

Apparently the 1981 Book Club edition of CtH is the ONLY hardcover according to goodreads editions database.. strange.

Laurna

This is my collection, as you can see the first three series hardcovers(the shorter books) come from the Sifi Book club,  the taller hardcovers were bought directly from real book stores at the time of their first printing. I had found the paper backs during my first year in college 1980(dating myself here) and then subsequently bought everything I could find from KK after. I had always wondered why I could not find the first edition hardbacks of the early books. Now I understand, they just don't exist. I did find this hardback book recently and added it to my collection. be prepared to pay for it if you want to find a copy of it.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

Laurna-- I love that book collection! I recognize some editions that I still recall with deep fondness!

macsorcery

Quote from: Laurna on May 03, 2023, 06:18:23 PMI had always wondered why I could not find the first edition hardbacks of the early books. Now I understand, they just don't exist.

I have the 1st/1st Hardcover editions of Camber of Culdi and Saint Camber (not book club editions) that apparently were released after paperbacks. Camber the Heretic seems to be the oddball. Apparently Ballantine just bailed on the hardcover trilogy (low sales?) and Camber the Heretic was released in hardcover only at the SciFi book club. Strange. The Deryni Chronicles were re-released  by Ace/Penguin in a low quality effort in the mid 2000s. They couldn't even match the heights of the three books. Deryni checkmate is almost a 1/2 inch shorter than Deryni Rising. Amazing. I think KK has been mistreated by publishers her entire career..

and I see you have a Codex. Whats your number? I am #38

Laurna

Quote from: macsorcery on May 08, 2023, 11:17:50 AMand I see you have a Codex. Whats your number? I am #38

Three years ago, I happily acquired Codex  first edition #237, signed and in prefect condition. I only open  it to look for the differences between this edition and the soft cover - of which I now own two copies, because my first one is so torn up.
May your horses have wings and fly!

macsorcery

Quote from: Laurna on May 08, 2023, 05:17:31 PM
Quote from: macsorcery on May 08, 2023, 11:17:50 AMand I see you have a Codex. Whats your number? I am #38

Three years ago, I happily acquired Codex  first edition #237, signed and in prefect condition. I only open  it to look for the differences between this edition and the soft cover

I only open mine to see the signature and number every few years..  ;D