• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 153
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 147
Total: 147
Google (5)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Bible

Started by Fukiyama, June 08, 2016, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fukiyama

There are a lot of epigraphs throughout the books from the Bible.  Are they canon?  Do they imply that the entire Bible as we know it is canon?

Thank you!

DesertRose

I don't know, actually.  I would guess so, but that sounds like a good question to ask KK at chat, if you can join us on Sunday.  ;)

I'd hazard a guess that they might even use a Bible that includes the Apocrypha (which most Protestant churches do not use), but don't quote me on that.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Fukiyama

Quote from: DesertRose on June 08, 2016, 08:05:21 PM
I don't know, actually.  I would guess so, but that sounds like a good question to ask KK at chat, if you can join us on Sunday.  ;)

I'd hazard a guess that they might even use a Bible that includes the Apocrypha (which most Protestant churches do not use), but don't quote me on that.

I will do that.  I would assume the Bible of the Deryni books includes Deuterocanonical books since there has been no Reformation event.

Evie

Quote from: Fukiyama on June 08, 2016, 08:36:24 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on June 08, 2016, 08:05:21 PM

I will do that.  I would assume the Bible of the Deryni books includes Deuterocanonical books since there has been no Reformation event.

Yes, some of the quotes that KK chose as chapter headings come from the Deuterocanonical books, IIRC, and therefore IMO they would presumably be considered canonical within at least part of the Eleven Kingdoms, if not necessarily all, given that KK included them in her canonical work.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

I would guess that the eleven kingdoms would have the Bible as it was used in pre-reformation Europe i.e including what we would now think of the Apocrypha.

If Torenthi religion is to be equated with the eastern Orthodox churches then they would include some more books too.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Plus we know that Islam exists in the Deryniverse; presumably also Zoroastrianism.  I don't know where the equivalents of China and India in that world are that we would have Hinduism, Buddhism, and Daoism.