• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 138
Total: 138
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Stefan Coram

Started by Lochiel, May 22, 2016, 11:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochiel

Demercia,
I looked up your Flight Of The Heron book, my ancestors were "Jacobites" and my older sister told me years ago of reading some Joan Aiken books that were based on the 45 that she read as a kid because of my interest in that and other assorted history of Scotland/Ireland/Wales/Britain/Normandy etc
Thanks for your responses.
Slainte
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

revanne

Quote from: Lochiel on May 25, 2016, 07:06:29 AM

I wish I would have joined this group years ago.

Me too! I found this site sometime in 2013 and how I rue those missed years.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

We are all here now,  That is what counts.
(And...umm.. Revanne... umm... Part 2... Gryphons are Brave...? ;D  I'll say no more.)
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

;)The Gryphon is flying busily around inside my head - I just need the time to pin him down on paper.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Like Demercia I don't see Duncan confiding in Denis, even in the sanctity of the confessional, given that he has no idea that Denis is Deryni until the latter's revelation in HD, and to admit to being a Deryni priest,especially to a Bishop, is to court almost certain execution.

I go with the idea of Vera's parents telling the Arilans and also wonder if Jamyl might have taken the opportunity to confirm that Duncan  was Deryni sometime when they are both at court in Brion's reign. We know from the use of Deryni sniffers by Alroy's regents that a Deryni can tell the presence of another unless they are very well-shielded and a Deryni of Jamyl's calibre would surely have had likely difficulty in Duncan's case.

With regard to Stefan Coram, I've always thought that it was in fact St Camber who met with Duncan on the road to Coroth. If it was Stefan then he must have had powers beyond those that have previously been revealed of the Deryni, in order to know of Duncan's all but denial of his priestly vocation to Alaric. Also it seems more likely that Camber would challenge Duncan over that given his high regard for the priesthood revealed in SC ( even if he does have to be fairly heavily nudged by Joram). It was clearly Stefan at St Neot's but I'm inclined again to believe it was Camber at Kelson's coronation - given the way he showed up when Joram mystically crowned Javan in KJY.

Such fun speculating - thank you Lochiel.

Btw, like Demercia and a couple of others I lurk across the pond so very rarely make regular chat, but really appreciate the early chat once a month.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

I also meant to say that I'm sure I read somewhere,but can't remember where, that it was the CC who told Denis to get himself made auxiliary Bishop of Rhemuth in order to be able to safeguard Duncan through his ordination. Duncan was ordained at Easter 1113 so the CC must have known that he was Deryni some years before that.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Lochiel

Your making me want to reread High Deryni, which I just read a few weeks ago!  Stefan Coram was able to fool Wencit with his Rhydion false identity which was something that Camber & Evaine were only able to do.  I wonder where did Stefan receive his training and did he have access to knowledge that others did not?  I'm still intrigued with his working outside the CC. 
I was just told by Evie that KK is working on a book about Killingford, wow that certainly is exciting news!
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

Laurna

I personally believe that the real visitations from Camber are the more ethereal events. The crowning of the king. Kelson's night vigil when the specter of Camber asked to be admitted into his ward major and then passing himself into Kelson for the event the following day. The visitation on the beach at Coroth. The second pair of hands laying across Alaric's as he uses his Healing powers.

When ever there is talking or more substantial interaction between Camber and Alaric or Duncan, then I am of the opinion that this is Stefan. I believe Stefan could project his image across distance. He could have been miles away in a deep trance somewhwere when he spoke to Duncan on the road.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Loris' brief vision of Camber appearing to censure him for his persecution of Deryni would definitely have been the actual Camber, as Stefan would have been dead for several years by that time.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Lochiel

I just finished rereading Quest for St Camber last night.  So was the visitation on the beach Camber himself, or some other secret Servant of St Camber?  I should go back through High Deryni and try and separate Stefan Coram from St Camber appearances.  I appreciate everyone's insight and thanks for everyone's input.  I am very intrigued with Stefan Coram and do believe besides being a noble person, to have access to knowledge and powers that the other CC members do not have.  I wonder if Denis Arilan was involved with his brother Jamyl with Stefan Coram, and perhaps others in a separate agenda outside the CC as the conversations between Jamyl & Stefan in the TKD reveal.  I would love to see KK do a short story on Stefan Coram (and some others)!
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

DesertRose

Quote from: Lochiel on May 26, 2016, 06:38:27 AM
I just finished rereading Quest for St Camber last night.  So was the visitation on the beach Camber himself, or some other secret Servant of St Camber?  I should go back through High Deryni and try and separate Stefan Coram from St Camber appearances.  I appreciate everyone's insight and thanks for everyone's input.  I am very intrigued with Stefan Coram and do believe besides being a noble person, to have access to knowledge and powers that the other CC members do not have.  I wonder if Denis Arilan was involved with his brother Jamyl with Stefan Coram, and perhaps others in a separate agenda outside the CC as the conversations between Jamyl & Stefan in the TKD reveal.  I would love to see KK do a short story on Stefan Coram (and some others)!

There's always fan fiction.  KK only has so much time and other obligations in her life (family, etc.), but she is very welcoming of fans playing in her sandbox as long as we do so respectfully.  :D

Not that I'm hinting you should go down the rabbit hole of writing fan fic.  Not me.  *pulls innocent look that probably fails miserably*
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Of COURSE you're not suggesting that, DR...... ;)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DesertRose

Quote from: Shiral on May 26, 2016, 01:19:29 PM
Of COURSE you're not suggesting that, DR...... ;)

Melissa

Wow, something besides my horns holding up my halo for once!   ;D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

You should check some of the archives on deryni.net by Susan. She wrote on Stefan several times.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Lochiel

BYNW,
Thanks for the tip, and I will.
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,