• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Stefan Coram

Started by Lochiel, May 22, 2016, 11:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochiel

Greetings friends!  I am a long time Deryni reader from the early 1980's, and it still is my favorite fantasy series.  I am currently rereading the Quest For Saint Camber and the Kelson series after rereading the Childe Morgan series after FINALLY, buying and reading the Kings Deryni.  Now Stefan Coram has long intrigued me as conspiring from within the Camberian Council to redirect the Council back to its lofty goals (this is what I believe) and it looks like Jamyl Arilan is also a conspirator in this from snippets from the King's Deryni. Does anyone else concur or have alternative ideas or information to the contrary?  I am also curious as to why Jamyl disappears from the series.  Does Stefan also have abilities and or powers not accessible to other high Deryni?   
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

DesertRose

Not sure about Stefan's powers.  Per Codex, Jamyl dies of injuries sustained in battle under King Brion against the Mearans in 1107.

If you can, you are invited and welcome to join us in chat this evening around 7pm US Eastern time; Ms. Kurtz generally joins us in the chat room and will entertain your questions, although an actual answer is her prerogative.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Lochiel

Thank you for your reply, I forgot to check my Codex for Jamyl (yikes).  But Stefan and to some extent Jamyl (and maybe others?) seem to be working outside the CC who has to some extent fallen from their lofty goals of its beginnings.  I thank you for your response and I will try and make the chat. Having Miss Kurtz in chat would certainly be a honor and treat! 
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

DesertRose

She shows up most Sundays, using her initials (KK) to sign in.  She's awesome, but the chats themselves are not always Deryni-oriented.  A lot of times we wander quite far afield topic wise, frequently discussing pets (particularly cats but sometimes dogs and other pets) and various projects and things that are going on in people's lives.  If you do join us (and I hope you can/will) and someone says or does something you don't understand, just ask if no one offers a spontaneous explanation.

When she joins us, we post a log of the chat for the time she is present under Chat Logs here on the forum; if you want to get a feel for what chat is like, feel free to check out the logs.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Lochiel

My last cat was named Ansel, and my present dog is named Camber (rescue dog) that is a german shepard/border collie/corgie/beagle mix and she is super smart!  So the animal friend chatting is cool! I hope I make it tonite or another one! Thanks again for welcoming me!
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

Demercia

Hi Lochiel, good to have you on board.  I am a bit of an irregular poster, due to pressure of work, but I am an accomplished forum lurker and try to make it to early chat - which is very kindly two hours earlier every first Sunday of the month to accommodate those of us on the east side of the Pond.  Your name took me back to my teens, "the flight of the heron" was probably the first book I fell in love with, not to mention its hero😀
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

Quote from: Lochiel on May 22, 2016, 06:41:29 PM
My last cat was named Ansel, and my present dog is named Camber (rescue dog) that is a german shepard/border collie/corgie/beagle mix and she is super smart!  So the animal friend chatting is cool! I hope I make it tonite or another one! Thanks again for welcoming me!

Mixed-breed dogs, in my experience, make the best pets.  :)

BTW, if you have a photo (or several) of Camber (or Ansel), you are welcome to upload any photos to the Gallery under Fur Kids, where there are many photos of the various pets of forum members.  KK's pets have their own gallery category, if you want to see the cats and dogs who share Ms. Kurtz's home.  (She has several of both species.)

revanne

Hi, good to have another Deryni-ite on the forum.

Fascinating topic you raise - there are some hints are that very powerful Deryni who still manage to survive in persecution era Gwynedd. Jamyl is one and Michon de Courcy is another who is mentioned and who fascinates me. So much backstory still to explore.

And yes - Lochiel is a name to bring back adolescent crushes.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

Oddly enough I have just seen a heron flying across from the local pond

Lochiel

Thank you friends for the kind replies.  Another question on Stefan Coram from the High Deryni book, is how does he know Duncan's very secret Deryni heritage from his mother's side?  And he has some high deryni abilities that seem to be equal or close to equal of Camber & Co.  I'll have to ask KK this on a future chat, and my belief that him and others may be working outside the CC for their own agenda which seems to be a return to the CC's original goals.  My user name has always held a special meaning to me.  I'm sure we will be seeing Lochiel in future Outlander episodes
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

Laurna

My guess is that Stefan had learned about Duncan's heritage from Denis Arilan. There are two questions unaswered.  Did Denis tell Stefan in private or did he tell all the CC members.  I suspect all the CC members knew. And the more important question is how did Denis discover Duncan's secret way back in Duncan's teen years, when no-one but Duncan, Alaric, Alice and Vera knew the truth? 
May your horses have wings and fly!

Lochiel

I like your guess, perhaps Dennis was told by Duncan during confession?  And since Denis is the brother of Jamyl who seems to be involved in a conspiracy with Stefan Coram and perhaps others, to redirect and restore the original lofty goals of the CC, I like your line of thought Laurna.  I would love to pose this question to kk.
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore

Demercia

That was my first thought too, that Duncan might have told Denis in confession - but I don't think it can be right, because at that stage Duncan would have no idea that Denis was Deryni.  Also Denis would have been bound from ever revealing that, or strictly, and I am sure he was punctilious, from acting on it.   I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't go much further back and whether Vera's parents didn't confide in the Arilan's,they both seem to be members of a Deryni elite.  And if Duncan discovers that it would help explain why he never forgives Denis for his hiding his identity and not helping.  Hmmm, I haven't got time at the moment to follow the threads, but I am on holiday in just over a week. 

Demercia

It also depends which of the mysterious appearances are Stefan and which actually Camber, what Stefan needs to have known when.

Lochiel

Vera's parents telling the Arilan's  or the CC or some select Deryni "elites" is a good line of thought.  Besides all the other mysteries surrounding Stefan Coram, how did he manage do things like assumption of Rhydon's identity, and disappear like he did to Duncan & Alaric?  On another note, I read a thread on the TKD and they discussed what I always believed that Alaric & Duncan were related and connected to the MacRories and why Camber would take a special interest in them because of that (besides their being deryni and working for much the same goals as Camber, his family and the original CC were)
I wish I would have joined this group years ago.
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
Thomas Moore