• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 237
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Newly created tomb for King Richard III in Leicester Cathedral

Started by revanne, April 22, 2016, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

I'm not sure I would not have preferred something a little more medieval traditional, but it might not have resonated with our more modern world. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

My DH agreed with you and thought it far too stark. I really liked the simplicity and the incised cross a symbol both of Richard's faith and the violent death he suffered. I couldn't really get a picture of the context, but the tomb is in a medieval church (made a Cathedral in the 1920's when Leicester became a city) and the stone is surrounded by banners at each corner. It is in effect a shrine although they are being careful not to say that.

If you hear of earthquakes at Windsor it's because the Tudors are revolving in their graves.

Rather startlingly this year has seen a dramatic reversal in the usually dismal performance of Leicester City Football club so maybe Richard is modern enough to take an interest in Association football!
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

;D hmm  So, Leicester City Football club is enjoying a insurgence of energy. If the Cathedral lawn gets chrurned up every now and then , we will know the cause.   ;D

I love the battle standard.

I am not sure I understand the modern figures on the pall.  Is the discovery of his remains more important than the story of the man's life? Should not that be the depiction on the side of the pall? Seems curious to me.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I think the pall depicts modern figures because the story of the finding of his body is quite a dramatic and powerful one, and is all based around Leicester.

I think it doesn't depict his life for a number of reasons:
The issue of who killed the princes in the tower is still unsolved, and therefore there is some controversy surrounding Richard's life. It was also a sad life spent in a time of civil war and his beloved wife and son predeceased him.

The other reason is another controversy - this time a modern one. The majority of Richard's adult life (he died aged 32) was spent in Yorkshire - it's arguable he was the last ruler of England whose power base was in the north - and York Minister argued fiercely that he should be buried there. It actually went to Court with the Judge commenting that we weren't fighting the wars of the roses over again! I don't think Leicester Cathedral would want to focus too much on anything involving Yorkshire. Having said that there are a couple of lovely new stained glass windows in the area containing the tomb which depict some of the events in Richard's life - the light was in the wrong place for me to get a picture of them.

(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

I think it's very elegant.  I don't presume to know what Richard himself would think, but I hope he'd like it.  :)  I hope at least he's pleased to be properly buried.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)