• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:22:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 131
Total: 132
JudithR
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

ideas

Started by DerynifanK, March 28, 2016, 06:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: DoctorM on April 17, 2016, 03:03:43 PM
Brother Cadfael and "Name of the Rose" and the Matthew Shardlake books to the contrary, I've always wondered about problems with "crime-solving" in a medieval world, especially where anything political might be involved. It's easy to imagine the Deryni hero using some mix of ratiocination and magic arts to work out who committed a crime, only to be dismissed because a culprit designated by low-birth or political expediency has already been seized, made to confess, and hanged. Or told by the local duke that, sorry, ducal friends do NOT commit crimes, so just keep your mouth shut, Master Detective.

Like that sort of thing doesn't happen in modern times, too?

Demercia

My thought exactly Elkhound.   
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

drakensis

I recently read King's Gambit by John Maddox Roberts,  a detective story set in ancient Rome a few years post-Spartacus.

The detective does solve the case and gets thrown into gaol for his troubles before getting sent off to the legions by the men implicated, after a good talking to by them and a warning that he's only alive because his father expended political capital to do so.

Elkhound

Anent another fantasy world one could cross over with the Deryniverse, what of Harry Turtledoves "Videssos" books?  Like KK, Turtledove has a background in history (Ph.D., Byzantine Studies, UCLA).  Videssos is a world similar to our own Byzantine Empire, but in which magic works.