• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Sorting hat meets Deryni

Started by revanne, February 09, 2016, 06:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Not sure whether this should be here or in tidbits.

A random conversation with Evie and DR led us to wonder which Hogwart's house some of our heroes might be in. Villains are easy, they are obviously Slytherin.

For starters: Alaric and Kelson, Gryffindor.
                     Evaine, Ravenclaw
                     Derry, Hufflepuff

I went for Camber as Slytherin but not sure that was a popular choice, Wencit on the other hand is most definitely Slytherin.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

Except that Wormtail, whose real name eludes me, was in Gryffindor.  So villains are not necessarily all in Slytherin. And vice versa.    I think I might put Denis Arilan in Slytherin. 
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

revanne

Quote from: Demercia on February 09, 2016, 07:26:44 AM
Except that Wormtail, whose real name eludes me, was in Gryffindor.  So villains are not necessarily all in Slytherin. And vice versa.    I think I might put Denis Arilan in Slytherin. 

So he was, I had forgotten. his name was Peter Pettigrew.

I can see where you're coming from with Denis. Alaric would doubtless agree!
(Psalm 46 v1)

Shiral

My choice for Camber would actually be Ravenclaw 1. Because he was a scholar and encouraged the love of scholarship in Evaine, and 2. because he and Evaine had that strong meeting of minds.  Duncan? I think he'd also be a Ravenclaw. Possibly Richenda as well.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

I thought Ravenclaw for Richenda and Duncan. I can see Camber in Ravenclaw but I thought Slytherin because of the way he pushes the boundaries. I have to confess I struggle with Camber because I think he gave Joram a hard time.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

I wrote a fanfic--which wasn't very good and will never see the light of day--where I took the idea that the Wizards of Harry Potter are the modern descendants of the Deryni.

One scene that I may re-use was a scene parallel to "The Other Minister" called "The Other Archbishop", where Lord Cary in Lambeth Palace had a conversation with the Wizardling Archbishop.  (Goeffery of Monmouth spoke of a third Archbishop in southern Britain called "The Archbishop of the City of the Legions"--I made that the origin of the Wizardling Archdiocese.)

Evie

I see Duncan as more Gryffindor, although he certainly has a leaning toward Ravenclaw tendencies and could be sorted there too if he chose. (Just like Hermione would have been a natural for Ravenclaw had not her innate heroism ended up tilting the balance towards Gryffindor instead.) Yes, we catch glimpses of scholarly Duncan in canon, but we see more of Duncan as a man of action and personal heroism (following his call to the priesthood despite the Statutes of Ramos).

Now, I could easily see Father Nivard sorted into Ravenclaw in a heartbeat!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Marko

From Camber's time:
Jebediah of Alcara: Hufflepuff
Joram and Javan: Gryffyndor
Rhys: Ravenclaw
All of the Regents: Slytherin

Laurna

LOL  OK but all of the Regents are muggles, Most likely the sorting hat would just laugh, and they would have thought it nothing but an old ugly hat.
I can see where Rhys is Ravenclaw, but the sorting hat may have wiggled a lot before picking that over Gryffyndor. Evaine would have had the same indecision but she would have asked for Ravenclaw to be with Rhys. 
May your horses have wings and fly!

Marko

Unfortunately there's no Muggleborn equivalent in the Deryni universe.  If there was, one or more of the Regents might have qualified that way.  Hubert and Rhun especially would have been stereotype Slytherins given their rabid tastes for power.

Evie

Muggles in the Deryni universe would be regular humans without any genetically-inherited magical potential (the same as in the Potter universe). And the regents were all regular humans, as I recall.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

I suppose the equivalent of a Muggleborn would be someone who had no idea he was Deryni until something happened to bring forth his power?

Marko

The Codex says that Rhun's grandfather was given title and land in 846 by Festil II.  It also states that he claimed to be descended from the Hort of Orsal.  While genealogy puts that claim as dubious, he was probably descended from a deryni.  The Festils weren't known for giving titles to humans (muggles).  This would possibly explain Rhun's overzealous desire in erasing St. Neots.  To use a 20th century US equivalent, the one drop rule.  Unlike Tom Riddle, who wanted to deny his muggle ancestry, Rhun might have thought to destroy anything and everything deryni to rid himself of the minuscule part of him that might have been  deryni.

Laurna

You make an interesting point.
Quote"Horthness. This small barony is located in the central part of the Purple March, having been granted by King Festil I to Sir Remig von Horthy on the 6th day of June in the 846. Baron Remig claimed to be a descendant of Rogan the Hort of Orsal and Prince of Tralia, although most genealogists give this statement little credence.   His grandson was Rhun called the Ruthtless, later Earl of Sheele. "
Codex page 116.

Rogan von Horthy was Hort of Orsal 655-661 He was the son of Wilfred von Horthy who was Hort of Orsal 611-630. Rogan's grandmother was an Heiress of West Tralia, Princess Dorothea. But the Hort of Orsals did not inherit East Tralia until March of 847 when the ruler Prince Yordan de Vitry died without heirs. Codex page 197.

Therefore, between Sir Remig and His Highness Rogan is 200 years. That is at least eight generations. Even if the linage is true, which many contend, Derynianus seems to fall away at about the 5th generation, unless new Deryni blood is introduced.   I could see where Rhun could be jealous of old family stories, but I doubt he had any abilities of his own.

Codex 276 - 885 January 2, Hereditary Lord Rhun is born to Ulys Baron of Horthness (son of Remig) and Ranalta Lady Rinville.

I see your point about Festil giving land to only Deryni. Could it be that Sir Remig made the claim of the name Horthy just to hold some land in the Purple March when most humans were being ousted from land ownership.  Whether the Horthiness are Deryni or not does leave for an interesting thought because Rhun's daughter, Adelicia who marries Tambert I Fitz-Arthur Quinnell 1st duke of Cassan. (Remember at this point Cassan hates Deryni too). Adelicia and Tambert's eldest son, Tammaron II Fitz- Arthur Quinnell marries Tiphane (who is secretly half-Deryni and the granddaughter of Rhys and Evaine). After this marriage, we can truly say there is Deryni blood in Cassan. But before that?... I have to question it.

May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Marko on February 15, 2016, 11:06:05 AM
The Codex says that Rhun's grandfather was given title and land in 846 by Festil II.  It also states that he claimed to be descended from the Hort of Orsal.  While genealogy puts that claim as dubious, he was probably descended from a deryni.  The Festils weren't known for giving titles to humans (muggles).  This would possibly explain Rhun's overzealous desire in erasing St. Neots.  To use a 20th century US equivalent, the one drop rule.  Unlike Tom Riddle, who wanted to deny his muggle ancestry, Rhun might have thought to destroy anything and everything deryni to rid himself of the minuscule part of him that might have been  deryni.

Really interesting. I can't think of any mention of the Regents being tested with Merasha. Being very weak Deryni might explain the extreme hostility. On the other hand in Canon it's hard to explain why Oriel as a Deryni sniffer doesn't reveal this to Javan in the brief period of hope at the beginning of his reign.
(Psalm 46 v1)