• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

ideas

Started by DerynifanK, March 28, 2016, 06:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

What ever happened to Price Albin?  Also would like to hear more about Kelson and Araxie. The stories on this site are wonderful. My favorites are Maidens of Mayhem and Gryphon by the Tail.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Evie

Elec P Carpenter was writing a story about Prince Albin, but I don't know if he has had a chance to update it lately.  You can find the link to it in the story database, since he's got it on a Google Doc rather than posted directly to the forum here. I'd also love to hear more about Kelson and Araxie.  For some odd reason those characters don't talk to me very much except for when they're needed for a particular scene.  And the same is true about Alaric and Richenda, which is why you don't see more from me about that couple, although I like them both very much.

Maidens of Mayhem was loads of fun to write, albeit the writing schedule got a bit stressful, as I was quite literally writing a chapter per day and posting them as I went, so that put a lot of (largely self-imposed) pressure on me that I was relieved to have over by the end of it. I've not tried to keep that sort of pace since then, but at the time it was great discipline because it forced me to write every day and kept me to a deadline, both of which were habits I needed to cultivate.  I still write on a more regular schedule if I give myself a timetable, I'm just more realistic now about what sort of timetable I can actually stick to and still lead a somewhat normal life!  ;D

Alkari (the author of Gryphon by the Tail) has been on a long hiatus from the Forum because of some Real Life issues she has been very busy dealing with, but she hopes to return to the Sunday chats once her life has returned to normal, and I'm hoping she'll feel inspired to write more fanfic as well.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

IIRC, Elec P. Carpenter is having some problems with consistent internet access, unless I'm mixing him up with another forum member/chat participant, so that may explain why the Prince Albin story may not have been updated recently.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DerynifanK

Thanks Evie for the help in finding Eric's stories about Albin. I did wonder before I read this if he might choose to join the Anvillers whom he would have been familliar with through Azim.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DerynifanK

I would also like to hear more about Liam and Matyas. Hiw does Liam's reign evolve and how do he and Kelson wirk together?  I wasn't sure about Balance of Power as I ,ove the nedeval world but once I started I couldn't put it down. I would never have thought bringing it into modern times would work so well. Thanks fir another great story.

Evie

Thank you! I was nervous at first about whether anyone would like the story, since of course 900 years after Kelson the characters would all be new in addition to the era being completely different, but of all the fantasy worlds I can think of, the Deryni world seemed most translatable to a modern age, and I wondered how Deryni might look in modern times and how the availability of heritable magic might influence the development of a society and technology.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on April 01, 2016, 10:06:51 AM
but of all the fantasy worlds I can think of, the Deryni world seemed most translatable to a modern age, and I wondered how Deryni might look in modern times and how the availability of heritable magic might influence the development of a society and technology.
Can you imagine Valdemar or Westeros or Earthsea or Middle Earth brought to the 20th C.?  (Well, to be fair by the end of the Mage Storms, Valdemar seemed to be right on the edge of the Industrial Revolution.)

drakensis

There's a (rather sprawling) fic over on another forum I read which has Westeros busily engaged in an industrial revolution by the War of Five Kings. More precisely the North is industrializing and the southern kingdoms are just beginning to realize just how much that's going to impact them. (The Others aren't too pleased either).
For the curious, Greyjoy alla Breve.

On another note, what other fantasy settings would be entertainingly crossed with the Deryni universe?

A Song of Ice and Fire would seem possible but geographically tricky (settings with an ocean to their east can just be across the Sunset Sea from Westeros) and... well, Morgan acting as ambassador to the court of Robert Baratheon would probably give him a headache and destroy their government almost incidentally. ("I stopped truthseeing almost immediately and just assumed everyone I spoke to was lying through their teeth.")

Elkhound

Quote from: drakensis on April 02, 2016, 03:06:31 AM
On another note, what other fantasy settings would be entertainingly crossed with the Deryni universe?

I once wrote a Deryni/Harry Potter cross that postulated that the Wizardlings were the modern-day descendants of the Deryni; it wasn't very good and it will never see the light of day, but there was one scene I may re-use involving a conversation in Lambeth Palace between the ABC and The Other Archbishop, modeled on "The Other Minister".

Valdemar is another idea; Alaric & Talia I think would have a great deal to say to one another--the positions of Queens Own Herald and Crown Champion are not unalike, and both were forced into that role at rather too young an age.

A little off the question, but someone wrote a cross between GOT and the Marvel Cinematic Universe based on Ironman's surname.

drakensis

Okay, done: A Man of Iron

(No, I didn't write it but someone did.)

DoctorM

I somewhere read--- online, but I can't recall where ---part of a short story where about a thousand years after Kelson's time, a Gwynedd princess descended from the Haldanes is reading about the Deryni (whose bloodline seems to have run out; the powers exist only in tales about the far-distant past) and trying to imagine what having the abilities would be like. Does anyone else recall ever seeing the story?

Elkhound

Quote from: DoctorM on April 16, 2016, 03:57:30 PM
I somewhere read--- online, but I can't recall where ---part of a short story where about a thousand years after Kelson's time, a Gwynedd princess descended from the Haldanes is reading about the Deryni (whose bloodline seems to have run out; the powers exist only in tales about the far-distant past) and trying to imagine what having the abilities would be like. Does anyone else recall ever seeing the story?

I remember it;  IIRC, she gets a visitation from Camber who reactivates her powers.

DoctorM

That just may be it. Do you recall the title at all?

Elkhound

Quote from: DoctorM on April 17, 2016, 11:19:37 AM
That just may be it. Do you recall the title at all?

Sorry, no.

How about a Deryni version of Sherlock Holmes?

DoctorM

Brother Cadfael and "Name of the Rose" and the Matthew Shardlake books to the contrary, I've always wondered about problems with "crime-solving" in a medieval world, especially where anything political might be involved. It's easy to imagine the Deryni hero using some mix of ratiocination and magic arts to work out who committed a crime, only to be dismissed because a culprit designated by low-birth or political expediency has already been seized, made to confess, and hanged. Or told by the local duke that, sorry, ducal friends do NOT commit crimes, so just keep your mouth shut, Master Detective.