• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 271
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 272
Total: 272
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 03:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

who warned Arlic and Duncan after the council meeting? / High Deryni.

Started by HealingWaters, March 27, 2016, 11:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HealingWaters

My money is on one of two people, either Tiercel or Stefan Coram.

Laurna

I believe it was Stefan Coram. I don't know that anyone else would have known how much Camber's visage would have effected Duncan so.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

According to the Codex, it was Stefan Coram who "took on the appearance of Camber Earl of Culdi on occasion to warn Alaric Morgan Duke of Corwyn and Father Duncan McLain of the dangers they faced from their Deryni challengers."
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

HealingWaters

But was it Stefan on the road to Morgan? for Duncan, and on the beach as Stefan was dead already.

revanne

My take is that it was Stefan Coram - although I am still confused as to how he knew that Duncan had said to Alaric that his priesthood was meaning less to him as he began to use his powers. Although as I type it occurs to me that he was possibly Reading Duncan as he spoke -Duncan's shock at the encounter making his shields temporarily ineffective.I don't think Tiercel would care enough about their fate, whereas Coram has gone to extreme lengths to covertly oppose Wencit's ambitions for a very long time.

On the beach at the end of QfSC I'm inclined to think that it is the unpredictable saint himself who is enjoying being enigmatic.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on March 27, 2016, 04:36:46 PM

On the beach at the end of QfSC I'm inclined to think that it is the unpredictable saint himself who is enjoying being enigmatic.

That seems a very Camber-ish thing to do, LOL.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

HealingWaters

But Stefan voted in council to test their fortitude whereas Terrcel voted against, with Arlan.

drakensis

Stefan Coram may have realised which way the vote would go.  Laran, Thorne and Kyri had voted in favour already. Arilan and Tiercel were likely to oppose. If either one of Barrett or Vivienne voted in favour and Coram voted against then the council would be deadlocked (similarly if he voted for and they both voted against). If they both voted for and Coram voted against, Coram loses and has weakened his position. It's likely from past experience Coram knew where Barret and Vivienne would vote (for, as it turned out) and voted accordingly, placing himself with the majority but remaining sympathetic to Arilan and Tiercel, able to support them from behind the scenes.

Not to mention that it opened the way for his strategy against Wencit. If Duncan and Morgan weren't open to challenge then they couldn't have supported Kelson directly against Wencit's challenge so he'd probably have declined it and Coram wouldn't have been able to manipulate the outcome.

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

Lochiel

Very astute observation Drakensis. I also believe Stefan was not only leading on the CC for his agenda outside the CC, but was also manuevering against Thorne Hagan who was helping Wencit
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore