• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

museum exhibit of a fairytale castle

Started by Laurna, February 29, 2016, 10:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Shiral.. Evie... This is especially for you two
I think others will enjoy the video too.

The museum of science and industry in Chicago built a castle and I  think you will love the making of it.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/fairycastle/video/

Here you can take a tour of the finished rooms.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/fairycastle/the-exhibit/
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Thanks, Laurna! That is really cool. (Although I giggled a little when I saw the tiny pipe, since I've never met a pipe-smoking fairy. (Okay, I haven't met any non-smoking fairies either, to my knowledge.)

My other thought was "Dang, I am SO under-staffed and under equipped!"

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Thank you for sharing. Utterly beautiful.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Wow - a truly awesome project.  Thanks for sharing, Laurna!

Can you imagine Coroth Castle done to this exquisite detail?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

There I see the pipe. ;D  had to watch it again.  Shiral you've got sharp eyes.

This is very 17th-18th century, but I could so see a similar layout done in the 12th century style of Rhemuth, (minus the pipe). Jerusha, you and I could have our not-so-virtual tour of the mini-castle with Morgan.  ;D ;D ;D

revanne

I think Evie may have posted this before but if anyone gets the chance Google the Time Team special on Dover Castle. The film was made in 2009 and the project,  to restore the keep to how it was in 1180, is now complete. I was lucky enough to visit last year and it is magnificent. Coroth rather than Rhemuth, I think, because of it's strategic position.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

Isn't this the same fairy castle that they have had for decades? Unfortunately I can't get the links to work.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

Yes, this is the same one created decades ago, but has been refurbished. Seeing how everyone loves miniatures around here I thought to share it.
Here is the main page
http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/colleen-moores-fairy-castle
If you click on "video" at the top it will take you to them rebuilding it.

Revanne, I love that you think Dover Castle is more like Coroth Castle.  I hadn't thought of that. Very cool.  Now, Jerusha and I need to go on vacation to get a Dover Coroth Castle tour.   LOVE IT!

Aerlys

Ah, opened the link. It is the same fairy castle. It was donated to the museum by silent film actress, Colleen Moore. I remember seeing it more than once when we visited the museum. It is absolutely fabulous. Of course, Moore had the resources to create such a masterpiece.

I used to have a book on it, but it has disappeared after so many years. Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. The details are impressive. It's the stuff dreams are made of. There's even a chapel with an altar with a tiny relic of the True Cross.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

Quote from: Laurna on March 01, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
Yes, this is the same one created decades ago, but has been refurbished. Seeing how everyone loves miniatures around here I thought to share it.
Here is the main page
http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/colleen-moores-fairy-castle

Revanne, I love that you think Dover Castle is more like Coroth Castle.  I hadn't thought of that. Very cool.  Now, Jerusha and I need to go on vacation to get a Dover Coroth Castle tour.   LOVE IT!

I'm all packed and ready to go, Laurna, but we need a "flat Alaric" for all the photo opportunities.   :D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Quote from: Jerusha on March 01, 2016, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: Laurna on March 01, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
Here is the main page

I'm all packed and ready to go, Laurna, but we need a "flat Alaric" for all the photo opportunities.   :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Ld-GFdOE56SF9tdklwb2U2alE/view?usp=sharing

You were saying?   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: revanne on March 01, 2016, 05:55:20 AM
I think Evie may have posted this before but if anyone gets the chance Google the Time Team special on Dover Castle. The film was made in 2009 and the project,  to restore the keep to how it was in 1180, is now complete. I was lucky enough to visit last year and it is magnificent. Coroth rather than Rhemuth, I think, because of it's strategic position.

Definitely more like Coroth in terms of location, but in terms of the furnishings (especially in the Great Hall), it seems closer to a Haldane choice of colors, with all that red and gold/yellow, not to mention the rampant lion!  (Though it's facing the wrong way for the Haldane Lion. It ought to be facing the viewer.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Thanks, Evie!  Now we are ready to travel. :)

-- Old English Litany