• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,560
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 09:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Check-in Thread for Emergencies (Bad Storms, Etc.)

Started by DesertRose, February 23, 2016, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

I'm stealing this idea from another forum I've been on for years for fans of another book series.

Any time we've got nasty weather or some other natural disaster, pop in here and let us know you're okay!

Right now, I know Evie is dealing with some severe thunderstorms (I believe she's under tornado watch right now) but last I heard, the worst of it was passing south of her, although I assume they're getting some fairly heavy rain and probably lightning and thunder.

So if you're in the path of that storm system, stay safe, and let us know if you're okay.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

No worries, my ruby slippers aren't sticking out from under some house. ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Shiral

Good glad to hear it. But wait a sec.... You never told us you HAD any ruby slippers!  ;)

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

We're getting some snow here, and as usual everyone panics.

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

We have snow, snow, snow - and did I mention snow?

It has finally stopped, and DH had to clear the driveway three times today.  He now has to play "traffic cop" and let me know when it is safe when I leave for work because I can't see over the snow banks at the end of the driveway to drive safely into the street!

But we have power, which some did not for quite a while, so I am not complaining (much).  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Wow, Jerusha!  That's a lot of "inconvenience powder" (funny term for snow I read elsewhere online).

Y'all stay safe and warm, too.  :)

Aerlys

Pacific Northwest weather remains boring. Even our thunderstorms aren't much more than a grumble.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

Quote from: Aerlys on February 25, 2016, 07:11:11 PM
Pacific Northwest weather remains boring. Even our thunderstorms aren't much more than a grumble.

As is the case in those itty bitty Atlantic islands north -west of Europe.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Hum...  let me see. Yesterday- sunny... Today-sunny.... Tomorrow- Sunny... the next ten days- SUNNY!
I can not even begin to imagine what it would be like to live in snow. Let alone drive in it. or shovel drive ways.
All I can say is keep dry and warm and drive very safely.
Stay safe and healthy my friends!
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Well, Laurna, you're in a part of the world that's subject to the occasional earthquake, yes?  So this thread is for that too.  :)

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on February 25, 2016, 05:43:04 PM
Stay warm and safe, Elkhound (and Roberta)!

It didn't materialize, although we have had a cold snap.

DesertRose

Well, I'm glad the snow was a false alarm.  Stay warm, anyway.  :)

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on February 26, 2016, 07:58:38 PM
Well, I'm glad the snow was a false alarm.  Stay warm, anyway.  :)
Snow I can deal with.  The way everyone her goes into an absolute PANIC at the very thought of snow.  You'd think that they'd never seen snow before!  We're far enough north and hiegh enough in elevation that it is to e expected that we gt snow in winter, yet it seems to come as a complete and hideous surprise every year.  I can understand people in Alabama or Florida panicing at snow--but not here in West Virginia!

DesertRose

I know what you mean.  I expect it's similar to the way people here panic over heavy rain.  Um, hello?  It's Florida.  It's the lightning strike capital of Planet Earth.  We might be nicknamed the Sunshine State but we get a LOT of rain.  Learn to deal.