• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Map of the Eleven Kingdoms

Started by DesertRose, December 29, 2017, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Okay, just to make this resource easy to find, at the link you will find a map of the Eleven Kingdoms, originally published with the Deryni Adventure Game and also presently in use in the more recently published novels.

Evie originally posted the link in the Semi-Free-Form Gaming forum, in the Out-of-Character Thread, but I thought I'd just put it here for general reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol6jdvd9ld754kq/Gwynedd%20Map%20Cropped.jpg?dl=0

(Map courtesy of the Deryni Adventure Game. It's the same version printed in the more recent series of Deryni books.  Hopefully this scan will constitute fair use, since we're not attempting to profit from using it.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Bynw

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DoctorM

I'd love to see more places on the map-- major cities or castle towns in the bigger duchies, including in Torenth. What is the capital of ducal Tolan? Or of Marluk country and Arjenol? And I do wish the maps went further east and south...

Evie

Quote from: Fruit on October 01, 2022, 08:26:09 PMThat's the one I've been using.  What locations do not appear on that map?  Can we create a edited copy that's updated?  What locations should appear on such an updated map?

The locations that appear on the different map version all depend on whichever ones are featured in the specific book that map appears in, so to create a map that has all of those locations on it, someone would need to pick one map (preferably the most up-to-date version) and add all the previously depicted locations on it. But then we run into a different problem, because not only has the entire Kingdom stretched a bit longer from East to West over the decades to fit the wider page sizes of the modern hardback books they fit into, but also if I'm remembering correctly, some of the river paths have entirely changed. That's why I've found it best to stick with the latest version of that map and consider only that version the "canonical" one, and then just do a "best guess" as to where any other locations might fit into the Kingdom in relation to the locations depicted on that map.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DerynifanK

In the case of Arx Fidei, when we were actively involved in the game, I know I saw a map that actually showed both locations, the older one close to Rhemuth and the newer one near Valoret. I found written descriptions of both locations but have not been able to find that map again. If anyone runs across it, would you please let me know where to find it. Thanks, DFK.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

DFk, Those were on the GOTP game map. After I realized there were Two Arx Fidei in the codex, I placed them both on the game map so people would not get confused. I placed the abbey near where it is on the Deryni Adventure game map and I placed the Seminary where the description in the codex says it should be. We know the Abbey near Rhemuth was from Javan's time. and we Know the Seminary near Valoret was in young Alaric's time. And we know from several fanfiction stories that both were re-initiated as sites for St Jorian in Kelsons reign.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Ghosts of the Past.  It started as a role-playing game led by our Gamemaster, Bynw.  It lasted three years and nine months and turned into four novels!  The game itself, and the PDF versions available for download, are on the forum.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DoctorM

I keep looking at the map and thinking-- where are the Marluk lands? They aren't where logically they should me, but then again...my eyes aren't what they once were. And I wish we knew the capital of Tolan!