• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 187
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 183
Total: 183

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Chapter Twenty-Seven

Started by Evie, December 16, 2015, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Quote from: drakensis on December 19, 2015, 02:02:57 AM
Not to mention that while Morgan is heir now, Sophia is rather expected to provide additional heirs to take that role off him. (Sure, activating Nigel worked out, but Conall didn't so I doubt that empowering an heir likely to be superceded was a precedent followed much after Kelson's reign).

Hmm. That actually does suggest to me the question of what/if Nigel ever makes much use of his empowerment. It probably was never advertised it happened, so a rogue deryni might get a very nasty shock if he tries something in Carthmoor on the assumption that an 'old' human Haldane won't be able to stop him. (Nigel is only 43 as of 1130 which isn't young by medieval standards but he's likely still vigorous). I'll note that down in my story ideas folder.

According to Deryni Magic, before the participants in Conall's could Empower him (not knowing that his powers had already been awakened previously due to Tiercel's training of him), they first had to remove the Haldane potential from his unconscious father.  Or at least they thought they did (that's what the first part of the ritual was about that was performed with comatose Nigel before they centered the rest of the ritual on empowering Conall), though they would have been acting on the belief that only one Haldane can wield the full Haldane powers at any one time, so possibly that first stage of the ritual was unnecessary after all.  So for Nigel to give someone a nasty shock by wielding those powers, I think he might need to be re-empowered first. Granted, it's not out of the realm of possibility--if Kelson were to die while his heir was still a minor, either Nigel or Araxie are the natural choices to serve as Regent, so even if Araxie were to serve in this role, she might still want the Iron Duke of Gwynedd fully empowered and able to protect a child king. (And for that matter, there's also the question of whether Araxie herself could be empowered, given that she is also a Haldane . . . .)

For simplicity's sake in my AU version of the story world, I am going under the assumption that the Haldane potential-setting and potential-removal are partly genetic (you must have Haldane blood to inherit the ability to receive the potential in the first place) and partly magically-influenced (so that the Haldane monarch can prevent just anyone who happens to descend from the Haldane bloodline from being able to become fully empowered).  That way Reginald's attainder of Halbert would not simply bar him from inheriting the throne, he could also be magically stripped of his (and his descendants') ability to ever receive the magical birthright of the Haldane potential. 

Jerusha, it might or might not help that I tried to include everyone who puts in any sort of appearance in the story in that spreadsheet, even if it was just a tiny walk-on part, or even (in Healer Turner's case) a brief mention of him in a single scene. It's possible I missed a character or two, but if they had a name and got even a passing mention, I tried to include them. So the inclusion of someone in the spreadsheet doesn't necessarily mean they play a significant role in the story.  There is at least one other character in that list who has not yet made an appearance, and another one who was just mentioned in passing earlier and won't be mentioned again until the epilogue.

That said, keep in mind that not all story threads will be neatly resolved and tied with a bow by the end of this story, since a two week period is way too short a time for some plotlines to fully play out, and I do want to leave some doors open to allow for the possibility of a sequel . . . .   :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

NavaWazr

I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer

drakensis

Quote from: Laurna on December 19, 2015, 12:44:55 PMDrakensis, I love the thought of that story,  please do tell.
It's no more than a thought at this point and Evie does raise an interesting point. Chapter 20 of TQfSC does make it clear that the powers were withdrawn "nothing but his lingering shields remained to show that even rudimentary Haldane gifts had ever been conferred"

That suggests some fairly competent authorities were sure nothing was left. He has shields but those aren't exactly unheard of. Indeed, Cinhil Haldane manifested that much before his own empowerment which made life difficult for Rhys and Joram in CoC. Whether or not he could re-develop the other powers again without another empowerment (which would be an unlikely event) is open to doubt - he has a very distant Deryni ancestry after all.

But we are drifting somewhat off the topic of Evie's fic.

Evie

I don't mind off-topic discussion, especially if it sparks another fanfic idea! Keep in mind that Conall was able to have his potential awakened by Tiercel's training (and if I'm remembering correctly, DM either states or at least strongly implied that Conall's empowerment ritual didn't "take" because he was empowered already), which I would think implies that Nigel could also learn such powers. Although, being Nigel, he would never seek to do so without his sovereign's permission. Kelson may well see an advantage to having his loyal uncle secretly re-invested and trained in his Haldane powers, however, and wouldn't that be a nasty surprise for their enemies to discover? :-D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on December 20, 2015, 04:02:34 PM
I don't mind off-topic discussion, especially if it sparks another fanfic idea! Keep in mind that Conall was able to have his potential awakened by Tiercel's training (and if I'm remembering correctly, DM either states or at least strongly implied that Conall's empowerment ritual didn't "take" because he was empowered already),

I think it says that it had the effect of integrating the assumed memories from Tiercel's death-reading.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 21, 2015, 08:51:28 AM
Quote from: Evie on December 20, 2015, 04:02:34 PM
I don't mind off-topic discussion, especially if it sparks another fanfic idea! Keep in mind that Conall was able to have his potential awakened by Tiercel's training (and if I'm remembering correctly, DM either states or at least strongly implied that Conall's empowerment ritual didn't "take" because he was empowered already),

I think it says that it had the effect of integrating the assumed memories from Tiercel's death-reading.

That sounds right. So the ritual had some effect, just not as dramatic an effect as it would have if Conall hadn't had any powers (aside from the usual rudimentary Haldane shields) to begin with.

--WARNING!!!--