• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Chapter Twenty-Seven

Started by Evie, December 16, 2015, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

"In order to avert further potential confusion for US readers, I'm pretty sure revanne means "diary" in the more UK sense (Diana keeping track of the Princess's schedule, especially of upcoming events) rather than the US sense (Diana keeping a journal of the Princess's innermost thoughts and feelings as well as recording her day's events, which would be an odd duty to assign to a private secretary, no matter how close the Princess might have been to her staff)."

Thanks for the clarification, Evie, I hadn't realised that there was a difference in meaning between the UK and US. It was managing the Princess's future appointments rather than potential tabloid sensation that I meant.

Druthers is a new one on me too.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on December 17, 2015, 03:12:46 PM
Druthers is a new one on me too.

If I'm not mistaken, it comes from "would rather," with "rather" mispronounced a little bit.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 17, 2015, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: NavaWazr on December 17, 2015, 12:03:20 PM

(Sophia needs to defend herself to bring her powers to the forefront? I don't completely understand)

I think the idea is that the full power of an Haldane is activated by an urgent need to use it.

Essentially yes, this is correct.  In Deryni Magic there is a reference to the need in most cases for some critical event to serve as the catalyst that unlocks the power assumed by Haldane during their empowerment ritual.  The latent power is activated during the ritual, but it's that climactic event, that moment of need, that serves as the catalyst that unleashes its full power.  For Kelson, these two things happen pretty close together, but as you'll recall, when he first steps on the Defender's Seal (at which point he theoretically had completed the ritualistic requirements for his empowerment), he doesn't feel any difference, but at the critical moment when he finds himself facing Charissa and needing to know how to call on his powers in the Duel Arcane, suddenly that knowledge springs up within him.  His showdown with Charissa is the catalytic event.  There are some exceptions to this--Conall had received training prior to his empowerment ceremony, so his empowerment ritual may have just confirmed him in his power and added more knowledge to what he already had--but for the most part there generally tends to be some event that becomes the key to unlocking the power that was conferred during the empowerment ritual.

In the same way, Sophia's potential was set and her Haldane powers have been conferred upon her, but she has not yet had to call them up in their full power, and this is the necessary step that Peter refers to--the challenge that Sophia must yet face before she can call upon the deep wellspring of power that is inherent in an empowered and fully activated Haldane monarch.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on December 17, 2015, 03:07:12 PM
Quote from: Evie on December 17, 2015, 02:58:50 PM
And left to his own druthers, that would probably have been Aubrey's original intent, but of course greedy Malcolm just couldn't let well enough alone.

Aubrey rather strikes me as too lazy to be as malevolent as Malcolm.  It's not a case of him being less evil, it's a case of can't be arsed.  (At least, that's my take on him.)

Yup. Aubrey is just as twisted as Malcolm in his own way. Though it might not be laziness that keeps him from aspiring to be King of Gwynedd so much as just having his hands full already just trying to keep a firm rein on Camberia.  Not everyone there is happy with having the Atherton-Haldanes in power, and there are other ambitious Deryni lords who would just as soon challenge him for the throne if he shows any signs of weakness or spreading himself too thin. So what appears to be laziness compared to Malcolm's greedy ambition could simply be a more realistic outlook on how much he is willing and able to take on all at once.

--WARNING!!!--

Marko

Just how many sleeper agents does Malcolm have?  Every few chapters we hear of yet another one.  In the latest case three of them.

Evie

Quote from: Marko on December 17, 2015, 03:58:23 PM
Just how many sleeper agents does Malcolm have?  Every few chapters we hear of yet another one.  In the latest case three of them.

Maybe more than a dozen, possibly less than a hundred, perhaps more. :D  I don't have a specific number in mind because I don't want to create restrictions on any future story needs. However, should anything happen to Malcolm, chances are that any sleepers (as opposed to active agents such as Torrence who act out of personal loyalty and/or a high pay check) will remain inactive. Unless, of course, someone else knows how to activate them . . . .

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on December 17, 2015, 03:29:36 PM
Quote from: DesertRose on December 17, 2015, 03:07:12 PM
Quote from: Evie on December 17, 2015, 02:58:50 PM
And left to his own druthers, that would probably have been Aubrey's original intent, but of course greedy Malcolm just couldn't let well enough alone.

Aubrey rather strikes me as too lazy to be as malevolent as Malcolm.  It's not a case of him being less evil, it's a case of can't be arsed.  (At least, that's my take on him.)

Yup. Aubrey is just as twisted as Malcolm in his own way. Though it might not be laziness that keeps him from aspiring to be King of Gwynedd so much as just having his hands full already just trying to keep a firm rein on Camberia.  Not everyone there is happy with having the Atherton-Haldanes in power, and there are other ambitious Deryni lords who would just as soon challenge him for the throne if he shows any signs of weakness or spreading himself too thin. So what appears to be laziness compared to Malcolm's greedy ambition could simply be a more realistic outlook on how much he is willing and able to take on all at once.

Okay, I'll buy "Aubrey has his hands too full with Camberia."  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Typical of the Cambarian Council to do the que up- 'If he kills you, I will take him on next. Than if he kills you, I will be next.'

WHOWA! Hold your horses! Were talking about a string of dead people here, with Morgan being the first. What kind of plan is that? Not a very good one, if you ask me. Now, lets get serious, if Morgan Haldane is going to challenge Malcolm Atherton-Haldane, wouldn't it be best to know that Morgan can WIN?  Give Morgan the upper hand. Empower him too! He will never be a threat to Sophia's reign, He is the legitimate KING/heir, Yes!  Also, how do the CC know for sure that Malcolm has not found a way to get himself Empowered already. He does have Haldane blood, after all. And even if it is a one-on-one battle, Malcolm will have tricks up his sleeve, so the CC better make sure Morgan knows how to counter any and all tricks. Also everyone better guard Morgan's back until the day of the funeral. Malcolm may have plans to "Off" the second "Haldane Pup" before that day even arrives. And that means, double guard against the new private secretary, Diana.  I DO NOT TRUST HER! Really, really need to watch for a knife plunged into a Morgan shoulder. I worry a thousand-year-old-history is about to be replayed, only Morgan does not have Alaric's Healing powers.

Am I being paranoid here? This is an Evie/Deryni story. I think NOT!  :o ;D :o
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL! I don't think the CC was ever seriously considering that challenge line-up as their only contingency plan in case Malcolm puts in an appearance. Their "queueing up" during the meeting was more along the lines of letting Sophia know that they were united in their loyalty to her and their willingness to lay down their lives if need be in her service. (Or, in Elspeth's case, even she is willing to offer up her life in order to keep an Atherton-Haldane off the throne of Gwynedd, even if she'd rather not have anyone on the throne at all, because at least she recognizes that if the monarchy is going to continue, Sophia is the heir she'd much rather have on the throne than Malcolm!) That certainly doesn't mean that's the only plan anyone is going to come up with.  Being willing to serve Sophia "in living and in dying" does not mean they've got a collective death wish!  ;D

Morgan is already a fully trained Deryni, having inherited Morgan and McLain genes as well as his Haldane bloodline and being well aware of his Deryni heritage since early childhood, so I'm not sure if Empowerment would give him any particular advantage at this point.  (Yes, Sophia is also a Deryni as well as Haldane, but in her case she was completely unaware that she had full Deryni potential, and that potential was blocked and completely untrained, so in her case--as in Kelson's--the Empowerment was necessary despite having a Deryni mother to pass those powers down to her through the maternal line. Otherwise, to reach Morgan's level of magical knowledge, she'd need to train for years, and I assure you Malcolm wouldn't be interested in waiting that long to make his move!) Sure, it might give Morgan a little more of an edge, especially if there are any gaps in his training, but on the other hand, with a potential attack from Malcolm possible at any time, it might not be the best idea for Morgan and four other loyal Deryni to fatigue themselves in a highly energy-consuming ritual working just at the moment. What if Malcolm were to make his move before they had a chance to recover their energy?

As to whether Malcolm has been Empowered, I'm not sure that he can be.  (I'm postulating that more than simple genetic relationship is involved with the passing on of the Haldane powers, and that when his ancestor Halbert was stripped of his inheritance and the throne passed to his younger brother, Halbert's ability to be potentialized was also magically stripped from him as well as from his future heirs. Malcolm and Aubrey are both powerful Deryni lords, but the power they wield is not derived from any sort of Haldane empowerment.)

Poor Diana!  Barely a day into her new job, and the subject of universal fear and distrust from her reading audience already!  LOL! 

--WARNING!!!--

drakensis

Not to mention that while Morgan is heir now, Sophia is rather expected to provide additional heirs to take that role off him. (Sure, activating Nigel worked out, but Conall didn't so I doubt that empowering an heir likely to be superceded was a precedent followed much after Kelson's reign).

Hmm. That actually does suggest to me the question of what/if Nigel ever makes much use of his empowerment. It probably was never advertised it happened, so a rogue deryni might get a very nasty shock if he tries something in Carthmoor on the assumption that an 'old' human Haldane won't be able to stop him. (Nigel is only 43 as of 1130 which isn't young by medieval standards but he's likely still vigorous). I'll note that down in my story ideas folder.

Demercia

I'm hoping that it wasn't me who started the "Diana is a menace", thread with my comment that the was someone in dramatis personae whom we hadn't yet met.  I was actually thinking of the unnamed Sophia look-a-like.  Or have I missed something?
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Marko

QuoteLOL! I don't think the CC was ever seriously considering that challenge line-up as their only contingency plan in case Malcolm puts in an appearance. Their "queueing up" during the meeting was more along the lines of letting Sophia know that they were united in their loyalty to her and their willingness to lay down their lives if need be in her service.
Just like those in the American Secret Service will take a bullet for the President.  It doesn't matter whether they think he belongs in office or not.  As long as they are on the protection detail, they will protect him at all costs, to include their lives if necessary.  The CC apparently is thinking along those lines.  If it came to that, they would give their lives one by one to stop that menace.

QuoteAs to whether Malcolm has been Empowered, I'm not sure that he can be.  (I'm postulating that more than simple genetic relationship is involved with the passing on of the Haldane powers, and that when his ancestor Halbert was stripped of his inheritance and the throne passed to his younger brother, Halbert's ability to be potentialized was also magically stripped from him as well as from his future heirs. Malcolm and Aubrey are both powerful Deryni lords, but the power they wield is not derived from any sort of Haldane empowerment.)
Halbert? Who is Halbert?  Am I missing something here?  Where did he come from or is part of the genealogy that shows where the Atherton-Haldanes came from?  Speaking of genealogies, I'd like to see not only where the Atherton-Haldanes split off the main line, but when the Von Horthys married into it.
QuoteI also have a short Haldane genealogical chart for the last four (or so) generations of Haldanes, but it is more spoilerish, so I probably won't post the link to that until after I've posted certain chapters that it might be helpful for.
Are we there yet?  Are we there yet? .... Are we there yet?

Evie

Halbert was the Haldane prince and heir who thought his father was taking too long to get around to dying and staged a coup in an attempt to seize the throne two centuries prior to the events of this story. King Reginald suppressed the coup, but because despite everything he loved his rebellious son and couldn't bear to execute him for treason, he decided instead to disinherit Halbert and ship him and his supporters off to recently-discovered and very distant Camberia. This episode of Gwyneddan history is alluded to in an earlier chapter, in one of the scenes with Malcolm and Aubrey, who are descended from Halbert.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Marko on December 19, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

Speaking of genealogies, I'd like to see not only where the Atherton-Haldanes split off the main line, but when the Von Horthys married into it.
QuoteI also have a short Haldane genealogical chart for the last four (or so) generations of Haldanes, but it is more spoilerish, so I probably won't post the link to that until after I've posted certain chapters that it might be helpful for.
Are we there yet?  Are we there yet? .... Are we there yet?

LOL!  I too am looking forward to seeing that genealogy.  Love that stuff.  ;D

Quote from: Evie on December 18, 2015, 11:49:51 PM
LOL! I don't think the CC was ever seriously considering that challenge line-up as their only contingency plan in case Malcolm puts in an appearance. Their "queueing up" during the meeting was more along the lines of letting Sophia know that they were united in their loyalty to her and their willingness to lay down their lives if need be in her service. (Or, in Elspeth's case, even she is willing to offer up her life in order to keep an Atherton-Haldane off the throne of Gwynedd, even if she'd rather not have anyone on the throne at all, because at least she recognizes that if the monarchy is going to continue, Sophia is the heir she'd much rather have on the throne than Malcolm!) That certainly doesn't mean that's the only plan anyone is going to come up with.  Being willing to serve Sophia "in living and in dying" does not mean they've got a collective death wish!  ;D

Morgan is already a fully trained Deryni, having inherited Morgan and McLain genes as well as his Haldane bloodline and being well aware of his Deryni heritage since early childhood, so I'm not sure if Empowerment would give him any particular advantage at this point. 

Glad to know it was more of a support declaration than a true plan of action.  ;D No matter what, I want/NEED Morgan to survive this. ;D If it means ten Deryni against one malcontent all at once, instead of the honorable one-on-one, I am all for it. I do not doubt Morgan's training. But as we have learned in the past, no amount of training can beat an empowered Haldane. (Ex: Charissa vs Kelson, Sief vs Donal, Brion vs Hogan). So you understand my concern to be certain that Malcolm has not discovered how to turn on that part of his heritage. That his blood daughter could not, is in some respect a reassurance to that fact.

Quote from: drakensis on December 19, 2015, 02:02:57 AM

Hmm. That actually does suggest to me the question of what/if Nigel ever makes much use of his empowerment. It probably was never advertised it happened, so a rogue deryni might get a very nasty shock if he tries something in Carthmoor on the assumption that an 'old' human Haldane won't be able to stop him. (Nigel is only 43 as of 1130 which isn't young by medieval standards but he's likely still vigorous). I'll note that down in my story ideas folder.

Drakensis, I love the thought of that story,  please do tell.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Quote from: Demercia on December 19, 2015, 02:25:43 AM
I'm hoping that it wasn't me who started the "Diana is a menace", thread with my comment that the was someone in dramatis personae whom we hadn't yet met.  I was actually thinking of the unnamed Sophia look-a-like.  Or have I missed something?

Actually, I think it was me.  She has been so conveniently waiting in the wings, ready to make a walk-on with impact.  Kind of like the terror the trip to the Gold Lion drive thru inspired.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany