• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 105
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Fanfiction writing contest

Started by Laurna, December 02, 2015, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

A lady by the name Jessica from Fanfiction.net sent me an email about a fanfiction writing contest.
http://www.inkitt.com/fandom2 
It is for Novel length fan-fiction stories of all genres. Has anyone heard of Inkitt.com? Does this sound like a good or a bad idea? I am not interested in what they are offering for the winning stories, (they will help re-edit your story to make it original and publishable). I don't want to do that. But I was wondering if just getting more feedback or reviews would be worth it.
Any one else interested in doing this?
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I got an invitation too, and have been meaning to run it by KK to make sure she wouldn't mind me submitting a Deryni fanfic in the contest, given that unlike submissions made here or on FFN, there is the potential for receiving compensation for the work there (I think prizes would count as a form of compensation, and the offer to help rewrite a story as an original work is only one of the potential prizes, IIRC), so I wanted to be sure she wouldn't have a problem with that first. Never mind that anything entered in the Fanfic category will clearly be fanfic, so I don't think there's a chance of anyone mistaking it for the entrant's original story world. I'd just prefer to steer on the side of caution and see what KK thinks of it first.

That said, if she has no objection to the idea, I'd been thinking of submitting a story or two myself, since even the smaller prizes (Amazon gift cards, IIRC) would make it worth taking a shot at one. And as you say, there's the exposure, not just for the fanfic authors but also for the authors inspiring their work, since I would think someone who really enjoys reading fanfic in an unfamiliar story world would be drawn to check out the original author also. :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!