• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216
Sogou
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Chapter Thirteen

Started by Evie, October 07, 2015, 09:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

If Fr Devlin has spent the past decade with the youth of downtown Rhemuth, I am sure he knows much worse than that.  Not to mention that he presumably went to seminary!
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on October 10, 2015, 01:54:06 PM
And that would be why he gave the censored version. You'd prefer he gave her the original translation?  ;D

LOL, then I'd have to mess up my hair by putting on my mod hat and making you edit it out.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

bronwynevaine

I'm enjoying this very much. I'm not usually a fan of Kelson-era Gwynedd brought into the 21st century, but Evie does it well. Looking forward to more...
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Evie

Quote from: Demercia on October 10, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
If Fr Devlin has spent the past decade with the youth of downtown Rhemuth, I am sure he knows much worse than that.  Not to mention that he presumably went to seminary!

ROFL! Yes, both the streets of Rhemuth and those Gwyneddan seminaries are rough in their own ways.... ;)

Quote from: DesertRose on October 10, 2015, 04:07:39 PM
Quote from: Evie on October 10, 2015, 01:54:06 PM
And that would be why he gave the censored version. You'd prefer he gave her the original translation?  ;D

LOL, then I'd have to mess up my hair by putting on my mod hat and making you edit it out.  :)

Ah well, wouldn't want to make you mess up your hair!  ;D

Quote from: bronwynevaine on October 11, 2015, 03:39:56 PM
I'm enjoying this very much. I'm not usually a fan of Kelson-era Gwynedd brought into the 21st century, but Evie does it well. Looking forward to more...

Thank you! I wasn't sure if a whole new cast of characters would have much appeal for people used to KK's canonical characters, but I'm glad people have managed to warm up to my new Deryni in a completely different sort of time period from the usual.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Marko

Is there a backstory on how the Haldanes got Corwyn from the Morgans and the Von Horthys etc. marrying into the family?

Evie

Not one that is written. However, Morgan Haldane's great-grandmother was the last Morgan heiress, and she married the younger Haldane prince. It was stipulated in the betrothal agreement that all of their firstborn male descendants would bear the name "Morgan" either as a first or second name, so the current Duke of Corwyn is Morgan Alexander Haldane, his father was Anthony Morgan Haldane, etc.  Similarly, a Haldane King about four generations back married a Von Horthy princess, bringing fresh Deryni blood back into the royal bloodline after it had been absent for several generations, which is why that King (Alaric III) chose to emphasize the Von Horthy as well as the Haldane side of his children's lineage.

(And yes, before Laurna starts begging, you'll get to see the genealogical chart once the story is done! ;D )

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote(And yes, before Laurna starts begging, you'll get to see the genealogical chart once the story is done! ;D )

LOL  You read my mind!  ;D

I have been working out how to piece it together on my own. Thank you for more hints to the puzzle.  ;D
My current question is about the princess Adelia Haldane who married an Atherton-Haldane. Was she a sister to the younger prince that married into the Corwyn line or was she of a different generation? If she was of the next generation, I could see where Morgan Haldane might have the Atherton-Haldanes contending his right to the throne. However, from the ages given, I am guessing that Adelia is the same generation as Morgan's great grand father.

You don't have to tell me yet.  I will keep speculating.  This is fun!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Good deduction!  Adelia Haldane was of the same generation as the Haldane prince who married the Morgan heiress. And as to the Atherton-Haldane pretensions, it wouldn't matter which generation their mother was born in, really.  They're just a greedy, ambitious lot who believe they had a right to Gwyneddan rule due to their descent from King Reginald Haldane's firstborn son anyway, never mind that Prince Halbert was specifically disinherited for treason.  Adelia marrying into their line at a much later date merely cemented their ambitions.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

No telling when DH will decide to get on the road tonight for our four hour drive home, but since I don't want to still be up at midnight or 1:00 am trying to get the next chapter uploaded before a workday that I have to get up for at 6:15 am, you're getting Chapter Fourteen early tonight.  You're welcome.  Enjoy!

--WARNING!!!--