• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

DoctorM

May 13, 2024, 01:05:12 PM
Congratulations on graduation, Marc!
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,620
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 123
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78
Google (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 07:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Transplant list

Started by jemler (RIP), October 01, 2015, 06:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemler (RIP)

Hi folks,

On Wednesday, 30 September, I went to Pittsburgh to talk to a transplant surgeon.

Because I have a chronic bone infection, osteomyelitis, I will NOT be getting a transplant. Saves me from worrying about getting on the list. :(

On the other hand, there are a couple of events to look forward to.

They are experimenting with an implantable, mechanical kidney, which would not need anti-rejection drugs, or be susceptible to viral infection.  But it's still a few years from human testing.

They also recently grew a kidney and bladder in a rat, that started working right away. This is even farther from human testing, but it IS an option.

So, the light at the end of the tunnel is still there, but the tunnel is longer than I expected. :)

Evie

Those definitely sound like interesting options. Hopefully the right solution for your needs will come along soon.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

I'm sorry you're not going to be eligible for a transplant, but I'm glad you're keeping your options open and your spirits up.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

As ever I'm inspired by the way in which you remain so positive in the face of what are obvious multiple health issues.

Praying that there are workable ways forward in the near future.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Jemler, while you are focusing on the way forward. (Cool idea of a mechanical kidney.) Don't forget you have a lot of people at your side who want to toss a few fish of good-will into your lap. So, keep the punny puns coming and we will be sure the trebuchet's are loaded. I look forward to Sunday chat.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Jemler, I'm sorry you won't be getting a transplant, but am glad there are other options available for you and that you remain so positive.

I have a bucket of sunfish ready to loft your way whenever you need them.  All of us are on your side.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Sorry to hear the news about not getting a transplant in the near future, Jemler. Wishing for rapid progress in the research for the other two options, so that they'll be available as soon as possible. But the wait must feel very long....
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!