• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:39:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 153
Total: 154
Laurna
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

There's hope for us all!

Started by Aerlys, September 17, 2015, 12:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

Good day to you Aerlys.
That is funny, I never considered Rosencrans and Gidlenstern are Dead to be Fan fiction. I loved the film for its two actors. I wondered if the play was as good.

As a totally different aside.  I watched a documentary yesterday that I loved and I wanted to share it, but did not know a place on the board to put it. So I apologize for adding it to your thread of hope, but this made me feel good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMiK-TMyPI
The craft of bell-ringing in England. I learned something I had not known before.
Aerlys, do we do this in America? For some reason, I think of our bells as being electronic, instead of manual.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I don't think that it is general in America but I know that there are a few towers your side of the Atlantic that have a peel of bells for change ringing as it is called. The daughter of our Church Warden here rang as part of a band in a church in Washington D.C. over the summer.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

I will take a peek at that when I have time to watch the whole thing.

I do think some of the "fanfic" citied was kind of a stretch, though I guess in a broad sense any sort of spinoff could be considered fanfic.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

You've got me thinking...

What about West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet), Ten things I hate about you (Taming of the shrew), Clueless (Emma) - I suppose they would count as fan fiction.

And to be controversial - Philip Pullman self-confessedly wrote the His Dark Materials trilogy as a counter to C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories - a sort of back-handed fan-fiction maybe?

Btw good to hear from you Aerlys - hope all continues to go well. I light candles for you and yours from time to time.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Elkhound

"The Wide Sargasso Sea" was a fanfic off of "Jane Eyre", wasn't it?  And the Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries.  And Jill Patton Walsh's "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are definitely glorified fanfic; (and, IMNSHO, not that good fanfic either.)

revanne

Quote from: Elkhound on September 18, 2015, 07:28:01 AM
  And Jill Patton Walsh's "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are definitely glorified fanfic; (and, IMNSHO, not that good fanfic either.)

I think they are the difference between drinking freshly ground coffee and an instant blend.  Okay if you don't put them alongside the real thing.
(Psalm 46 v1)