• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Should we make Deryni Archives available as an online download?

Started by DesertRose, August 31, 2015, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see Deryni Archives as a downloadable PDF format, issued regularly (on a schedule yet to be determined)?

Yes, and I'd be willing to pay a small fee (perhaps $1) for issues.
Yes, but only if it were free.
No, I'll read the fanfiction and view the fan art online.
No, I don't read the fanfiction or view the fan art.
Other, which I will post in comments.

Elkhound

Quote from: drakensis on September 02, 2015, 03:05:02 AM
I suppose an alternative might be publishing through Kindle but I've no idea how that'd work.

Not all of us have Kindles.

DesertRose

I'd be in favour although probably it'd be best to leave it separate from the forums.

I suppose an alternative might be publishing through Kindle but I've no idea how that'd work.

You can read PDF files on a Kindle device or app, I believe, and we're looking at making the zine in probably PDF format.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on September 02, 2015, 08:40:36 AM
I'd be in favour although probably it'd be best to leave it separate from the forums.

You can read PDF files on a Kindle device or app, I believe, and we're looking at making the zine in probably PDF format.

Yes, while it is possible to save files in .mobi format to be read on a Kindle or one of the Kindle apps for phones, tablets, or PCs, those files would not be printable. (And as someone who has a Kindle, sometimes there can be issues with getting .mobi files onto a Kindle unless you download directly from Amazon, even if one has read the directions. I'm not sure how one would access the files if one only had a Kindle app on some other device.) The advantage to PDF is that people can choose to read the files on any device that can read that format (and nowadays that is nearly everything, including e-readers, although one might need to download one of the various PDF readers to do so on some devices, but those are normally free), and also can print the file or pages from it if they would prefer to read hardcopies offline, or collect them in a binder as Elkhound mentioned earlier. I would hate to have someone unable to access the stories just because they have the misfortune of owning a Nook e-reader rather than a Kindle, or to be stuck having to read them at a desktop computer because that's the only device they have that has a Kindle app on it.

The other advantage to converting to PDF is that the current versions of Word software will allow a straightforward conversion from .doc or .rtf to PDF, thus saving us the trouble of having to find something that will convert such files to Kindle's .mobi format.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

And there are some issues with Amazon U.K. - for instance I cannot access any of the Kindle editions of the Deryni series through Amazon U.K., neither will Amazon.com allow me to access them (it just tells me - use Amazon.co.uk and takes no notice whatsoever of my despairing cries). PDF would seem the best way forward to me although I am very aware that it will be a lot of work for Evie, Desert Rose and Julienne.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Downloadable PDF from the main forum web site is likely the easiest for the viewer; I use them all the time when reviewing dog show programs.  Going Amazon/ Kindle does offer a wider audience.

I am sure Bynw keeps the guest stats, but from my observations we only have a few dozen regulars/viewerees on this site daily. The forum currently has 586 members.  And I have seen between 36 and 55 individual IPS address visit the forum daily(that would be guests and members combined.) Now of those, I think about 24 are google search engines and what not, as there are always 24 hits at the midnight hour. That leaves about a dozen to two dozen true IPS address, of which a few may be duplicated by a single person using more than one device to view the forum throughout the day. I personally have two: my desktop and my laptop. So, regardless of how many hits a single topic may get these days (500-1500), I am not convinced that there are more than, say 50 true people who read those topics in the week. If half those people donate a dollar for the PDF. Would that be enough to make the project viable. Going with Kindle might up the viewership greatly, but then again it might not.
Also consider whether, for copyright purposes, a person should be a member of the site or if anyone can download it with the donation.

I am all for this project, I am just trying to see what will get you the best readership.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I know we have some folks who lurk and read but never post--I've met at least one and am Facebook friends with another--but I don't know how many of those lurkers we have out there, since they just lurk and don't speak up.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Chordata

Was there a most favorite edition of Deryni Archives ?  If so, why not just try posting that one via the forum to see what kind of response you receive both from registered regulars and lurkers (as one who is just stepping out of the lurking shadows  :)
Or is it too much work to set up that way to just do a trial run?

DesertRose

That's a good idea, Chordata.  I'd have to ask Julianne what was the best-selling issue (of the back issues), and see about that.

Thanks!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

lenni

I would LOVE to see electronic versions (PDFs or whatevers) of both the old Deryni Archive and new editions. I would certainly pitch in money for them. $1 is certainly affordable. I would suggest (as have others) that these be offered on the Web site.

Lenni

DesertRose

Like as not, future editions of DAtZ will be PDF downloads that will be available via the static site, and when an issue gets published, we will make an announcement here on the forum.  :)

We're working on it!

lenni

Although I'm late to this party (and a lurker), I'd LOVE to be able to get issues of "Deryni Archives" (new and old) electronically! I would certainly be willing to pay more than $1 for each issue. PDF works for me.

Lenni

JediMatt1000

I'd be happy to pay a small fee for this. I'd love to be able to receive The Deryni Archives electronically!
"Be the change you wish to see."

DerynifanK

I am all in favor of making the archives available and pdf is fine. I had asked some time ago about the possibility of making fanfic stories available in pdf so they could be downloaded. I realize that it requires permission of the authors but I thought it would have 2 advantages. One it would help insure that the stories don't disappear if there is a server problem (a fear of mine since I love them). Two it could be source of income that could be used to support server maintenance.  I have no problem with paying a small fee for the archive issues and perhaps more for any of the fanfic that might be made available in this format..
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

I'd love to see the Archives (old and new) available online. PDF is fine!

Kareina

I would pay for pdfs of the ones I didn't get in paper.  Heck, I might be willing to pay for pdfs, or better e-reader friendly format, of the full set, since these days I read more on screen than in paper.
--Kareina