• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,484
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

How's it goin'?

Started by Fukiyama, June 08, 2016, 01:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

Hi Fukiyama, welcome to the Forum!

I spent a lot of time in King Javan's Year hissing "Dammit LISTEN TO YOUR OLDER BROTHER, you little ****!" at Rhys Michael while I read the book.  His failure to watch, listen and think and trust his own brother and his marrying Michaela was a contributing factor in Javan's death. (And I cried when Javan died.)

However.....I went a long way to forgiving Rhys Michael in  The Bastard Prince. He had to learn a hard lesson through his own failure, but he DID learn it. He also showed his mettle as a Haldane by seizing the opportunity to find  help and earn loyalty when the opportunity came his way.  And in doing so, he freed Michaela and his sons from the Regents. He would have made a very decent King had he lived longer.  The hardest learned lessons are those that stick with us and shape our future behavior.  He'd probably still have made mistakes, but they would have been different ones. 

Melissa.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Lochiel

I always thought Javan's big mistake was going after the Ramos Statutes too quickly, and perhaps showing to much empathy for Oriel & his family (and Deryni in general).  Joram & the CC cautioned Javan not to do anything too drastic and sudden (like exterminating Rhun & the other regents) and I believe Javan got overconfident because he controlled Hubert.  Imo Javan would have become a great king, and Kelson compared very favorably to him.
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore