• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Balance of Power--Dramatis Personae

Started by Evie, August 02, 2015, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I don't normally create a Dramatis Personae for my stories, but since the upcoming one is set in 21st Century Gwynedd, with only occasional references back to KK's canonical characters and history, I have created one for this story.  It can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dpwoaZEyyohPeQ-Ypko3h6bMJL1hXzCY5owTv8r207A/edit?usp=sharing

I have tried to keep the character descriptions as spoiler free as possible, so have fun trying to figure out where they story is going from these brief descriptions. ;)  I also have a short Haldane genealogical chart for the last four (or so) generations of Haldanes, but it is more spoilerish, so I probably won't post the link to that until after I've posted certain chapters that it might be helpful for.

Many thanks to my beta-readers DesertRose and Revanne, who kept my facts and names consistent from chapter to chapter, kept me laughing, and kept me motivated to continue on when I had no idea where the story was headed next. Special thanks to DesertRose for allowing me to use Eirian House, which was created for her own 14th Century story-in-progress, and to revanne for her special insights on the life of a mission priest, appropriate forms of address for Gwyneddan royalty, and various and sundry other tidbits about modern Gwyneddan life (which is ever so very loosely modeled on the modern UK, except for some serious departures as the story required and/or as I thought Gwynedd might have alternatively evolved given the lack of some of the UK's real world historical events ever happening in Gwynedd). Any errors of usage are my own.

Story to come soon, not sure how often yet or what days, so just keep your eyes open for it.  It came out to a short prologue, 29 chapters, and a short epilogue, so maybe 29.5 chapters total.  I hope you enjoy it!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Yay! It's finally seeing the light of day here. Without issuing any spoilers whatsoever, this is a fantastic story which it has been my pleasure and privilege to watch grow. Enjoy!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

As you have been teasing me with glimpses and tiny tidbits about one Morgan Alexander Haldane for the past few months,  I can hardly wait to enter his world, discover who he really is, and all the people who live in his world around him.  I am looking forward to the opening of this tale. Huzza!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

I did a bit of date counting last night, trying to see what posting schedule would work best if I want to end up posting the final chapter close to the New Year holiday (since the story ends on New Year's Day) without actually landing on it (since a lot of people are too busy with parties and/or family plans to read on the actual Christmas and New Year holidays), so it looks like a schedule of approximately every five days, starting early next week, will work best for that. Of course I reserve the right to shift posting dates around a bit in case of conflicts with busy holidays and/or times I'm unlikely to be near a computer with wifi access (might have to do a slight shift in one direction or the other around the Dragon-Con/Labor Day weekend, for instance), but that's the tentative posting schedule for now.   :)

Currently working on adding in my formatting codes for italics and what-not to the manuscript itself, so on posting days I'll hopefully just have to copy/paste and not add all that in before hitting Preview (to make sure the coding is working right) and Post. I do a lot of italicized text, apparently . . . .   *sigh!*

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

I want to know where "Camberia" is.  Don't tell me---make me wait.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on August 03, 2015, 12:03:54 PM
I want to know where "Camberia" is.  Don't tell me---make me wait.

OK, I will.  ;)

The timestamps of the scenes set in Camberia should give a clue as to where that nation is in relation to Gwynedd, geographically speaking, although I should caution that Camberia is not meant to be analogous to any real world country or kingdom.  (When you read the story, you'll understand why I hasten to make that disclaimer, lest anyone coming from a country they might assume I'm basing it on happen to take offense!  ;D) Any superficial similarities between Camberia's origins and those of any real world locations are purely coincidental. The backstory behind Camberia's settlement was necessary for plot reasons, as will become more apparent as the story unfolds.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

"modern Gwyneddan life (which is ever so very loosely modeled on the modern UK, except for some serious departures as the story required and/or as I thought Gwynedd might have alternatively evolved given the lack of some of the UK's real world historical events ever happening in Gwynedd)."

Or, thankfully, the lack some of Gwynedd's historical events being replicated in the UK.  ::)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

I notice that the Furstan is a "Mr." not a Prince or even Lord.  Does that mean that Torenth is a Republic now?

Evie

It's a Federation now, and although Peter is of Furstan descent, it's very distant. He's only of "royal" blood in the same way that I am "royal" from having some sort of clan affiliation to the Stuarts of Bute.  That and a few dollars might buy me a latte, but won't gain me an invitation for tea at Buckingham Palace.  :D

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

I was at the cottage all weekend, and didn't see this until now.  It looks as though you have written an entire novel! Yippee! I am so looking forward to this.

*Jerusha dusts off her monitor, tidies up around the computer, puts on the kettle for tea, and sits down to wait for the first posting.  Patiently, almost....*
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Quote from: Jerusha on August 03, 2015, 07:49:09 PM
I was at the cottage all weekend, and didn't see this until now.  It looks as though you have written an entire novel! Yippee! I am so looking forward to this.

*Jerusha dusts off her monitor, tidies up around the computer, puts on the kettle for tea, and sits down to wait for the first posting.  Patiently, almost....*

I think I'm going to print it out and have it ring-bound at Kinko's.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on August 03, 2015, 07:57:31 PM
Quote from: Jerusha on August 03, 2015, 07:49:09 PM

I think I'm going to print it out and have it ring-bound at Kinko's.

It's going to be a pretty darn expensive novel if you do! I briefly considered doing that when I was about halfway through, because I thought having hard copies of my scenes might help me sort out what order might work best to put them in, but at that point I already had enough pages that it would have cost me around $30 to get hardcopies made at my local copy place (just for the printing out on paper from a USB drive alone!), so I gave up that idea. If you make a hard copy, I'd suggest using your own ream of paper and toner--that should hopefully cost a lot less!

--WARNING!!!--

LauraS

Have you looked into self-publishing it as an eBook? I don't know what the cost would be, if any depending on what service you use, and then it would be available for say Kindle readers.

Elkhound

Quote from: LauraS on August 04, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
Have you looked into self-publishing it as an eBook? I don't know what the cost would be, if any depending on what service you use, and then it would be available for say Kindle readers.

You'd need KK's permission for that, unless you can find a way to "scrape the serial numbers off."

Evie

No, I wouldn't be allowed to sell it from an ebook service since it is based on KK's copyrighted world, if not her characters (though it also makes fairly frequent references to some of her canonical characters as historical figures in this story's timeline). Even offering it as a free download from Amazon or one of the other ebook services might be legally problematic unless I had KK's express permission to do so. She is aware of the fanfic archives here and (I think) on Fanfiction.net and similar sites, but officially I think she mostly looks the other way, which would be harder to do if a Deryni book by a fan author were to suddenly become available for download from a more official ebook publisher and/or online store. If I were to change all the character names and enough of the other details to make it a stand-alone story that has no relationship to the Kingdom of Gwynedd and Deryni magic, I might be able to publish it for sale that way (it would take a fair bit of tweaking, but it could probably be done, since Modern Gwynedd is sufficiently different from KK's medieval version that with enough name changes and other slight altering of details, readers wouldn't automatically assume they're the same world). Though I'd be more likely to self-publish my own original novel-in-revision than try to reboot a fanfiction work, just to avoid any potential legal issues.

That said, I know that some of my stories that have been posted here have been downloaded to people's personal hard drives and then converted to Kindle (and perhaps other ebook?) format before, and I have no objection to anyone here doing that, as long as no one is attempting to pass it off as their own work, or worse, pass KK's world off as their own. It's certainly easier to carry a story around on a Kindle than on a desktop PC!

--WARNING!!!--