• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Camber the Heretic ebook not available...can i help???

Started by OldFan, April 02, 2015, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldFan

Hello,

I have been reading these since the early '70s. I have all of the books... well multiple times if the truth be known, 1st editions, reading copies and a paperback to take in the car. I am finally moving my library to epub format and I have a problem... I can't find a copy of Camber the heretic anywhere.

When they finally put me in the home I know they won't let me take my room full of several thousand books, so I want to start converting now since it will take me several years at a bare minimum.

I have purchased everything I can find in the US, but some of them have no official epub/ebook out there. Being a retired IT worker I can edit the html and fix up even a horrendous copy that has been scanned in, but I never really worked in html (yes I really am old) and am not up to doing it from scratch. I also have a real bug about copyrights and such.

In desperation, I did just finish editing a 'very bad' copy of "Saint Camber" into epub format, page by page against my 1st edition (only took a month or so).  (Would you like for me to give it to someone to sell for you?) I refuse to put it out on one of those sites that don't pay the author, but I am sure others are also frustrated by not being able to find these.

Is there some way to volunteer to edit the remaining books for you?  I am not fast, but when I re-read them I do it in order, so I will eventually make it through the whole series.

Sitting here with my reading copy, frustrated that I can't us my Nook.

DesertRose

This is a very cool idea, and I can forward it to KK.

Also, if you can come to chat on Sundays, you can ask her then.  This Sunday is early chat (5pm Eastern as opposed to the usual 7pm Eastern), but being Easter Sunday, I'm not sure how many people we'll have or if Katherine herself can make it.  She said last week she'd try but that sounds like she might not make it.  In any case, most Sundays are 7pm Eastern, and KK is there more often than not.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

I'd be glad to give Katherine a heads-up to check the forum for your question, or DesertRose can. What I can tell you is that her publisher has not yet released an e-book version of the Camber era books, although I think KK said in our Sunday chats fairly recently is that hopefully this is planned for the future.  Unfortunately I'm not sure how much leeway she actually has in self-publishing and selling her own copies of these books, as I think the rights to them are still retained by her publisher, so I'm not sure if she can legally do that. Though if I'm wrong, I'd certainly love to see these books in e-book form sooner, since her publishing house is certainly being slower than molasses in releasing them in electronic formats!  (I think there are plans to release them eventually in audio form as well, which I have very mixed feelings about, since I really dislike the present narrator and wish they'd go back to using the narrator they had for the Deryni Chronicles trilogy.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Oh, and in regards to chat on Easter Sunday, I think I remember KK saying she had some family plans earlier that day, but was still hoping to make it back in time for the early chat that afternoon. No ironclad promises, though, since...well...Easter.  :)

--WARNING!!!--

OldFan

I will try to make it to the chat this Sunday... but that is actually 4pm my time so I will probably still be doing the Easter thing (with my adorable 3 yr old twin grandsons, so it is hard to get away). Maybe the following week.

I appreciate your help with getting the info to Katherine, I was sort of hoping she could funnel things through her publisher if nothing else. I would say surely they would not refuse free labor, but knowing how things go they might.  I mean you would have to be crazy to do this just because you love these books...right?

I find it very odd that the newer novels come out as ebooks without a pause for thought, but the foundation material that makes them possible... somehow that is not on the list. 

I have the same issue with the Anne McCaffrey novels.  The UK does much better than the US, but Barnes and Noble won't let me buy the UK versions. And don't get me started on how many Marion Zimmer Bradley books are missing, and Tolken and Herbert and...and...and aw heck; I've gone and dragged out my soapbox now. :)

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.  Thanks for any help you can give.

DesertRose

Chat is early on the first Sunday of the month to allow the European/UK fans a chance to visit, since 7pm Eastern is midnight in the UK and later in most of Western Europe.

All other Sundays, it's 7pm Eastern.

You're welcome to show up any old time, and sometimes some of us are in the chat channel during the week, usually discussing our fanfiction stories.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

OldFan, in case you don't have private message notifications set up, please check your private message inbox. Response from Katherine forwarded.

--WARNING!!!--

janetaba

Quote from: OldFan on April 02, 2015, 12:28:47 PM

I have the same issue with the Anne McCaffrey novels.  The UK does much better than the US, but Barnes and Noble won't let me buy the UK versions. And don't get me started on how many Marion Zimmer Bradley books are missing, and Tolken and Herbert and...and...and aw heck; I've gone and dragged out my soapbox now. :)

I wonder if everyone will click on the link on Amazon's website that says that "I would like to read this in ebook format" if that would help convince them that there is a market out there for her earlier books.

DesertRose

Quote from: janetaba on June 10, 2015, 10:52:00 PM
I wonder if everyone will click on the link on Amazon's website that says that "I would like to read this in ebook format" if that would help convince them that there is a market out there for her earlier books.

There's a thought.  I didn't realize there was such a link.  Thank you!  :)