• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,566
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 08:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did the Haldanes stop using the Cambarian Council to complete the ritual?

Started by Laurna, September 02, 2021, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck

My understanding is that RR had access to KK's notes and materials when he was compiling the Codex, but that said it is difficult to say what in the Codex came from KK's notes and what came from RR. However, I think a lot of the Codex material came from RR.

I do remember Rob and Mary (RR's wife) saying that they had to be non-specific or vague about specific time periods and characters about which KK was likely to be writing about (this included the events of 948 and what happened to characters such as Joram and Dom Queron). 

I can also remember Mary telling me that they were uncertain about how much to say/reveal in the old alt.books.deryni newsgroup [we're talking mid 1990s here] in the time before the publication of the Codex. My first recollection of a post from RR in that forum was in response to a question about why Owain Haldane had apparently never had children and possibly hadn't married. RR had posted that he had married and had daughters. 

I also recall that RR was going to write a trilogy (i believe) in the deryni-verse based around the year 1025. He had written the manuscript for "The Dark Haired Man" which briefly covered the Killingford event from the Torenthi perspective. I was lucky enough to be able to read that manuscript when I visited Rob and Mary in California. This manuscript articulated a particular character's recollection of Killingsford after the event - the character in question (a distant Torenthi relative of Camber) is shell-shocked and doesn't really have a clue what happened except it was really, really bad, which possibly summarises the perspective of just about everyone who was there.  I only had one night to read it and stayed awake until about 3 am in order to finish it. This would have been just before 'Kelson gets lucky' was published.

Rob was also apparently going to write about the Mearan princesses ('L'Demosoilles Tre' or something like that) and my recollection is that there was a third book covering that period but I can't remember what Rob said it may have covered (maybe it covered that same time period from a Gwyneddi perspective).

Although that said, Rob did share one last surprise about the aftermath of Killingford however i won't reveal it here ... in the words of Shiral .... zzziipp!!!  But alas this nver eventuaded and others can perhaps explain why/

"The Dark Haired Man" manuscript was rewritten and published as part of Rob's 'Nuova Europa" universe. There are at least two other books set in that world "The Exiled Prince" and "Quaestiones" (which was also written for the deryni-verse)

This was a long time ago and I must claim that I can't recall more details!

Laurna

Wow!  Thank you Duck! So much to think about. (even professional writers like to toss their hand into the 11 kingdoms) Duck, We shall have to add you to the Zipper brothers and sisters family. ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

tmcd

"just before 'Kelson gets lucky' was published."

? Kelson has always been phenomenally lucky. One more bishop voting for the interdict and excommunication. Stefan being a deep mole. Falling down a cliff, down a stream, over a waterfall, into a cave, almost sealed from the outside world! I haven't the slightest clue what you might possibly mean.

Yours truly,

Wilfly d'Obtuse

drakensis