• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Sir Se

Started by Demercia, June 21, 2015, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

Does any one else think it plausible that it was Sir Se who shouted "sacerdos in aeternum" at Jorian's execution, and indeed who gave him the coup (I imagine that his heart was stopped by magic)?  Before I start off on a completely wrong track.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

I don't know.  I don't know if Se could have made his voice sound younger than it actually was by that point, and from Denis' description of the execution, I'm not sure anybody gave him the coup de grace.

You could, of course, write a story that way and just call it AU.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Demercia

Quote from: DesertRose on June 21, 2015, 04:06:30 PM
I don't know.  I don't know if Se could have made his voice sound younger than it actually was by that point, and from Denis' description of the execution, I'm not sure anybody gave him the coup de grace.

I was posting from memory, and I really mustn't distract myself over breakfast by going to look it up, but I think the CM version is slightly different from the one that Denis gives, and it is from the former that I got the idea that someone was able to help Jorian to die more quickly than he might otherwise of done.   Which doesn't detract from his courage or the horror one whit.

Laurna

Quote from: Demercia on June 22, 2015, 12:55:49 AM
Quote from: DesertRose on June 21, 2015, 04:06:30 PM

I was posting from memory, and I really mustn't distract myself over breakfast by going to look it up, but I think the CM version is slightly different from the one that Denis gives, and it is from the former that I got the idea that someone was able to help Jorian to die more quickly than he might otherwise of done.   Which doesn't detract from his courage or the horror one whit.

I agree with you Demercia. From Morgan's point of view, he felt magic power at that critical moment and he sensed Jorian had been giving the coup de grace. Alaric believed, as do I, that is was Sir Se who performed such magic. However, I do not believe that it was Sir Se who made the call or had the call yelled out by another.  I believe that call came from one of the lay brothers; one who was human, who followed his calling and was above the hatreds and greed that drove evil men.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Demercia

Hanging my head in shame, I have just reread my post: might of done.   Of course I typed "have" and some mischievous gremlin  changed it mid ether  ::)

cynicalmedic

My thoughts on the person shouting "Sacerdos in aternum" are probably wrong, but I think it might have been Cardiel. He would have been a young priest at the time, and his family had Deryni connections, since his older sister married Mikhail of Andelon. As one of many, it would have been easy to slink away and play dumb afterward.
No more turning away
From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be
No more turning away?
David Gilmour/Richard Wright/Nick Mason

revanne

I like the idea that it might have been Cardiel and it would certainty resonate with his later desire to be fair towards Deryni even before Denis Arilan's self-revelation. If Cardiel was present at Jorian's execution it would add a powerful emotional content into his anger with Duncan in QFSC - not only is he furious with Duncan for his thoughtless action, he is also afraid for him. After all at the point of Duncan's public display of his Deryni heritage the last priest publicly  revealed to be Deryni was Jorian.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

drakensis

It's certainly possible Cardiel could have been there. It'd be about a year after he came to Gwynedd and it's entirely possible he'd never seen someone burned at the stake.

Alaric was required to be there so it's plausible the Bishop of Coroth (on whose staff Cardiel was at the time) would have also been there.

HealingWaters

I believe that some one on the C.C. gave him the coupe though, he may have had ties in that reguard that we don't know about, like with Davin, when Camber/Alister gave him the coupe.

bronwynevaine

My impression is that Jorian's death was divine mercy. I always thought of Christ on the cross...into your hands I commend my spirit...and He died.
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)