• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,483
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Honey Cake

Started by DesertRose, June 13, 2015, 03:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

I am baking this today, although I am making it as cupcakes rather than one large round cake.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Honey Cake (for Midsummer)

Ingredients:
1 cup Butter
1 cup Honey
½ cup Dark Muscovado Sugar or dark brown sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
1¼ cup self-rising flour

Cut the butter into pieces and heat slowly, adding the honey and the sugar. When fully melted, turn up the heat and boil the mixture for one minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Add the beaten eggs to the cooled honey mixture. Sift the flour into a large bowl and beat the liquid honey mixture into it until you have a smooth batter.

Pour the mixture into a round lined springform pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325F for about 50 mins - or until the cake is well-risen and springs back to the touch.

Cool on a rack and glaze with a few tablespoons of warm honey.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Sounds good.  Could you fold chopped walnuts or almonds into the batter before baking?

Laurna

This sounds good enough to eat and with hope easy enough for me to cook, that is if I don't burn them.

I was just wondering what it would be like with  cornmeal instead of flour.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

You probably could fold in chopped nuts of some sort; almonds would probably go well.

I don't think cornmeal would work well in place of the flour.  It's a fairly dense, heavy cake, and cornmeal would probably mess with the texture.

If you do it as miniature cupcakes, the way I did, reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.

Also, the honey glaze on top is unnecessary.

Edited to add the "miniature" up there, because I didn't make them as full size cupcakes.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

I improvised a bit and put some chopped dates and walnuts in and baked it in a loaf tin. Scrumptilicious.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

I'll put some in the portal...
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)