• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,568
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110
Bing
Baidu (4)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 04:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Modern take on knighthood

Started by revanne, June 09, 2015, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Thought people might be interested in this modern take on Knighthood. Lenny Henry whose comments these are is an actor/entertainer who does a lot of charity work.

Dudley, where he comes from is a run-of-the-mill suburb of Birmingham (and no Evie we can't see the h from here so it's Birmingum).

He will be known as Sir Lenny - to a modern British ear Sir + informal name does not sound odd. Though it may be that the way we do things is so odd anyway that one more oddity escapes our notice.

Henry said: "I'm being pummelled from all sides by my family, saying, 'Do we get some land? Do we get a castle now? Do we get 100 men in plate armour following us around Dudley?'

"I'm very pleased. And my mum would have loved it.

"It is a wonderful thing and my family are really, really chuffed. My friends have not stopped ringing up and saying congratulations. It is an extraordinary thing and I'm very chuffed."

When we had a Sir somebody or other come to visit our local primary school the children felt very cheated that he didn't wear armour or ride a horse.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

It's really too bad he won't get 100 men in plate armor following him around Dudley, because that would make for some awesome photos! ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Demercia

::). Demercia tactfully points out to revanne that the inhabitants of Dudley would probably be less surprised to see the hundred men in armour than to be told they are in a suburb of Birmingham.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Laurna

Huzzah to Sir Lenny,
Does he at least get a sword of honor and horse to parade down main street. I would think that would be fitting.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)