• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 12:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gabrilite Habit

Started by Friarjohn00, June 02, 2015, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

I'd love to know as well. I got a response from Julianne some years ago re: how to make a story submission, but no replies to subsequent email since then.  :(
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

I purchased mine on Ebay. But I would have preferred to pay for them through the publisher, if they really have any back copies left.  I still need the last 4 or 5 issues.

I just read a fun story in volume 6, Windows on the Soul by Mary Frances Zambreno. Lovely story about Barrett de Lanney and the Healer's gift of  Alaric Morgan.

Evie, I am thinking the above cross needs to be a little straighter before it flares to meet the inner edge of the circle. I also like the small indent in the flare where the cross meets the circle like in the Michaeline cross. That way the the four small circles within the thick outer circle at the end of each cross arm would make it almost look like a floury cross.  Does that make since? I am not sure I could draw it. I would love to hear KK's response.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I purchased my copies of the Deryni Archives through Julianne, but it was several years ago.

It is interesting to read the older editions, and note how things changed over time.  The King's Justice was originally planned as The Return of the Queen.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Friarjohn00

Here is the iron on of the pattern I'm going to try. The fabric is flower sack and in going to use DMC for the first one. I'll switch to a hand dyed floss for a more formal or "period" one.

Evie

For some reason I can never see photo attachments in this forum, but I have no trouble viewing the photos that are linked to in the message body. I know others here are able to see attachments (or some others, anyway) since this has come up before. Is it a setting in my preferences that I need to change?

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on June 04, 2015, 01:03:58 PM
Ok, so now you have me playing in the Deryni Archives. I found what you are looking for and it was right before my eyes and did not see it the first few times I searched the issues over  ;D

But first let me  post the quote on the Order of St. Michael that went with the image I posted before.

QuoteDeryni Archives volume 3 page three excerpt
The Michaeline armorial bearings (Azure, a cross moline fitchy Argent, Issuing from a flame Gules fimbriated Or)

A Michaeline Knight is permitted to bear the full achievement of his order: i.e. a blazon on both front and back of his surcoat, the same on the shoulder and back of his mantle, the characteristic white belt signifying knighthood, and of course, the Michaeline charge on his shield.

The Michaeline priest is likewise entitled to the full achievement on his mantle but would wear a red cincture with fringed ends around the waist of his dark blue cassock. If, like Joram MacRorie, he is also a knight, he would most likely wear the white sash of Michaeline Knighthood with his cassock. When clad in monkish robes instead of cassock, he might wear a red cord-- or red and white intertwined if he happens to be both priest and knight.

A novice aspiring to the Michaeline Knighthood would wear the blue Michaeline surcoat over his armour, but instead of the inflamed cross he would bear the white cross only. This brazon would appear fore and aft on his surcoat, at the shoulder and back of his mantle, and upon his shield, in each case on the characteristic blue field. In place of the knightly white belt, he might wear a simple sword belt of black leather.

Lay brothers of the Michaeline Order would wear a monk's robe of Michaeline blue with Plain white cross, a yellow or gold waist cord and a plain blue mantle.

So I'm guessing that the Second Order Sisters wear a Michaeline Blue habit with a yellow cincture, a blue mantle if/when they go out, a wimple with a blue veil.  The wimple might be white or yellow.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 05, 2015, 07:12:50 AM
Quote from: Laurna on June 04, 2015, 01:03:58 PM
Ok, so now you have me playing in the Deryni Archives. I found what you are looking for and it was right before my eyes and did not see it the first few times I searched the issues over  ;D

But first let me  post the quote on the Order of St. Michael that went with the image I posted before.

QuoteDeryni Archives volume 3 page three excerpt
The Michaeline armorial bearings (Azure, a cross moline fitchy Argent, Issuing from a flame Gules fimbriated Or)

A Michaeline Knight is permitted to bear the full achievement of his order: i.e. a blazon on both front and back of his surcoat, the same on the shoulder and back of his mantle, the characteristic white belt signifying knighthood, and of course, the Michaeline charge on his shield.

The Michaeline priest is likewise entitled to the full achievement on his mantle but would wear a red cincture with fringed ends around the waist of his dark blue cassock. If, like Joram MacRorie, he is also a knight, he would most likely wear the white sash of Michaeline Knighthood with his cassock. When clad in monkish robes instead of cassock, he might wear a red cord-- or red and white intertwined if he happens to be both priest and knight.

A novice aspiring to the Michaeline Knighthood would wear the blue Michaeline surcoat over his armour, but instead of the inflamed cross he would bear the white cross only. This brazon would appear fore and aft on his surcoat, at the shoulder and back of his mantle, and upon his shield, in each case on the characteristic blue field. In place of the knightly white belt, he might wear a simple sword belt of black leather.

Lay brothers of the Michaeline Order would wear a monk's robe of Michaeline blue with Plain white cross, a yellow or gold waist cord and a plain blue mantle.

So I'm guessing that the Second Order Sisters wear a Michaeline Blue habit with a yellow cincture, a blue mantle if/when they go out, a wimple with a blue veil.  The wimple might be white or yellow.

That would be pretty. I wonder if there are Gabrilite nuns? We know from DM that there were female Healers and that most of them ended up using their gifts in convent infirmariums (infirmaria?), but would they have been attached to other monastic orders or would there also be the option of some sort of Gabrilite education and/or religious vocation for female Healers?

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 05, 2015, 08:27:44 AM

That would be pretty. I wonder if there are Gabrilite nuns? We know from DM that there were female Healers and that most of them ended up using their gifts in convent infirmariums (infirmaria?), but would they have been attached to other monastic orders or would there also be the option of some sort of Gabrilite education and/or religious vocation for female Healers?

There's not even a passing mention of a Gabrilite Sisterhood, but there must have been some provision for the training of women healers, especially the ones with a powerful Gift.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 05, 2015, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: Evie on June 05, 2015, 08:27:44 AM

There's not even a passing mention of a Gabrilite Sisterhood, but there must have been some provision for the training of women healers, especially the ones with a powerful Gift.

One would think, since the Healing gift was so rare even in the best of times that they would have wanted all potential Healers to be identified and properly trained, male or female. Maybe that's a question to bring up in chat this Sunday?

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Good morning Friarjohn00,  I think it would be a good idea to email KK with the questions you might want to ask about the Order of Gabrilites before chat on Sunday. Send the email to Evie or DesertRose, and ask either of them forward it to KK. In this way, our beloved author may have time to consider the answers. I too am interested in her thoughts, but I believe it may take some time to put the answer together properly.

Another question would be if Michaeline blue differs from that of the Gabrilite blue?  I was surprised that the cross for the Gabrilite's was blue and not green, as the hand of the healer is green.

Laurna

Friarjohn00,  can you please post your embroidery again. I am not able to see the attachment.

I did a rough computer drawing of what I was thinking about and I will post it here.

Is this close to what you were thinking?

Evie

If it's "Azure, an equal-armed cross fitchy Argent", that would be a white (or silver) equal-armed fitchy cross on a blue background.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on June 05, 2015, 04:23:41 PM
If it's "Azure, an equal-armed cross fitchy Argent", that would be a white (or silver) equal-armed fitchy cross on a blue background.

I miss read it, thank you. I was thinking that if the Habit was all white then the cross was blue, Like our RedCross in modern day is red on white.  My missed perception. The question then is- where is the edge of the blue badge?  Is there really a separate circle that is Argent around the cross with more blue beyond the circle, or is the outer margin of the badge just circular shape with the blue background? After seeing the artist rendition that I posted above, I was thinking that the circle had the same thickness as the cross and was separate from the background. But perhaps it is more like your image, instead.  I will play with it tonight when I get home and correct the colors.

Evie

Badges are usually circular, so "Azure, an equal-armed cross fitchy Argent" would be translated as "On a blue background (the background color is normally described first), an equal-armed cross fitchy that is white (or silver)." There would not be a border around it unless that was described in the heraldic blazon. Not sure what the exact order of such a description might be, but possibly something like "Within a bordure [color], azure, an equal-armed cross fitchy argent."  Since the blazon in the RPG does not mention a bordure, there probably isn't one. So you'd have a round blue badge with a white equal-armed cross fitchy on it, and that badge would be sewn onto the white habit. In the artistic depiction you posted, I think the row of circles was meant as an artistic motif with the Gabrilite and Healer's badges interspersed within the round "frames," but those borders are not actually part of either badge's heraldic blazon.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on June 05, 2015, 12:26:45 PM

Another question would be if Michaeline blue differs from that of the Gabrilite blue?  I was surprised that the cross for the Gabrilite's was blue and not green, as the hand of the healer is green.

I didn't see this earlier. KK showed me the color she considers to be Michaeline blue once, and it is a shade of blue that is just a tad lighter than navy blue. I think she called it soldier blue, although a search for the key words "soldier blue color" (don't just search "Soldier Blue" or you get lots of photos of a movie poster featuring a mostly naked Native American!) is kind of all over the place in terms of colors that come up in Google Images. The color she described comes probably closest to what I would call Doctor Who's TARDIS Blue.

Green is a color associated with healing and, in this case, Healers, but remember that not all Healers were associated with the Gabrilite Order, and there might have been other reasons to make a clear distinction between a badge related to Gabrilites and a badge related to Healers, even though there would certainly have been people qualified to wear both badges. Also notice that the secularnHealer's badge is the same as the Gabrilite Order's Healer's badge except with the colors reversed.  I took a photo of one that I think KK embroidered and shrank the image down to fit in a jewelry finding for Mini-Rhys's Healer badge cloak clasp.

--WARNING!!!--