• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,566
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 146
Total: 147
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 09:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gabrilite Habit

Started by Friarjohn00, June 02, 2015, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friarjohn00

Hi, this is my first post and I'm turning to you all for info and advice.
I'm trying to put together a Gabrilite Habit for a convention and I am at a bit of a lose end. The description of it at the end of Deryni Magic is a white cassoc with cowl and hood, and a white mantel. I seem to remember a different description in the old RPG, but my copy is currently missing, and I could be wrong. Am I?

Mostly, though, I have been wrestling with the Badge: it is a cross with "flared ends" in a circle. Thats a great description, but which one? I can think of at least 3 cross patterns with flared ends. I am thinking of a Cross Clechy or Formy, chiefly because I can do them at my level of embroidery  :).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Evie

Welcome! I am not at home right now, but I have a copy of the RPG, so I'll see if there's a better description in that when I get home. My guess is that KK is referring to a cross formy, but if you are able to get to the Sunday chats, you could ask her yourself. Most Sundays we meet with Katherine in our forum's chatroom at 7 PM US Eastern Time (whatever that translates to where you live), but on the first Sundays of each month (including the upcoming one) we meet two hours earlier so our UK members can participate without having to stay up until 1 AM or later. The RPG may have a picture of a Gabrilite; if so, I'll look to see what sort of cross is used.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

I have no good information, but I would love to see the finished habit, if you are willing to share photos of it once you have it done!  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

OK, I'm home. Summarized from the Deryni Adventure Game book:

Device: Azure, an equal-armed cross fitchy Argent.
Healer's Badge: Couped right hand Vert pierced in the palm with a white star of eight points. (The secular Healer's Badge is the same but with those colors reversed.)

Cowled white robe, a white cincture, and a white mantle. No tonsure, but the four-strand braid.

--WARNING!!!--

Friarjohn00

Thank you, both for the greeting, but also the input!
The cross seems odd though. I think that Formy is more correct, Fitchy looks more Micheline.
I shall join the chat on Sunday, probably late. I have questions about liturgy and the Rules used by the communities as well. Thank you again, and as soon as I am done I shall post pics.

Evie

I think the cross fitchy is used for both, but the Michaeline one has a flame behind it, if I'm remembering it correctly, and also the cross fitchy in the Michaeline device doesn't have arms of equal length like the Gabrilite cross does. The bottom part of the cross ends with a sort of point--I forget the heraldic term for that, but it's emblazoned in the RPG book. I can look that one up for you too when I get home.  The Michaeline badge is pictured but not the Gabrilite one.

We'll be glad to have you at chat!  Fortunately the early chats (such as we're having this Sunday) tend to run a bit longer than the regular chats, because KK can usually stay online longer for those, so even if you arrive late, hopefully you can get your questions in before she has to leave. Or at any time you can feel free to send your questions via Private Message to me or to DesertRose and we'd be glad to ask them for you even if you aren't able to attend the chat yourself. (Whenever KK shows up at chat, those chat logs end up archived in our Chat Archives section, so there will be a record of her answers there.) But I hope you are able to be there. KK doesn't get to the Forum board very often, but she enjoys meeting newcomers in the chatroom.  :)

I would love to see photos of the costume!  I did a Servant of Saint Camber habit a few years back--all linen, hand-sewn, LOTS of work but it was worth it, if a little too warm to be wearing to DragonCon in Hotlanta in August/early September.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

I went through the Deryni Archives looking for the Gabrilite heraldry.  I was not able to find that, but I did find the Order of St Michael Heraldry. There is a full page dedicated to the Order of Saint Michael in Volume 3 written by KK and Michael C Mahaney. I am copying here the image from the bottom of the page. I hope this helps with your Gabrilite habit

This image is from the Deryni Archives Volume 3 page three.

May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on June 03, 2015, 03:29:03 PM
I went through the Deryni Archives looking for the Gabrilite heraldry.  I was not able to find that, but I did find the Order of St Michael Heraldry. There is a full page dedicated to the Order of Saint Michael in Volume 3 written by KK and Michael C Mahaney. I am copying here the image from the bottom of the page. I hope this helps with your Gabrilite habit

This image is from the Deryni Archives Volume 3 page three.

There is also a Sisterhood of the Second Order of St. Michael.  What is their habit like?

Evie

QuoteThere is also a Sisterhood of the Second Order of St. Michael.  What is their habit like?

There is? I don't recall that at all; I guess it's time for me to reread those Camber era books!  (Not that I need extra encouragement; it's more a matter of lack of time, plus not having them in an easily portable format yet. I don't count hardcover books as easily portable.)

--WARNING!!!--

Friarjohn00

I had thought that the badges would be on the cowl, not the mantel since that could be removed indoors/in a House of the Order. IRW, most orders don't put badges on the habits, per se, so this is a more theoretical discussion than it may appear.

Laurna

Ok, so now you have me playing in the Deryni Archives. I found what you are looking for and it was right before my eyes and did not see it the first few times I searched the issues over  ;D

But first let me  post the quote on the Order of St. Michael that went with the image I posted before.

QuoteDeryni Archives volume 3 page three excerpt
The Michaeline armorial bearings (Azure, a cross moline fitchy Argent, Issuing from a flame Gules fimbriated Or)

A Michaeline Knight is permitted to bear the full achievement of his order: i.e. a blazon on both front and back of his surcoat, the same on the shoulder and back of his mantle, the characteristic white belt signifying knighthood, and of course, the Michaeline charge on his shield.

The Michaeline priest is likewise entitled to the full achievement on his mantle but would wear a red cincture with fringed ends around the waist of his dark blue cassock. If, like Joram MacRorie, he is also a knight, he would most likely wear the white sash of Michaeline Knighthood with his cassock. When clad in monkish robes instead of cassock, he might wear a red cord-- or red and white intertwined if he happens to be both priest and knight.

A novice aspiring to the Michaeline Knighthood would wear the blue Michaeline surcoat over his armour, but instead of the inflamed cross he would bear the white cross only. This brazon would appear fore and aft on his surcoat, at the shoulder and back of his mantle, and upon his shield, in each case on the characteristic blue field. In place of the knightly white belt, he might wear a simple sword belt of black leather.

Lay brothers of the Michaeline Order would wear a monk's robe of Michaeline blue with Plain white cross, a yellow or gold waist cord and a plain blue mantle.

Now, as to my find on the Order of Gabrilites-

The artist is Thomas Dietz. There is no words with this image. It is a portion of the image on the cover of Deryni Archives Volume 5. In my mind this is the choir at the Gabrilite Cathedral.

Quote from: Evie on June 02, 2015, 09:40:38 PM

Healer's Badge: Couped right hand Vert pierced in the palm with a white star of eight points. (The secular Healer's Badge is the same but with those colors reversed.)

Cowled white robe, a white cincture, and a white mantle. No tonsure, but the four-strand braid.

With the description of the device Evie has given, I think the crosses would be improved if they had flared ends.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on June 04, 2015, 01:03:58 PM

Quote from: Evie on June 02, 2015, 09:40:38 PM

With the description of the device Evie has given, I think the crosses would be improved if they had flared ends. I think "Fitchy"-ends would be nice to see within the circle.

An equal armed cross fitchy would essentially look like a cross pattee alisee (or cross alisee pattee, depending on who you ask):

(Ignore the bordered edge)

Or at least I really can't see much of a difference, unless a cross fitchy's arms are a bit straighter before the flare. I will confess to being extremely partial to that charge, btw, since that's the main charge on my SCA device. :D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

No Second Order Sisters appear in the books.  In one of the short stories, Joram mentions them, describing them as 'rare' and 'frightening'. (Why the latter, I'm not sure.)

Perhaps if there is ever a "Deryni Tales II", someone might write some more about them.

Evie

QuoteAn equal armed cross fitchy would essentially look like a cross pattee alisee (or cross alisee pattee, depending on who you ask):

Oops, I meant to say it would essentially look like that if drawn inside a circle like the ones in the illustration Laurna posted. But otherwise I imagine the ends would be straight.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Does any one know where it is possible to get back copies of the Deryni Archives - I emailed the link a couple of years ago but got no reply. It may be even if they're available it wouldn't be possible to ship them to the UK but I'd like to give it a go.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)