• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,566
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110
Sogou
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 03:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Think Ursula LeGuin ever regretted her short-sighted bashing of KK 42 years ago?

Started by macsorcery, May 26, 2015, 01:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HealingWaters

I know this is a little off topic but I never did read Tolkin for the very reason that Ursula gave, language.  If it doesn't capture my attention with the first couple of pages then it's bye bye book.  I know the old saying never judge a book by it's cover but we all do to some degree,because if the title or the cover art doesn't appeal then we just don't pick that book to read.

What Ursula did with Nigel and Morgan I though was appropriate, as yes they are political charictures in a polical setting but it is thier setting and not ours,even thouogh there are many parrells.  As for anything she has written never heard of her untill this. ???

tenworld

I gave up on ULG because her novels seem to always be incomplete.  There is a difference between leaving hooks for the
future vs ending a story telling before the story is done.

Evie, I like your veneer description for Star Wars etc.  while I completely enjoy them (with some Jarjaring exeptions) I don't consider them truly SF.

Evie

Quote from: tenworld on August 04, 2015, 10:12:31 AM
Evie, I like your veneer description for Star Wars etc.  while I completely enjoy them (with some Jarjaring exeptions) I don't consider them truly SF.

Yes, "space opera" (aka space fantasy) feels like a different category altogether for me. I tend to love space opera stories, but only get into "hard SF" (i.e. tech and/or hard sciences based futuristic stories) if they also have compelling characterization rather than just a tech- or action-driven plot.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Marko

Never read any of Ursula LeGuin's books.  Only saw the Earthsea series on SciFi several years ago.  Katherine Kurtz's books, however, I've read all of the Deryni works with the exception of the latest one more times than I can count.  Started with Camber of Culdi back in 1983 and have been a fan ever since. 

Elkhound

The Earthsea version on SF is so bad that LeGuin herself disclaimed it.   

tenworld

I agree.  Earthsea is a good reason to like that KK has held onto control even tho that may have kept a movie/series from happening.

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on September 10, 2015, 10:21:06 AM
I agree.  Earthsea is a good reason to like that KK has held onto control even tho that may have kept a movie/series from happening.

Yes.  It wouldn't surprise me that asking for some retained measure of control has been one factor holding it up.