• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 378
Total: 379
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ubi sunt omnes?

Started by Elkhound, May 13, 2015, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on May 14, 2015, 11:22:40 AMHook-and-eye tape is getting harder to find than it used to be, I swear.  I was looking for some a few years ago and could NOT put my hands on any anywhere.  The closest thing I could find was bra-band extenders.

I'm told that many sewing supplies are harder to find, as fewer and fewer people sew.  At one time almost all girls, and not a few boys, learned how to sew in school.  (My grandmother's brother went to Normal School, and he had to learn how to sew, knit and embroider so he could teach it; he nearly flunked out for that reason--the embroidery especially.)

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on May 14, 2015, 12:13:41 PM
I'm told that many sewing supplies are harder to find, as fewer and fewer people sew.  At one time almost all girls, and not a few boys, learned how to sew in school.  (My grandmother's brother went to Normal School, and he had to learn how to sew, knit and embroider so he could teach it; he nearly flunked out for that reason--the embroidery especially.)

Yes, a lot of sewing things are getting more difficult.  It's not a popular craft activity right now, and some of the supplies that used to be inexpensive have gotten hideously expensive, and others you have to find online because you can't lay hands on them in a brick-and-mortar store.  Grr.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Quote from: DesertRose on May 14, 2015, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on May 14, 2015, 12:13:41 PM

Yes, a lot of sewing things are getting more difficult.  It's not a popular craft activity right now, and some of the supplies that used to be inexpensive have gotten hideously expensive, and others you have to find online because you can't lay hands on them in a brick-and-mortar store.  Grr.

Agreed.  I bought some hook and eye tape to put in my stash for the future at amazon this morning, but it will take three weeks to arrive. So my lunch hour at work will be devoted to hand-sewing the itty-bitty hooks and eyes onto the closure. Just have to remember to take my sewing glasses to work. because at this crazy lady stage of life I need those things to do any close up work.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Aerlys

Adsum!

So much to catch up on now! I've been running here and there and trying to maintain my sanity through yet another barrage. (Our house is located near the bottom of a large hill, and I am beginning to think that we are the target of all the you-know-what that rolls downhill. Certainly would explain things.) Last minute fundraiser for school, doc appts, etc. And generally trying to stay distracted from thinking about a situation I can do nothing about at this time.

Congrats on the new arrival. What a joy!

I'm hoping that when I reach "that certain age" I might actually regain some sanity.

One reason I don't sew, besides the lack of talent and patience, is the expense. I'd rather bargain hunt and I rarely need specialty clothing.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

"That certain age" does not bestow sanity (at least not in my life) - but it does begin to remind you of the things that are truly important, and the things you can set aside.

And being the crotchety old lady does give one a certain freedom of opinion.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

Then the world is in trouble. I'm pretty crazy now!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Shiral

Jolyon finally talked! And once he got started, I couldn't stop him.  Seems he had quite a low opinion of Caitrin. But the story has been added to the Epistolary Novel thread on the Fan Fiction board.

MElissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Love it!

QuoteLegend has it that a Laasii chieftain once lost both his arms in one of their endless battles against the Dornantes tribe. But even literally unarmed, he still hopped after his opponent on one foot and kicked him from behind with his other until the man finished him off out of pure irritation.

LOL! " 'Tis but a flesh wound...."   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

revanne

Submerged under preparations for our Church summer fair and also the 350th  anniversary of our local church school.

Also don't laugh but the temperatures have hit the high 80's and so in true British fashion we're all complaining about the heat and feeling washed out.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

Quote from: revanne on July 01, 2015, 03:20:34 PMAlso don't laugh but the temperatures have hit the high 80's and so in true British fashion we're all complaining about the heat and feeling washed out.

High 80's in mid-June in most of the US is 'a cool day'.  But most of the US is a bit south of you.

Demercia

I am reminded of a passage in a novel where someone is trying to describe Holy Island (Lindisfarne) to an American,  and says "it is a small windswept island in the North Sea", and she thinks, but doesn't say: " isn't that a description of Britain?"   ;D
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Elkhound

Quote from: Demercia on July 02, 2015, 08:52:15 AM
I am reminded of a passage in a novel where someone is trying to describe Holy Island (Lindisfarne) to an American,  and says "it is a small windswept island in the North Sea", and she thinks, but doesn't say: " isn't that a description of Britain?"   ;D

ROTFL!