• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tales from the Medical Transcription Queue

Started by DesertRose, April 27, 2015, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

So normally my job as a medical transcriptionist is...well...routine.  I do a lot of repetitive tasks (which I find rather soothing) in the course of a day's work.

Today, I was transcribing for the doctor for whom I work most of the time, and I run up against a 10-second dictation, which is phenomenally short.  (Like, usually, if one of his dictations is under 45 seconds, it's usually because he accidentally cut off the Dictaphone before he meant to.)

So I download the audio file, get his template ready to be typed into, prepare for "This patient's name is..." and hit the play button on my foot pedal...

...only to hear a male voice (not the doctor's) sing, very loudly, "I like big butts and I cannot lie.  My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun! Dr. (the usual dictator's surname) has a big butt."

After I was able to stop laughing (which took a good little while), I asked my contact at the dictation company just what in the merry hell I was supposed to do with this audio file (I believe I said something along the lines of "Someone in the office appears to have played a practical joke on Dr. Surname because I have a 10-second dictation full of pop song lyrics."), because I clearly cannot transcribe "Baby Got Back" along with a mild insult into the template.  My contact told me to suspend the job (code for "Put it where an admin can deal with it") and march on.

So I'm marching on in the next dictation in the job queue when my contact IMs me back and said, "Thanks.  That was funny.  I needed the laugh."

As I said, most of the time, my job is very routine.  Today was NOT:D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Sounds as though someone somewhere was a bit bored but managed to brighten up a few folks days  ;D
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

My suspicion is that it was one of the office staff being silly, but it was entirely too funny.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Probably a good thing you work from home, rather than having to explain the laughter to an entire office.  Sometimes it just can't be suppressed.  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

True, Jerusha, because I about fell out of my desk chair laughing.  :)