• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153
Google (2)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Green Tower; Lewys ap Norfal

Started by katrinque, April 18, 2015, 04:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katrinque

The spell that Lewys performed that went terribly wrong and that we were supposed to have figured out.  I didn't.  What spell did he attempt?

Bynw

That is one of the great questions of all time when it comes to the Deryni. We still don't know ...
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

revanne

As they say on children's TV over here - "Don't try this at home."
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Lewys ap Norfal, patron saint of "What could possibly go wrong?"   ;D

(OK, so maybe he's not a saint, exactly, but in a sense once might say he did ascend into heaven.... )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

It always seemed to me that everyone thought he was attempting something so powerful it was beyond anyone's grasp. and when he "Disappeared" the CC threatened to kill his 12 year old daughter and even younger son for fear they would follow in their father's footsteps. That is why Sief married Jessamy at such a young age. Not to protect her but to control her. If you discover the answer, then understanding of the situation might come to all of us, but as I see it, the CC becomes too controlling over this point.

My personal thought is that Lewys ap Norfal did not die when he disappeared,  but went forward in time. I think we will see him appear in the modern age.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Not only too controlling, but lacking in both imagination and compassion.  Some kindness and decency shown to Jessamy by members of the Council at that point would ultimately have won her loyalty better, and served the Council's interests better in the long run. She was a pre-teen girl who had just been deprived of her father and was treated with coldness and suspicion. Not to mention the assumption that she, the adolescent girl had both the ability and the desire to share her adult father's fate if left to her own resources, when he had failed spectacularly and lost his life in the process.  No wonder Jessamy was so grateful to Princess Dulchesse for showing her some kindness and affection, instead!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Jerusha

I always wondered why, after ap Norfal failed in this "spectacular" experiment, the Council thought Jessamy was such a threat.  Surely "don't you try such a thing and meet the same fate" might have been enough.  Then foster her to someone who could monitor her training, rather than marry her out of hand to an older man.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

And yet they trusted her brother. I really never got that whole thing, either.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on April 18, 2015, 05:57:55 PM

My personal thought is that Lewys ap Norfal did not die when he disappeared,  but went forward in time. I think we will see him appear in the modern age.

I like the way you think. I think the  same thing too. He didn't die that day. Disappeared certainly. Ended up in the past or future, or even an alternate timeline for that matter. Anyone of them is possible.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Aerlys

I agree. Opens up soooooo many interesting possibilities!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

I thought about him going into the past too. That would be a great way for KK to tell a story about the Airsid as seen from a 1100 character's point of view.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

I would love to know more about the Airsid, there are a few tantalising clues suggesting that Evaine and Camber were researching that era - one of the many areas of knowledge lost in the struggle to survive in post-restoration Gwynedd.

Maybe that now Sheele is back in the hands of Evaine and Rhys' descendents, thanks to Desert Rose, some more information might surface.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

KK has certainly left us with nearly as many mysteries as she has given us answers. Fuel for the imagination!

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on April 18, 2015, 05:37:49 PM
Lewys ap Norfal, patron saint of "What could possibly go wrong?"   ;D

(OK, so maybe he's not a saint, exactly, but in a sense once might say he did ascend into heaven.... )

Perhaps "poster boy" might be a better word?

Lochiel

While I tend to believe he was trying to move forward or backward in time, another line of speculation would be moving to another dimension or alternative world. 
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore