• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,567
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 132
Total: 133
Bynw
Google
Bing (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 11:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Commas can seriously affect your soul.

Started by revanne, April 18, 2015, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

I don't get commas. Evie graciously puts them in for me - and takes them out when I've decided they'd make the sentence look pretty.

What I hadn't got was how vital they were to the state of my soul (+Duncanus cover your eyes). So I inadvertently told Evie that I believed in eternal life but didn't have to like it. *rolls eyes and blushes*
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Duncan McLain

Laurna

QuoteI don't get commas. Evie graciously puts them in for me - and takes them out when I've decided they'd make the sentence look pretty.

Yes! I know exactly what you mean! I have been trying for three years now to master the comma, but I can only say that I have gone from street urchin to first year apprentice when it comes to grammar and commas in particular. At least I can say, thanks to Evie, that I am no longer sitting on the curb.  :D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

LOL!  I told Revanne that commas were very important and could even save lives.  There is a world of difference between "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!"   ;D

Although in the instance you refer to, the error was actually not in the missing comma but in me being too sleepy to catch the entire context of the latter half of the sentence.  Out of context, it seemed to be saying something completely different from what I knew you intended, although the problem was much more in my perception rather than your communication.  This time.  I do reserve the right to cackle with wild abandon at it anyway, as well as any future communication mishaps due to misplaced commas, typos, and other gaffes that bring joy to the lives of English majors with warped senses of humor.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on April 18, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
QuoteI don't get commas. Evie graciously puts them in for me - and takes them out when I've decided they'd make the sentence look pretty.

Yes! I know exactly what you mean! I have been trying for three years now to master the comma, but I can only say that I have gone from street urchin to first year apprentice when it comes to grammar and commas in particular. At least I can say, thanks to Evie, that I am no longer sitting on the curb.  :D

I noticed significantly fewer errors when editing your second story, so I think at least some of the lessons have begun to stick. I do seem to have more gray hair than I had three years ago, though, but that might also be the result of raising teens.  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Duncan McLain

Quote from: Evie on April 18, 2015, 12:32:52 PM
I do seem to have more gray hair than I had three years ago, though, but that might also be the result of raising teens.  ;)

Could be. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with all those Deryni voices you keep hearing in your head. Nothing at all.

Evie

Quote from: Duncan McLain on April 18, 2015, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: Evie on April 18, 2015, 12:32:52 PM
I do seem to have more gray hair than I had three years ago, though, but that might also be the result of raising teens.  ;)

Could be. I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with all those Deryni voices you keep hearing in your head. Nothing at all.

Well, yeah, there is that too.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

**Sigh of Relief**  Then can I claim innocence to causing grey hairs? At least most of the gray hairs? I can send you a case of hair dye if need be.  :P

Elkhound

What is the difference between a cat and a comma? 

The latter is a pause at the end of a clause; the former has claws at the ends of its paws.

[rimshot]

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on April 24, 2015, 08:54:09 AM
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? 

The latter is a pause at the end of a clause; the former has claws at the ends of its paws.

[rimshot]

;D

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

one of our cats doesn't know when to retract his claws. I can sympathise, I don't know when to pause my clause.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

;D Cute

I do wish my Kitty would learn to Pause her Claws, greeting me with only soft Paws, so that I would no longer have to elicit an objectionable Clause.

Aerlys

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Who ever thought clubbing baby seals could be so cute?  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Or that they'd have such wicked sexy dance moves?  ;D

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!