• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Campaign for the canonisation of Jorian

Started by revanne, March 09, 2015, 04:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Thinking about Duncan's Ordination as I am at the moment - (intending to post Maundy Thursday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. There I've given myself a deadline!) it more and more occurs to me how pivotal Jorian's self-sacrifice was. it seems relatively easy to be canonised in the Church of Gwynedd so am hereby starting a campaign for the elevation of St. Jorian the Martyr to the Altars.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Hm...does TKD or the Codex mention the date of Jorian's execution?  I'm wondering if the dates would work for inserting a mention of "St. Jorian's Day" into my future-era Deryni story.

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

It's in the "Priesting of Arilan" as Martinmas, which is November 11th. Perhaps he could be celebrated on the day of his priesting which was about three months before (but would have to check out whether an actual date was given) - as the unknown voice shouts out, he was actually validly ordained.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

I absolutely endorse the idea!  (Not that I've ever had any influence on sainthood.  :) )

Seriously though, I can't imagine the torment he went through - resolute in his faith, but facing an excruciating trial.   He endured with grace.   
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

I second...er...third the motion. Maybe someone can work in a few miracles worked by St. Jorian into their fanfic.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I imagine St. Jorian would be the patron saint of Deryni priests, wouldn't he?  That seems like it would be a given.

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Quote from: Evie on March 10, 2015, 01:27:32 PM
I imagine St. Jorian would be the patron saint of Deryni priests, wouldn't he?  That seems like it would be a given.

Darn all y'all for giving me more ideas for the stalled 1366 story.  :D

But yes, it does seem reasonable for him to be canonized as a martyr and to be the patron saint of Deryni priests.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on March 10, 2015, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: Evie on March 10, 2015, 01:27:32 PM

Darn all y'all for giving me more ideas for the stalled 1366 story.  :D

But yes, it does seem reasonable for him to be canonized as a martyr and to be the patron saint of Deryni priests.

Anything to help, DR.  ;)

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: Aerlys on March 10, 2015, 12:20:10 PM
I second...er...third the motion. Maybe someone can work in a few miracles worked by St. Jorian into their fanfic.

Umm... that's given me an idea :D

(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

I'm guessing we should ping KK about this, but if he is to be canonized (at least in fandom) as St. Jorian the Martyr, I would think his saint's day would be the day of his martyrdom/execution.

Aerlys, I think you know way more about this topic than I do.  Care to agree with me or correct me if I'm wrong?  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

Quote from: DesertRose on March 10, 2015, 09:57:55 PMI would think his saint's day would be the day of his martyrdom/execution.

Aerlys, I think you know way more about this topic than I do.  Care to agree with me or correct me if I'm wrong?  :D

Yes, DR, usually a saint's feast day is the day they died. It is not unusual for two unrelated saints to have the same feast day, but normally one saint takes precedence in the liturgy, with either a commemoration of the other saint during Mass (a second collect/secret/postcommunion prayer), or no official Mass at all. Alternately, a second, private Mass for the saint may be said in some churches in lieu of the other saint. Sometimes, though, a feast day is observed on different day, but I would have to double check if there is a particular reason for it.

I would hazard a guess that St. Martin would take precedence, at least at first, across the 11 Kingdoms, but hopefully St. Jorian gets a commemoration. He may later merit a special Mass in Deryni congregations that may eventually take over Martinmas if his cultus becomes more popular, especially if he proves a more powerful intercession. Evie can fill us in on how that goes in her fanfic.  Those would he ever be become as popular as St.Camber?

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

Thank you, Aerlys.  That's good information to have.  :)

I went nosing around online and found that a lot of days have multiple saints associated with them.

I have a germ of an idea that Denis Arilan might be the first person to campaign for the canonization of Jorian, maybe a few years after the events of KKB.  Hmm...

Patron saint of Deryni priests to be sure, but possibly also patron saint of martyred/murdered Deryni in general?

revanne

I suspect that Arilan is going to have support from a possibly unexpected quarter and I already have an idea about the miracles.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on March 10, 2015, 11:14:11 PM

Patron saint of Deryni priests to be sure, but possibly also patron saint of martyred/murdered Deryni in general?

I like this idea.

--WARNING!!!--