• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Mini-Deryni Adventures--Amanuensis

Started by Evie, March 04, 2015, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

OK, because the lighting and focus is so bad in these photos (I had to use a low light setting to get decent shots without bright flash washing out the doll features, but that made it harder to hold the phone camera still enough for well focused photos), I actually prefer the filtered version of this comic book story, but since I know you folks have said you prefer the unfiltered photos, that's the version of the story that I'll give you. Let me know if you want to see the photo-filtered version later for comparison purposes.  It looks more comic-booky to me.

(An amanuensis, by the way, is a type of assistant. In the Middle Ages, this was usually a clerk who took dictation, copied manuscripts, and did other similar work...in other words, much like a modern-day secretary. It's perhaps not the best title for the new girl's actual job description, but I don't think there's a suitable medieval word for "Cultural Guide to the Future," do you?  ;D)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Fun!  :)

I haven't seen the word "amanuensis" in a long time.  It's not a word in common use anymore, more's the pity.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

This new word is all very well and good, but honestly I am having a hard time pronouncing it. ;D

The Duchess Richenda and Lady Helena have interviewed the new Female Amanuensis and all looks well indeed. But does our lady with the PHD have a name? I am wondering if she has a little Haldane blood in her ancestry from a millennia ago. She reminds me of Araxie.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Nice story!  I love the frame with Helena taking notes on her wax tablet while our Amanuensis types away on her laptop!   :D

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I couldn't resist having the modern laptop and medieval wax tablets in the same story, Jerusha. Glad you caught that.  ;D

Laurna, the word is pronounced something like "ah-man-you-EN-sis," if that helps. And yes, she has a name, which you'll learn when she's introduced to Duncan in the next chapter.  :) But I don't know about her being descended from Haldane or any other Deryni. She's an Alabama girl, so I suppose that possibility would depend on whether the Eleven Kingdoms ever existed in our own world or in some parallel universe. I tend to think of them as being in a very similar but not identical parallel universe.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Alaric looks a tad unnerved at the thought of being,managed ( subtly of course) by yet another woman.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)