• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rupert

Started by Elkhound, February 23, 2015, 08:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Do any of you have cats that like to crawl UNDER the covers with you?  During our latest cold snap, Rupert has taken to doing that.  It is like having a furry hot water bottle or heating pad.  Now that it has gotten a little warmer, he seems to have stopped, but it was nice (if a little strange) while it lasted.

Evie

Luke occasionally does that, though I usually try not to let him into the room at bedtime because he's more likely to try to sit on top of my chest, over the blankets, which keeps me from being able to turn over in the middle of the night.  However, my son once had the terrifying experience of waking up from a sound sleep to find an enthusiastically purring Luke half inside his boxer shorts, a little too close to the family jewels for comfort!   :o  The silly cat apparently thought that wide leg opening looked like an inviting place to nestle, and even though he was too big to crawl inside completely, he managed to wedge himself in up to the shoulder.  Another time, he woke up to find Luke burrowing into his armpit.

Gigi, on the other hand, prefers to lie behind knees or over my hips, and even though she's not allowed to stay in the room past bedtime either, she's cunning enough to sneak in beforehand and hide until I'm almost asleep and too tired to move, at which point she creeps out and assumes one of her preferred positions.  She will occasionally creep under the blanket, but only rarely, and only up near the top so she can get out from under them easily.  Since she's lighter than Luke, she doesn't bother me as much if she's in the bed with me, although my son once woke up abruptly because he found Gigi curled up on his chest attempting to nurse, which I'm certain must have been just as disconcerting as finding Luke's claws next to very tender portions of his anatomy!  Hm...maybe that's why he's left home, to get away from our cats!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

Our poor pussies are not allowed to sleep on or in the beds as although I can tolerate them in the house having them on the beds triggers my asthma. Shere Khan's little peculiarity is jealousy of books - if you try to read while he's on your lap he'll bat the book away, or if that doesn't work go for the hand!

Sorry Evie, Luke and Gigi clearly have issues!

Elkhound, I guess Rupert just sees you as a big, if non-furry, hot water bottle.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

My parents' current cats don't really do that, but Catarina used to do it if the weather was cold.  Of course, we live in Florida, where cold is not nearly as cold as in other parts of the country, but if the weather got near freezing, Catarina would come up to my (sleeping) mom, nudge her neck with a cold wet kitty nose to make her jump a little and open the covers, and then crawl under the covers and snuggle with one or both of my parents.

When Catarina was much younger (I think when I was an older teenager), I had the startling experience of waking up with her on my chest, sniffing my eyelids.  I'm not too sure how I wound up sleeping on my back to make it possible for her to stand on my chest, because I'm normally a side sleeper.  But ye gods, how it tickled to have her little short whiskers/fur around her nose up against my eyelids.  I opened my eyes and had CAT FACE right in my line of sight.

Cats are funny.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

When I had a backache, Zane used to curl up right next to where the pain was worst.  Rupert hasn't quite mastered that trick yet, although he seems extra affectionate when I'm not feeling well.

Evie

Quote from: revanne on February 23, 2015, 09:26:04 AM
Sorry Evie, Luke and Gigi clearly have issues!

They grew up living with me, so that's a given....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

My first year of college, I lived with my friends' family. They had a 27-pound cat, aptly named Puppy Cat. She was, quite literally, the size of a small dog.

I woke up one night with her sleeping on my chest, which was rather disconcerting  And suffocating.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I can empathize.  Luke is actually just an average size cat, but somehow it's like he manages to concentrate every bit of his weight into one paw at a time as he walks across me.  It's like being trod upon by a purring, furry anvil, and having him leap onto my chest is like getting CPR with a sledgehammer!  I've learned to instinctively protect my sternum by shielding it with my hand if I see him getting ready to leap up on me.  Gigi, on the other hand, is both petite and feather-light, to the point that sometimes we don't even notice when she jumps into our laps until she's been there for several minutes.

--WARNING!!!--

Shiral

Cats are heat seeking missiles that purr. You're the closest source of warmth, so when the weather gets arctic, it's logical that Rupert will find the warmest place to sleep, which is under the bed covers and next to you.  Francesca sometimes spends part of the night under the covers when it's colder than  usual.  But I general wake up with both cats sleeping next to me on the bed.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Jerusha

I can't speak for cats, but whippets are NOT happy unless they can curl up in the bed next to their owners.  They are wonderful furry hot water bottles, until they decide to stretch and drive their feet (and claws) into whatever body part happens to be in the way.

They are the origin of the concept of "three dog night."
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Rupert's sick.  He seems to have a pain in his belly, and is trying not to move any more than he can help.  He IS using the box OK--no accidents.  I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the AM.

Shiral

Sorry to hear that, Elkhound.  Hope the vet gets Rupert's troubles sorted out, so that he's soon feeling his regular self.
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

Elkhoun, I am so sorry to hear this. I really hope Rupert feels better in the morning.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I hope it's something very minor and Rupert recovers quickly. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

Aw, poor Rupert.  I hope it's some minor kitty tummy bug and he's better soon.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)