• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Discovery of Dhassa fan fiction

Started by Laurna, January 23, 2015, 05:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Several days ago, I was wandering the web looking for fan fiction in Deryni style. Low an behold, I discovered Dhassa!
http://dhassa.co.uk/haldanes/stories/index.htm
A few of our members at Rhemuth Castle may remember Dhassa, as I see several familiar names listed there.  I hope that my sharing the link here is acceptable, and I hope it will spark good memories for some.

For many nights, I have been reading a round robin story called Deryni Scrolls. The twists from different authors is entertaining. A certain lady of our acquaintance wrote a notable portion of it, and I really enjoyed it. I also know one of our men folk wrote a chapter or two as well, good job. ( You know who you are and I thank you.)  I was really getting into the crescendo of the final battle when... yikes... the to-be-continued was never put forth :(. I can imagine the difficulty, nearly a party wipe! Is it possible from that moment to come out with all players alive? I can only dare to hope that it was so.
The one thing I would say is that my favorite Duke was certainly not at his very best. Alaric, if you want to survive to King Kelson's Bride you need to do better, much better.  ;D  I won't ask this to get finished as I know many years have passed, but if someone ever does finish it, be sure to let us know.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Jerusha

I read that story a year or so ago and I still want to know what happens next!

Morgan may have a bit of an excuse - his opponent was inhabiting another man's body so maybe he was rather reckless with it versus having any sense of self-preservation.  At least that was the excuse I thought of at the time.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I read the story about a year ago too and was devastated that there was no ending. I can sympathize with both Morgan and Derry but how can they be reconciled in a way which restores trust between them. And what is going on anyway?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Spoilers in this thread, sorry.

Morgan may have a bit of an excuse - his opponent was inhabiting another man's body so maybe he was rather reckless with it versus having any sense of self-preservation.
Jerusha, I think you are right about that. At least that is how I can reconcile Alaric in the position he is in. So if Njall is the master than who is Njall? He seems to be a very powerful Deryni indeed. Can Azim take him on or Kelson and Azim together perhaps?
I am just glad there are four healers in the party. And just who is Renaud? I like him.
Alas, I realize one of the authors, a dear friend of KK and many of you here, has passed on, (Blessing to her, Rest in peace).
Perhaps the few other authors involved could someday entertain us further with insight as to what in the heck is truly going on. ;D
Regardless, it is a good tale.

Shiral

Err.... :-[  Have to confess I'd kind of forgotten about this story, for my part.  It began back when the nucleus of the present forum was over at alt.books.deryni on usenet in the dim before-time. The number of authors involved and scheduling/working/parenting and life in general rather complicated the continuity since the plot zig-zagged in new directions every few weeks. I had thought one of the other members of the team would take on the story from the point where I left it, but it didn't happen. Nobody seemed to know who's turn it was next, and so it... just fizzled out.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

Again---if you want it finished, finish it yourself!

Shiral

Well....we could ALL write an ending we personally want to see.....  ;D And then compare them for points of similarity.
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

I fear there is much more here than any one person could finish. (Shiral, please do not think yourself responsible for ending this, especially since this was a round robin story and you quite clearly did your part; wonderfully I might add.) Certainly several of us could finish the fight scene, but to tie off all the plot twists would take an in-depth study. Along with the plight of our main characters, there is the rift between Alaric and Derry(by the by, Sean is near death and needs to be saved), the politics of Maheal, our wonderful Uncle Azim, the characters of Valentin, Rebecca and Crispal from a north-land I can not even begin to imagine, there is Renaud and his wife with a very rare healing talent, and lastly, the Master who I suspect has some serious arcane abilities. And I haven't even mentioned if Arilan gets the Council involved. 

I am not even sure we should finish the story, it is intriguing where it is left off.

If we did, there are many talented people in our current group that could choose one small plot/character portion to play with. For instance, I really do like Renaud, a character who was first mentioned by Kyri in chapter 10 and embellished by Bernadette in chapter 11, but being obviously their creations, do we even have the right to move these characters along. Perhaps it is best to let sleeping dogs lie. I just do not know.