• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 394
Total: 394
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Map of Gwynedd

Started by Alice, January 18, 2015, 08:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

While going through a closet I found a cylinder roll that contained the map of the Eleven Kingdoms that Grey Ghost produced.  I want to get it framed and was wondering - what kind of frame did people use - color, style, where to get a frame (even custom), mats - I'd love some ideas and thanks.

Evie

The map fits into a standard size poster frame.  (24" x 36", I think.) I used one from an old framed poster my workplace was getting rid of, but you can find them at any arts and crafts store, or even stores like Wal-Mart or Target. I didn't mat mine; it would be difficult to do so without covering some area of the map, and doing so would probably make it too thick at the edges for a standard poster frame even if the mat retained the original size dimensions.  (Usually a mat obscures as little of the art as possible, so it goes several inches beyond the poster size --- in this case, around 30" x 42" or thereabouts. That would require a more expensive frame, especially if it needs to be custom made.)

I suggest taking the pre-made poster frame route, since you can usually find a decent selection between $15 to $30, depending on how fancy you want to get. I recently took an irregular sized poster photo (20" x 30" plus 2.5" mat) to be custom framed, and even with a 60% off coupon and with me picking one of the least expensive frames and acrylic rather than glass, the total cost was close to $200. Had it not been meant to be the focal piece of art for my office, I would have just had it mounted on good quality foamboard with a hanger put on the back, which runs around $20 if you have a framing shop do it rather than doing it yourself.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Another route you can go, which is a little more expensive than a poster frame, is to have it mounted on a board type backing, and then covered with a coating that prevents any moisture from getting to it, and also any fading.  I wish I could remember what this is called, but a good framing shop would know.  The man I take all my needlepoint to for framing recommended it over a poster type frame.  Many of his customers who want to preserve and display old newspaper pieces or other things made of paper have this done.  I wish I could remember what it is called, but I had it done over three years ago. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

I have mine laminated without a frame or back board and just tacked up to the wall.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

That is a good idea Jerusha.  I fear my map is resting open, loosely rolled across the top of my entire Deryni collection (minus those books that are pulled out and resting next to my computer),  I frequently unroll the map and look closely at it. I have been very careful so far, but I fear I may injure it some day. If I hang it on the wall in a poster frame it will have to be where there is good lighting and where it is not obscured by furniture to look at closely. Therefore it has not yet found a wall space. Bad me.
Perhaps this should inspire me to resolve the issue and find it a good spot. I wish I had room on my bedroom wall next to my lithograph of Godspeed by Leighton. That would be best, but there is just not enough space. Now that my sister has moved out, the sewing room wall has an open nicely lighted location.
May your horses have wings and fly!

bronwynevaine

My map looks good in an inexpensive poster frame ($10 at Walmart). I finally bought it--and TKD--for my birthday last month.
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

macsorcery

is this map for sale somewhere?
Holder of Codex #38 - I live in The Land, Gwynedd, and Aldur's Vale.

Evie

Quote from: dudeslife on May 26, 2015, 02:09:48 PM
is this map for sale somewhere?

Try looking up "Eleven Kingdoms map" on Amazon.com. It sometimes turns up on eBay also.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Eleven-Kingdoms-Deryni-World/dp/1887154140 Looks like Amazon is currently out of stock, but some of their affiliated sellers have it.

Also, if you buy the Deryni Adventure Game RPG sourcebook (which, btw, is a great resource even if you don't play role-playing games, especially if you write fanfic), there's a page-sized black and white version of the map in that.  http://www.amazon.com/Deryni-Adventure-Game-Aaron-Rosenberg/dp/1887154094/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432668183&sr=1-1&keywords=Deryni+Adventure+Game  I scanned a copy of that one for personal use so that I could zoom in close to specific portions of the map in a picture viewer for easier visibility. I am hoping when the electronic version of the Codex comes out, that it will have a zoomable map feature.

--WARNING!!!--

macsorcery

thanks. right after I posted that I checked Amazon and bought the last one. :) Guaranteed Delivery Date: Friday

Evie

The poster map is quite nice. I have mine in an inexpensive poster frame, hanging above my bedroom desk.

--WARNING!!!--

macsorcery

this is sold in a map tube right?

Shiral

I believe so, yes.
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!