collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Colin of Fianna - Traitor?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Imladris

• Squire
Colin of Fianna - Traitor?
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:35:20 pm »
I just finished reading the revised editions of Deryni Rising/ Checkmate. (read the originals in '75) and it brought to mind a question I recalled from the Codex. And that was it describes in the codex (both versions) that Colin was in on the conspiracy with Charissa and Ian to kill Brion.  It was my impression 33 years ago, and last week - that he was an innocent dupe.  What do the rest of you  (Katherine?) think.

Imladris  aka Rhys of the Green Mantle.

Offline Braniana

• Squire
Re: Colin of Fianna - Traitor?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:14:28 am »
I had always assumed Colin was an unwitting participant in the death of Brion.  It had been a while since I'd read that one, so I had to go back and check.  Codex 2 does say in Colin's entry that he was a conspirator.  Deryni Rising (original and author's cut) both have Colin getting his wine flask from an unknown lady, a flask from which both he and Brion drink.  In Ian Howell's forest meeting with Charissa, he is charged with keeping Colin away from Brion during the 'attack' just in case he does have Deryni blood, and Ian says he's been cultivating Colin.  In QfSC, Denis has the flask, which he 'retrieved' from Colin after Brion's death.  He knew Brion had injested merasha and had seen him drinking with Colin.  Arilan tells Nigel, Alaric, Duncan, Kelson, and Dhugal what he'd learned and that Colin told him where the flask had come from, though "he never remembered that part of our conversation" (implying Arilan used his powers to make Colin forget). Does beg the question of why Arilan felt Colin needed to forget.

My thoughts: Colin came from a wine-making family, and would be expected to carry quality product with him, which he would certainly share with the King if asked to.  Since Charissa wasn't ready to reveal herself (or her agent Ian) yet, she needed a subtle way to provide the merasha to make Brion vulnerable.  I assume she was the 'mystery lady' who gave Colin the flask.  His conversation with Brion doesn't make me think that he was trying to hide anything, or be anything other than courteous to his king. I had always assumed that Colin was just an innocent dupe, the means to the desired end.  But it is suspicious that Charissa and Ian would go to such lengths to keep Colin away from Brion when the heart-stopping spell was to be used.  If he was merely being used, why would they care about keeping him alive?  Unless it would have made Alaric suspect conventionally poisoned wine, rather than magic and Charissa?  But then Charissa's agents ended up killing Colin a few days later in the ambush near Valoret, so does it matter?  It could be that when the Codex says Colin was a conspirator, it simply means that he was used by the conspirators, rather than being an active participant; but if so, then why doesn't it say that?

Probably a whole lot of rambling, but I guess in the end I'll still choose to believe that Colin was innocent of active, intentional involvement in Brion's death.  And the whole issue of "Brother Theo" saying Colin was a conspirator could be just an accident.  After all, the good brother has made mistakes before. ;)

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:56:53 pm »
I don't think Colin was a traitor, either. Simply a naiive young man. Maybe a borderline wino, since Brion makes a crack about him "drinking up all the best wine as usual."  But it seems in their short exchange that there was friendliness between Brion and Colin that was more than just a courtier's dutiful courtesy to his king, even if Colin wasn't necessarily a close friend. But I sincerely doubt he ever meant Brion harm. Colin accepts that the King is teasing him and teases him in return about flattering him just to get more Fianna wine. I'm sure no one dared tease  Brion unless he himself permitted it. And being teased by the King might be enough to terrify certain people, wondering what he meant by it.

I would surmise that Colin was not on the Privy Council, and perhaps knew nothing about Charissa other than what was generally known--that she was the Marluk's daughter. I've always thought she was the woman who gave Colin the wine, too probably amid a lot of flirting to make the encounter seem so harmles he wouldn't question it. Unless of course, she gave him some alternative memories of the real encounter and a post-hypnotic suggestion to make sure he drank the wine during the hunt so that Brion would notice.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Imladris

• Squire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:22 pm »
Was always my take as well. Colin duped by a beautiful Mystery Woman.

Imladris

Offline derynifanatic64

• Earl/Countess
  • Uncle Mark Rules!!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »
Unless evidence to the contrary ever surfaces, it should be considered a safe bet that Colin was an innocent dupe of Charissa and Ian.  His death in the ambush a few days later could have been an innocent consequence of battle or a deliberate act to keep Alaric from ever finding out the truth of Brian's death.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Offline BalanceTheEnergies

• Knight/Dame
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:23 pm »
The application of the "traitor" label could have been in hindsight, more an opinion of other people rather than based on any evidence. If it became known that Brion was drugged that day, Colin might get tarred with the conspiracy brush regardless of his actual part in the matter. It's also true the Codex was "written" by a Brother Theophilus, who could have his own opinion on the issue.
Dubito ergo sum

Offline derynifanatic64

• Earl/Countess
  • Uncle Mark Rules!!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »
I also wonder exactly how Arilan got his hands on the flask in the first place.  If the flask still exists, I wonder if there are any psychic impressions on it from Charissa.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Offline whitelaughter

• Knight/Dame
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 03:01:52 am »
it is suspicious that Charissa and Ian would go to such lengths to keep Colin away from Brion when the heart-stopping spell was to be used.  If he was merely being used, why would they care about keeping him alive?
I have always assumed that they were worried that if he was Deryni that he would show symptoms of merasha poisoning...and so alert Brion to the threat.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by MidnightBlue
[Today at 07:19:43 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Jerusha
[Today at 06:22:20 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[Today at 06:19:48 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Demercia
[Today at 03:55:49 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[Today at 10:34:42 am]

* Who's Online