• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 73
Total: 74
DerynifanK
Google (4)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Nothing Was As It Should Be (AU)

Started by drakensis, January 06, 2015, 04:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerusha

Some "what ifs" are not worth pursuing, though.  I always wondered how it would have been if Kevin and Bronwyn had lived, only to realize that Kevin would probably have been hung beside his father in HD. 

Can you imagine Duncan and Morgan's rage at that?!!?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

drakensis

The name given to the male of the over-perfect self-insertion is Gary Stu. And they're not at all uncommon. Alas.

I think 'Mary Sue' stems from a particularly notable early example of a Star Trek fic.

QuoteDrakensis, I think you are on to something here. Short stories of what if could send our minds into the twilight zone without actually rewriting all the future consequences.  It sounds compelling to leave the consequences to the imagination thereby not completely destroying our favorite cannon while at the same time provoking things aren't what the should be feeling.   I'm intrigued, write on. Although, please don't mind if I tell you, I will shy away from wholesale mass murder. If you could keep the death count down, then I am reading on.
I'll give it a little more thought. The scenario I'm thinking off isn't quite coming together yet. However, another possible scenario does present itself.

Quote from: Jerusha on January 10, 2015, 04:25:53 PM
Some "what ifs" are not worth pursuing, though.  I always wondered how it would have been if Kevin and Bronwyn had lived, only to realize that Kevin would probably have been hung beside his father in HD. 

Can you imagine Duncan and Morgan's rage at that?!!?
Well at least poor Bronwyn would have survived. And they might have a niece or nephew.

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on January 10, 2015, 12:13:07 PM
So what would it be called if a man wrote himself in the story, a JohnBoy? Surely women aren't the only ones who do it.

A "GaryStu."  Or sometimes a "Wesley" after Wesley Crusher who was based on Gene Roddenberry's conception of his teenaged self.

Someone once put it, "Mary Sue isn't the most important person in the story--but she THINKS she is!"

When a MarySue/GaryStu is done well, it can be fun.  If done ineptly it can be highly annoying.